diamondd817

Gun Store with Lots of Guns?

What store in central/north NJ has the largest selection of handguns, especially revolvers?

I won't buy from them but if you want to go just go look, the NJFAG (NJ Fire Arms Guild) in Rahway normally has a nice selection.

i had to separate the Fire and Arms being they recognize the A..:icon_rolleyes:

I was at NJ Fire Arms Guild in Rahway the other day and was very impressed with the amount of firearms in stock. Probably the best selection of guns I have seen at a NJ shop and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I noticed some decent deals but the majority of firearms are priced sky high. Its a great place to check out if you want to finger bang some firearms.

try one of our sponsers please. Walter at Hackettstown Guns and Ammo has a good selection of handguns...

Yes to the OP, go any place you like to look but please go though one of the forum sponsors after you know exactly what you are looking for and here is a real easy way to do that. Fill this out and you will get price checks from many of the sponsors of the forum and they come through with some nice pricing and every one I have done business with have been great.

Yes to the OP, go any place you like to look but please go though one of the forum sponsors after you know exactly what you are looking for and here is a real easy way to do that. Fill this out and you will get price checks from many of the sponsors of the forum and they come through with some nice pricing and every one I have done business with have been great.

Copy you.

I should have mentioned, I want a small snubbie, J frame type.

The only J-frame snubbies that chamber more than 5 rounds are the ones chambered ine of the .32's (.327 Fed Mag / .32 H&R Mag / .32 S&W Long) or rimfire cartridges. You can get a 7-round J-Frame in .22 WMR and both Hornady and Gold Dot (Speer) are now making SD rounds in that caliber.

All J-frames are now built on the "magnum" J-frame (since 1996), which lengthened the cylinder opening to allow the use of .357 Mag length cartridges.

If you want 6 rounds in a small frame revolver, you need to find a Colt Detective Special - but they are larger than the J-Frame.

The alloy frame / stainless cylinder J-Frames, rated for +P .38 Spec ammo are great little guns. I didn't think it was worth the $300 premium to get the Scandium/Titanium .357 Mag version, when you only save 3 oz. and will most likely not shoot many .357's through it after the initial outing :icon_mrgreen: .

You can get short barreled versions of the K-Frame guns that hold 6-rounds. The 3" barreled K-frames are considered some of the best out there, but they are considerably heavier and larger than an alloy J-Frame, but not so much as the L-Frame guns (although there are lightweight versions of both the K & L-Frame guns).

Adios,

Pizza Bob.

• Like 1

The only J-frame snubbies that chamber more than 5 rounds are the ones chambered ine of the .32's (.327 Fed Mag / .32 H&R Mag / .32 S&W Long) or rimfire cartridges. You can get a 7-round J-Frame in .22 WMR and both Hornady and Gold Dot (Speer) are now making SD rounds in that caliber.

All J-frames are now built on the "magnum" J-frame (since 1996), which lengthened the cylinder opening to allow the use of .357 Mag length cartridges.

If you want 6 rounds in a small frame revolver, you need to find a Colt Detective Special - but they are larger than the J-Frame.

The alloy frame / stainless cylinder J-Frames, rated for +P .38 Spec ammo are great little guns. I didn't think it was worth the $300 premium to get the Scandium/Titanium .357 Mag version, when you only save 3 oz. and will most likely not shoot many .357's through it after the initial outing :icon_mrgreen: .

You can get short barreled versions of the K-Frame guns that hold 6-rounds. The 3" barreled K-frames are considered some of the best out there, but they are considerably heavier and larger than an alloy J-Frame, but not so much as the L-Frame guns (although there are lightweight versions of both the K & L-Frame guns).

Adios,

Pizza Bob.

Ok, 5 shot it is then. I want 38 special engraved on the gun (i don't want to shoot 357mag out of a J). External hammer da/sa. What is the classic J frame model.

Ok, 5 shot it is then. I want 38 special engraved on the gun (i don't want to shoot 357mag out of a J). External hammer da/sa. What is the classic J frame model.

The classic is the model 36, which is blued, all steel and chambered for .38 Spl. The SS counterpart to that is the model 60 - which from 1996 on was/is chambered for the .357 Mag, so you would have to get a pre-96 chmbered in .38 Spl only. The lightweights are the 37 & 38 and the SS counterparts, the 637 & 638. The 37/637 is an aluminum frame with either a carbon steel cylinder or a stainless cylinder. These are exposed hammer guns. Then there is the 38/638 which are identical to the 37/637 except they have a shrouded hammer (not hidden) that can still be thumb cocked. The shroud is to prevent snagging but there is still enough of a knurled hammer to catch with your thumb. All of the above are .38 Spl. Prior to 1996 would not be rated +P. After 1996 (Magnum frame) they would.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The classic is the model 36, which is blued, all steel and chambered for .38 Spl. The SS counterpart to that is the model 60 - which from 1996 on was/is chambered for the .357 Mag, so you would have to get a pre-96 chmbered in .38 Spl only. The lightweights are the 37 & 38 and the SS counterparts, the 637 & 638. The 37/637 is an aluminum frame with either a carbon steel cylinder or a stainless cylinder. These are exposed hammer guns. Then there is the 38/638 which are identical to the 37/637 except they have a shrouded hammer (not hidden) that can still be thumb cocked. The shroud is to prevent snagging but there is still enough of a knurled hammer to catch with your thumb. All of the above are .38 Spl. Prior to 1996 would not be rated +P. After 1996 (Magnum frame) they would.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the info. Looking at the S&W site, I like the 637.

I also found this Taurus 856 6-shot 38 special. Is this the same size as a J frame?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=614&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a model 60 that I bought new circa 1992 or 1993, I recall being told that it was rated for +P, and have shot some +P out of it (not much, mostly just to try it out). I do recall the sales guy saying that it was not a good idea to shoot a lot of +P out of it, because it would probably stress the gun, and lead to issues.

A very nice, J-frame-ish revolver 5-shot .38Spl/.357Mag is the Ruger SP101. Built like a tank and can handle hot rounds of .357Mag (if your hand can). While I'm a very large Smith wheelgun guy, I own a 2-1/4" SP101 .357Mag DAO (spurless hammer), which I carry concealed very regularly, and a 3-1/16" 9mm SP101 SA/DA that's one of my favorite moon-clip guns. Check them out too.