msg73

Are the cheaper 1911's worth it?

I really like my M&P40 as it feels great in my hands and shoots really well. I've never been a fan of pistols with hammers but I've recently been interested in 1911's. I know they shoot well and have a great trigger, but they are also heavy, potentially tempermental and have low round capacity (single stack). Maybe because it's a true classic semi-auto handgun, but I find myself itching to find out more about them. Are they really that much better than an M&P, XDm, Glock or any other newer generation pistol? I've been thinking about looking for a double stacked 1911 in 9mm (RIA tactical 1911A2, maybe). I'm looking in the $500-$600 range as to have a fair comparison to my M&P. Aside from a trigger job or Apex kit, there's not much more you can do to an M&P to make it perform better. Are the lower priced 1911s worth it?

In short, yes they are worth it. RIA and ATI make great 1911's on the low price spectrum. Numerous forums have lots of reviews on them, and pretty much all of them are positive. I have yet to buy a 1911 but I have been doing some research on both the Thunderbolt as well as the RIA's.

Compared to a plastic pistol, yes they are a bit heavier but they do feel GREAT in your hand and the recoil will help tame the .45 a bit. I don't think the weight is potentially temperamental to anything, unless you were talking about something else? And factory mags (7 or 8rds) may be a little low, but it is .45 and you can buy larger capacity magazines for them.

Edit: I think it also depends on what your looking for. If your looking for a super tight, lots of options, no BS 1911, then you probably should look in the $1k+ range. But for a range gun or even home defense pistol, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the lower priced 1911's.

Depends what you want the gun for. If you just want a 1911 in your collection and to have fun with at the range, then a RIA, STI Spartan, etc would be fine. However I would not consider using a 1911 for defensive purposes unless you have plenty of money and/or knowledge.

Flame suit on. Cue "my $300 1911 has been perfectly reliable" in 5 .. 4 .. 3 ..

it depends what you want to use it for. I have a RIA Tac that's a pleasure to shoot at the range and has been worry-free since I bought it. I also have a STI Spartan that I use for USPSA matches.

By early next I'm looking to get an STI Edge in .40S&W.

Worth is very subjective... to most people it's about the satisfaction that they get for the intended use.

My M&P40 will be used for HD and USPSA limited, so I'm really looking for a 1911/2011 in 9mm for the range and USPSA production. Another reason for the 1911 is to be a good platform to get into USPSA open.

This is a tough subject, especially since there really is no upper limit on what a 1911 can cost you, and the fact there are several varieties of 1911 from different manufacturers.

Also, it comes down to what you need the 1911 to do as well... Competition? Home defense? Just for fun?

I used to own a Kimber TLE/RL II... great shooter, usually goes for $975 give or take on any wear or accessories, but really didn't shoot it much. Bought an RIA Tactical 1911, made some mods to it (new grip, ditched the FLGR) and enjoy shooting that. Cost me about $550 when all said and done (new parts, FFL fees). Shoots everything I put through it and is still quite accurate.

My M&P40 will be used for HD and USPSA limited, so I'm really looking for a 1911/2011 in 9mm for the range and USPSA production. Another reason for the 1911 is to be a good platform to get into USPSA open.

Can't use a 1911/2011 in production with a single action trigger.

You can use a LDA from Para

I just bought an Auto Ordnance 1911A1 off of a forum member a few days ago.

I fired it last night. The Auto Ordnance is sort of like the Honda Accord of 1911s. It think its lower priced, but not the rock bottom ATI/RRA level.

Personally, I loved it. There is something about the 1911 that is very... mechanically satisfying.

The last time I shot a 1911 was 17 years ago. I've been firing a 9mm Beretta 92FS ever since and I considered myself a "Beretta Guy."

Shooting the 1911A1 was an amazing experience. Now I realize why people think that John Moses Browning was such a genius. I "get it."

Yes, the ammo is expensive. But I think you have to shoot it to "get it."

Magazine capacity... well that is an issue, but its a trade-off. Bigger bullet, smaller capacity. A hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .45 any day. I don't ever see myself using a gun for self defense, so capacity isn't an issue for me. But if you are at the point in your life where you have the money to have a gun in a collection or as a hobby, go for an inexpensive 1911 and just enjoy the way it handles. Keep the M&P for home defense, it's a fine gun as well, but it doesn't have "character."

So you show the 1911 to your friends. You show the M&P to your enemies.

Are they really that much better than an M&P, XDm, Glock or any other newer generation pistol?

I wouldn't say better or worse. Different is the best way to describe it. Of all the guns I've shot and own the 1911

(I have the Kimber TLE RL II) is my favorite to shoot. To me it has the most character. But I certainly wouldn't say

it's a better pistol than the other guns I've owned/shot. It has it's pros and cons like any other gun. Maybe rent

one and put a couple boxes through one to experience it again and see how you feel afterwards. Bring your M&P so you

can do a side by side comparo.

Are the lower priced 1911s worth it?

I've only owned a Kimber, but from what I've heard they are pretty much just as reliable/accurate as the ones that are

a little more expensive. With increase cost in a 1911 you really get better fit, finish, looks, features, but that

doesn't necessarily equate to a better shooting/more reliable pistol. I bought a Kimber because that's how I wanted my 1911 to look and feel.

At the PA State Championship IDPA match last month, the guy who placed 2nd overall in CDP (IDPA's .45 1911 category) was using an STI Spartan with a Dawnson Precision magwell, and some very light gunsmithing. He mentioned he had spent probably $700 for pistol, accessories, and trigger work. Seemed like a pretty good deal for a gun that didn't jam, had an excellent trigger and ate everything he put in it.

Food for thought, with regards to cheap 1911's not being competition-worthy.

I handled an STI Spartan at my dealer's shop the other day. It was put together pretty nicely. Trigger pull was very, very good (and I am very fussy about 1911 triggers). Not a bad grab for $650. If I had to buy my first 1911 then that would be the one.

At the PA State Championship IDPA match last month, the guy who placed 2nd overall in CDP (IDPA's .45 1911 category) was using an STI Spartan with a Dawnson Precision magwell, and some very light gunsmithing. He mentioned he had spent probably $700 for pistol, accessories, and trigger work. Seemed like a pretty good deal for a gun that didn't jam, had an excellent trigger and ate everything he put in it.

Food for thought, with regards to cheap 1911's not being competition-worthy.

I handled an STI Spartan at my dealer's shop the other day. It was put together pretty nicely. Trigger pull was very, very good (and I am very fussy about 1911 triggers). Not a bad grab for $650. If I had to buy my first 1911 then that would be the one.

I have seen more than a few people say, for the price difference between the Spartan and the Trojan to save up for a a little longer and get the Trojan that people would be a lot lot happier in the end. Now if a used in very good condition Spartan happened along for a nice prices I can;t say I wouldn't consider it. :icon_mrgreen:

I have seen more than a few people say, for the price difference between the Spartan and the Trojan to save up for a a little longer and get the Trojan that people would be a lot lot happier in the end. Now if a used in very good condition Spartan happened along for a nice prices I can;t say I wouldn't consider it. :icon_mrgreen:

Happier about what though? The only *meaningful* difference between the Spartan and Trojan is aesthetics. The Spartan is a parkerized and the Trojan is blued. There are other attributes that are different between the two, however, they all lend no difference to the shooting experience. The spartan has a cast frame and is made overseas but both have the same quality STI internals and control and are both known to be reliable. For $300 more you do get a prettier gun though if that's a preference, but certainly not any more functional. I have a spartan and weighed the differences and am glad i went with it. The action was already pretty crisp and with a quick sear spring tune, got the pull down to clean and safe ~2.5 lbs. I'm really enjoying this one and even moreso than my Dan Wesson since i dont care if it gets banged up! lol

Happier about what though? The only *meaningful* difference between the Spartan and Trojan is aesthetics. The Spartan is a parkerized and the Trojan is blued. There are other attributes that are different between the two, however, they all lend no difference to the shooting experience. The spartan has a cast frame and is made overseas but both have the same quality STI internals and control and are both known to be reliable. For $300 more you do get a prettier gun though if that's a preference, but certainly not any more functional. I have a spartan and weighed the differences and am glad i went with it. The action was already pretty crisp and with a quick sear spring tune, got the pull down to clean and safe ~2.5 lbs. I'm really enjoying this one and even moreso than my Dan Wesson since i dont care if it gets banged up! lol

Thanks for the feedback Jon, I was only relaying what I have been told by others, who either have Trojans or one of the other presently out of my price range STI's.

I have not shot any of the STI's as of yet, and I will not except any offer at this time to shoot one, I wouldn't want to get the itch to have one and when I get an itch for a gun, I have to have it, including the Spartan.:icon_mrgreen:

I wouldn't say better or worse. Different is the best way to describe it. Of all the guns I've shot and own the 1911

(I have the Kimber TLE RL II) is my favorite to shoot. To me it has the most character.

I think that's a good way to describe it. I think if I'm just going to buy one gun to keep in the house for home defense and shoot once a year, I would get a Glock 19, M&P9 or Springfield XD9 or Ruger GP100 revolver. Point and shoot. No manual safety to worry about. Can't go wrong.

But I like guns with wood and metal. I can't ever imagine passing a Glock or an M&P9 down to my son when I get old. But I can certainly imagine giving him My 92FS or my 1911.

Save your money and buy a good quality 1911. The cheap ones may be good out of the box but the softer metals they are made of will not stand the test of time and wear. IMHO. I do think the plastic guns will stand the test of time. I have not heard of anyone wearing one out. I have seen many rusty "metal and wood" guns on Gunbroker that were pretty much ruined by neglect.

Save your money and buy a good quality 1911. The cheap ones may be good out of the box but the softer metals they are made of will not stand the test of time and wear. IMHO. I do think the plastic guns will stand the test of time. I have not heard of anyone wearing one out. I have seen many rusty "metal and wood" guns on Gunbroker that were pretty much ruined by neglect.

I kind of figured as much. I could easily see myself starting off with a $500 gun and then get the itch to get a higher quality 1911...happens to me all the time. I agree with Harry...I don't want to shoot a nice 1911 as I know I'll have to have it! Ignorance is bliss, so keep them 1911's away from me :)

STI's are good, S&W are good.

I really like the Desert Eagle 1911. Made by BUL in Israel for Charles Daily by the specs created by USPSA/IPSC/IDPA shooters. Magnum Research came in and took over and stole the project away and is now the Desert Eagle 1911. The deal itself is sour, which caused CD to go belly up, however the pistol is fantastic!

Should be high $600's, low $700's by now. Wish I snapped up one when they came out and were only mid 500's, till people woke up and realized how nice a gun it is.