So what's the deal with 'No Returns on Firearms' signs in shops, in NJ, and around the country?

Cause it's like of you get a lemon, you're s*** outta luck.

I got a simple lever gun back in the spring, and it has never functioned, and has been back for factory repair twice already, and is ready for the third trip, and I'm non to happy about it, yet, for whatever reason, I can't return it.

WTF?

Im sure its because they all come with warranties and if you just return it, the shop will just have to eat all repair costs as they were not the original purchaser. People can take advantage and return guns they "don't want"

Im not saying I agree, that's just business.

If it is a rifle, it may be a bit easier. The problem is... the cost of no returns is built into a lower price for the gun.

If the item is special order, you really are hanging the dealer out to dry.... why?

Lets say it is a gun you bought, and the dealer ordered it for you. Dealer pays cost plus shipping. You pay by CC, dealer eats the CC fee. Now say you return it, dealer is stuck with the gun, and if he can return it, he has to pay shipping back to distributor, he is stuck with the chargeback/CC fees for returns, the NICS fee that you might be arguing over. Between all of those fees, it can easily be $50 to $75 for a $200 gun.

If it is a handgun, especially in this state, guess what, you already burned your permit.

If you shop retail and pay over $600 for a glock, sure I can buy that, for most anything else, and it is a dealer who orders the guns for you... deal with the manufacturer. They are the only ones that can make it work.

For all of the above reasons, that is why you buy used... if you don't like the item, you can resell it for about the same cost.

If it is a rifle, it may be a bit easier. The problem is... the cost of no returns is built into a lower price for the gun.

If the item is special order, you really are hanging the dealer out to dry.... why?

Lets say it is a gun you bought, and the dealer ordered it for you. Dealer pays cost plus shipping. You pay by CC, dealer eats the CC fee. Now say you return it, dealer is stuck with the gun, and if he can return it, he has to pay shipping back to distributor, he is stuck with the chargeback/CC fees for returns, the NICS fee that you might be arguing over. Between all of those fees, it can easily be $50 to $75 for a $200 gun.

If it is a handgun, especially in this state, guess what, you already burned your permit.

If you shop retail and pay over $600 for a glock, sure I can buy that, for most anything else, and it is a dealer who orders the guns for you... deal with the manufacturer. They are the only ones that can make it work.

For all of the above reasons, that is why you buy used... if you don't like the item, you can resell it for about the same cost.

But if it's defective and has been returned numerous times without correction, some provision must be available.

Lemons do accure.

But if it's defective and has been returned numerous times without correction, some provision must be available.

Lemons do accure.

So if it is a lemon, the dealer should be stuck with it?

If it is truly a lemon, write to corporate, write to the BBB, share the story. I guarantee you you would get more response than that.

Shoving the blame/leaving the dealer who was not one bit responsible for the defective gun is just immoral.

dont stick it to the dealer but the dealer should help the manufacturer make good..Thus the reason for the dealer..

That was my point. The dealer is there because he (hopefully) has built somewhat of a relationship with the distributor who hopefully has a line to a sales guy at the manufacturer who can move mountains and make stuff right.

What OP is describing should at this point result in a brand new gun to him (IMO). It's what I would do if I were the manufacturer - my thinking is that I've already lost my profit on this gun, at least let me come out with a decent customer service reputation. Once a gun goes back 2x, I bet all the profit built into the gun is GONE with having two guys at the factory attempting to fix it.

Usually when a gun is defective and is brand new ,under warranty. The manufacturer if they can not fix the issue after a few trys they will buy the gun back from you or give you credit toward another model. I've seen Remington do it for a few people that couldn't get issues resolved on their shotguns. Dealers are suppose to be the customers advocate to the manufacture and help keep pressure on manufacture to do right thing.

I am sure most vendors on the forum wouldn't have an issue going to bat for their customers. I personally do not believe in having the dealer go crazy. Most manufacturers send you a shipping label, so I can easily take care of that. Why should the dealer foot the $$ to ship the gun back?

I purchased a savage, had issues right out of the box. Called and sent the gun in on my dime. I complained immediately that I shouldn't have to foot the shipping bill on a gun that I just bought an had issues with. They reimbursed me once I sent them a copy of the shipping cost. Took them a month, but they did it.

If I was the OP. I would at this time be in contaact with them, that it already was back twice and I was still having issues? I would be calling every day, doing internet searches for CEO's etc to get my issue resolved.

I am sure most vendors on the forum wouldn't have an issue going to bat for their customers. I personally do not believe in having the dealer go crazy. Most manufacturers send you a shipping label, so I can easily take care of that. Why should the dealer foot the $$ to ship the gun back?

Who says the dealer is footing the bill? They've been shipping on the manufacturers dime.

Why wouldn't a store be held accountable for the merchandise they sell? A warranty from the manufacture doesn't mean the retailer gets to weezle its way out of selling u a bad product.I speak in terms of a firearm that malfunctions, not hey i dont like this gun after i used it. It's the retailers job, in my opinion, to take care of the customer when they purchase from them, why the hell else are they there? u might as well not even buy from them at that point and just do transfers. Your paying a premium if you buy retail, whats the point in paying that extra cash? other then supporting a store which refuses to support you.

And Gun Blob is right, they retailer doesnt foot the bill, maybe the shipping back to the manufacture if they dont reimburse it. And again, why would u be required to pay extra just to get the gun in the condition it should have originally came.

I also believe that warranties are in place when a good product that you purchases fails after a period of time, not something that is a POS out of the box(lemon).

Why wouldn't a store be held accountable for the merchandise they sell? A warranty from the manufacture doesn't mean the retailer gets to weezle its way out of selling u a bad product.I speak in terms of a firearm that malfunctions, not hey i dont like this gun after i used it. It's the retailers job, in my opinion, to take care of the customer when they purchase from them, why the hell else are they there? u might as well not even buy from them at that point and just do transfers. Your paying a premium if you buy retail, whats the point in paying that extra cash? other then supporting a store which refuses to support you.

And Gun Blob is right, they retailer doesnt foot the bill, maybe the shipping back to the manufacture if they dont reimburse it. And again, why would u be required to pay extra just to get the gun in the condition it should have originally came.

I also believe that warranties are in place when a good product that you purchases fails after a period of time, not something that is a POS out of the box(lemon).

If you are dealing with a B&M store that is making a healthy profit, I will buy that argument. You do realize with the price request feature on the site, most of the dealers are basically doing you a favor, and I know at least 4 on here, are doing it to help the hobby people, and not to eek out an extra buck. They all have full time jobs.

They make less money selling you a new gun, then doing transfers all day long. I can promise you, they would almost rather do transfers all day long and make $35 for 30 mins of work, then make $15 on the gun.

If you bought it from a retail store, such as Cheyenne Mountain or Effingers that are out to make as much profit as they can... absolutely take it back, they should absolutely help you with the problems, even though the issue is with the manufacturer.

Where did you buy it from?

Well come Monday, both I'm calling the company directly to formally complain. I'm done with this rifle, I want a totally different model.

The store has been very helpful with me regarding this lemon so far to date. I'm just extremely frustrated that it's been back twice, the company had it for repairs for FOUR months, and when they shipped it back, they did not include any information on what was done. So the next day I loaded it up, and on the first cycle, JAM.

I don't think anything was even done. All the internals look like they did when I sent it back the 2nd time, all scratched up due to have to dig the cartridges out.

Well come Monday, both I'm calling the company directly to formally complain. I'm done with this rifle, I want a totally different model.

The store has been very helpful with me regarding this lemon so far to date. I'm just extremely frustrated that it's been back twice, the company had it for repairs for FOUR months, and when they shipped it back, they did not include any information on what was done. So the next day I loaded it up, and on the first cycle, JAM.

I don't think anything was even done. All the internals look like they did when I sent it back the 2nd time, all scratched up due to have to dig the cartridges out.

As far as I'm concerned, the dealer at which you purchased this, should have made you whole and taken care of this. If it's been f*cked up since day-1, they should have taken it back, given you a new one and dealt with the maker. If they're not going to do that and make you whole, what the hell do we need dealers for other than transfers? I'll assume it was a local dealer to you, which means it cost you more than you could have purchased it elsewhere. With anything other than automobiles and houses, you would have been able to take it back for an exchange. Why should firearms be any different?

My guess would be that it is like a car a bit. Once it leaves the dealers front door it loses a bit of value. If it is shot it loses even more. I've never understood this. I rather buy a used gun that has had some rounds cycled through it than one that has never been fire. It makes it a proven firearm, not a possible lemon.

The real reason most likely is that they get away with it, so they do it.

Well back to the original question, what is the deal with not being able to return firearms?

Snooping around on the interwebs, this complaint is nothing new, and has been brought up in other forums, and in other States.

Retailers are not obligated under the law to take back any products, most will do so as a courtesy, to retain customer loyalty. Retailers are only obligated to deliver what you paid for, and inform you (by posting conspicuous signs) of what their return policy is. If a store posts "NO RETURNS" or "ALL SALES FINAL" they do not have to take anything back if they don't want to.

As far as firearms go, I would imagine they won't take them back for the same reason as a new car can't be returned, too much paperwork and and too much lost money when something gets returned, some stores (like Dick's) don't sell used guns, so what are they going to do with it? They probably can't just send it back to the manufacturer for a credit like it was a fishing reel.

I think it could be for safety reasons, too. Let's face it -- there are some sick people in the world. Someone could tamper with a gun, then return it. If the gun were re-sold, the next person to fire it could get hurt. Yes, it is a long shot, but retailers and manufacturers will avoid anything that could increase their liability.