Bully

Soon to Purchase my First Firearm

Yup, just like it says, I'm working on my first firearm purchase. I am looking at the Sig P-226 Elite in 9mm. However, I am open to any and all recommendations. I am looking for primarily a range gun and to possibly compete at a local level. I would like to take some firearms classes with my 11 year old step son as well and will look into a gun for him at a later date but I would like to have something of my own to take along.

I came upon the 226 as the other guns I was intereted in were either not available or too expensive. I would like a metal framed gun as I like the heft in my hand and will not be carrying (I don't think they let hairdressers carry) so the weight won't be an issue. I would like a full size gun for accuracy and comfort. 9mm for the stopping power in the home, god forbid and the reasonable price to shoot it on the range. Sig as they are reputed to be quite reliable. How is their customer service?

To that end, what shop would y'all recommend? I have been to Ramsey Outdoor, both Paramus and Ramsey. I'll never set foot in the Paramus store again. Less than pleasant experience with the sales guy. In Ramsey, I've dealt with a few folks and had great experiences. Been to Meltzer's and found them to be very knowledgeable and freindly. I'm open to suggestions and willing to pay a couple of dollars more for really good initial and follow up service rather than buy online. However, if it's a hundred or more dollars after shipping and FFL fees, I'll buy online.

Thanks and I look forward to the responses.

C

I've purchsed from Ramsey Outdoor in the past. I agree that the Paramus store is a bunch of a--holes. When I was looking to buy my first gun they wouldn't even let me touch a gun without and FID and he had a nasty attitude too. The guys in Ramsey are very friendly and do not rush you at all. I went to buy a gun there 3 weeks ago during my lunch hour and still made it back to work on time. I also have a 226 Enhaced Elite and love it! Definetly not the cheapest gun out there but in my opinion it's worth it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with that gun. I love Sigs and the 226 is a

great firearm. My only advice is to go somewhere and rent some other makes and models

just so you get a good sense of what else is out there and how you like shooting them.

If you're willing to spend that much your options are vast.

I'd echo on the comments on going somewhere where you can rent. I've been shooting for 3 months. My first handgun I bought was a Sig P226 USPSA 9mm (has the beavertail like the Elites), then a 9mm Walther PPQ (striker fired), and my last handgun is a Commander sized (4.25") 1911 in .45 caliber.

While some may have different views, going striker fired for your first handgun has a number of benefits, they're easier and quicker to clean, they're more simple, they're reliable etc, and typically they are cheaper. Looking at a Walther PPQ, Glock 19 or 17, Springfield Armory XD or Smight & Wesson M&P are all good options. They are plastic (i.e. light), they are cheap, they all come in 9mm, and many of them come with interchangeable backstraps which makes it easier to find a better fit in your hand which will improve your consistency/enjoyment of shooting.

Looking at DA/SA hammer action then Sig P226, P228, P229 are all good options although will cost a little more. Also consider CZ 75 as another option, and also the Baby Eagle. Once again I'd recommend in 9mm as the ammunition is much cheaper (50 rounds for $10) and you'll be able to enjoy shooting without it becoming critical to start reloading your own ammunition. The Sigs and CZ are generally metal guns (they do have plastic options) and so will be heavier, however they also come with .22 conversion kits which is a good way to improve your trigger control more cheaply.

Firearms are a personal thing. My wife (MrsWombat) likes to ensure that her firearms are aesthetically pleasing. I am less concerned on looks and more concerned on form and function.

The 3 handguns I have now bought give me good coverage on styles. i.e. DA/SA hammer (Sig), SA hammer (1911), Striker Fired (PPQ)

I'm still undecided on which I prefer, however it also depends on whether I am shooting at the range, carrying, or starting to go to competitions.

I'm personally not a fan of revolvers, although they are also a good first choice.

hth

TheWombat

I am a huge SIG fan and I have a p226 Elite in 9mm and I have a .40 sliide also. The greatest thing about the 226 is the frame is the same through all calibers. So you have the chance to swap out if you choose.

If you would like to try one out before you buy, lemme know.

BTWM SIG's rock and the p226 is a great piece.

I got my SIG from TJ Sporting Arms, his prices are great and his service is unbelievable.

Check the price checker here on the forum and also take a ride, either you or both you and your Step son and shoot the guns you are looking at. You have a choice of Shore Shot and RTSP that rent guns and I do think both rent by the caliber, meaning you can shoot different guns of the same caliber to compare them.

Let me force my views on you.

Living in NJ....

9mm:

Glock 19 Gen 4 = DA, striker fired, 15rds, compact, accurate, reliable and as durable as they come, no manual safety.

Beretta Compact 9mm = DA/SA, Hammer fired, 15rds, compact, accurate, reliable, manual safety and decocker (type f)(type g = decocker, no safety)

Both can be used for range, HD, and CC. Most people, including myself find the compacts as or more comfortable and accurate as the full size counterparts. Don't overlook the compacts.

Sigs are more expensive and offer no advantage over the Glock or Beretta. At first I would only buy a metal framed pistols ( Beretta 92fs & a 96fs)thinking they would be the superior pistol. I have come to learn (at my expense) that the "plastic" guns are just as good if not better than the metal framed guns. I now only own "plastic" autoloaders.

My personal favorite:

Glock 21 Gen 4 = 45acp 13+1rds in a standard full size handgun. Reliable, accurate, big bore, range, hd, no cc, and just plain old fun as ****.

But, if I only could have 1-9mm, it would be the Glock 19 gen4.

If the Sig makes you think, "Wow, I really want to go to the range and shoot this thing right now," get the Sig.

Also, get a second permit and consider getting a .22 semi or revolver to accompany your Sig right off the bat. It gives you an excellent training platform to work on fundamentals for yourself (on the super cheap), with the added bonus you'll have a gun you're very familiar with when it comes time to teach your son.

My thoughts, anyway. Good luck & have fun.

Feel them before you buy because i loved the Sigs and hated the glocks and when i went to buy one i was holding the Sig 226 elite in one hand and the glock 17 Gen 4 in my other and liked the glock more i felt it sighted a lot more naturally and was right there when the sig was nose diving everytime i sighted it in and i ended up buying the glock

Thanks again for all the replies.

I went to a shop yesterday and put the Elite .40 in my hands. While I LOVE the looks of the gun, the grips are a little too fat for me. I put a "regular" 226 in my hand and love the feel. So, I've (again) switched it up. I'm still looking at the Sig's, however the model has changed. I will let all know what I decide by monday, most likely.

And yes, looking at that gun makes me want to shoot. I thought I would want a 1911, but after meeting the Sig, I'm ready to put $$ on the table.

C

• Like 1

I would get the Sig Elite in 40sw (or 357 sig) then buy a barsto conversion barrel in 9mm. Thats what I did and I had one handgun that would shoot 3 calibers with a barrel swap (and a mag change if shooting 9mm). It was a great combo.

I went to a shop yesterday and put the Elite .40 in my hands. While I LOVE the looks of the gun, the grips are a little too fat for me. I put a "regular" 226 in my hand and love the feel. So, I've (again) switched it up. I'm still looking at the Sig's, however the model has changed. I will let all know what I decide by monday, most likely.

And yes, looking at that gun makes me want to shoot. I thought I would want a 1911, but after meeting the Sig, I'm ready to put $$ on the table.

C

Well if your looking at 40S&W's now, that changes everything. In 40S&W I buy full size pistols living in NJ being most are right at the limit of 15rd mags. It opens up whole lot more options. Some fantastic 40's with reasonable prices:

Beretta PX4 Storm = 14rds, DA/SA, rotating barrel, hammer fired

S&W M&P = 15rds, DAO, striker fired

Glock 22 Gen4= 15rds, DAO, striker fired

C

It is easy to fit the new style E2 grips onto a P226 and you can buy the kit for around $45 from Top Gun Supply. The E2 grips result in a noticeably thinner grip than the standard plastic grip. I would recommend you try both an Elite and non Elite to see whether you prefer the Sig Beaver Tail or not

hth

TheWombat

C

Yes the wood grips are large. The remedy to that costs ~15 bucks and 5 minutes work with a screw driver. Get a set of houge rubber grips and slap them on.

I like the solid feel and weight of the all stainless.

IMG_0832-1.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. I am not considering a .40 to purchase. I am still on the 9mm. Just looking at the Elite and they happened to have the .40 in stock so I went and fondled it. They had another Sig 226 as well and that grip was a good deal more comfortable. I'm currently swooning over the gun that I believe I will purchase, just waiting to get a couple of prices on it.

FWIW, I like this board. Nice, friendly, and knowledgeable. Good place.

C

Sigs are fantastic guns and would trust my life to one any day. They are extremely reliable, great to shoot, feel awesome in the hand, easy to use/clean, plenty of accessories, and then once you decide to start collecting, you got plenty of choices. =)

If you like the feel of the P226, see if you can find an HK P30L. It is about the same price nowadays, and it is polymer frame, however..... it is an HK, much better ergonomics (with 3 sets of 3 different panels, back, and each side, instead of just one interchangeable backstrap. Recoil is very very light,and extremely reliable. Read up about the HK P30 torture test, one trainer has over 90,000 trouble free rounds, with an average of 7,000 rounds between cleanings. It is one of the only guns I kind of regret selling.

The other alternative, is to look into CZ's. CZ 75, or CZ85 if you are lefty, or their clones in the EAA Witness series of guns. Much thinner overall profile, cheaper price point, smaller grip, and exceptional ergonomics. Did I mention Exception Ergonomics? CZ's are mid $500s, EAA Witness guns are sub $400 or so. AMAZING value of a gun.

You do have good polymer striker fired guns, but don't drink the Kool Aide. A sig, an HK, a CZ, are above and beyond in the overall cache of firearms over "tactical tupperwear."

(noted exception, HK P7 PSP.)

While some may have different views, going striker fired for your first handgun has a number of benefits, they're easier and quicker to clean, they're more simple, they're reliable etc, and typically they are cheaper. Looking at a Walther PPQ, Glock 19 or 17, Springfield Armory XD or Smight & Wesson M&P are all good options. They are plastic (i.e. light), they are cheap, they all come in 9mm, and many of them come with interchangeable backstraps which makes it easier to find a better fit in your hand which will improve your consistency/enjoyment of shooting.

WHAT?!?!!?

Please qualify and substantiate your statements?

1. They are easier and quicker to clean.

How? It takes me as long to rip apart a CZ/HK/Sig than an XD/Glock/M&P. Same thing for cleaning, especialy if you are talking a real detail strip, then a 1911 wins hands down.

2. They are reliable.

Compared to what? Are you saying they are more reliable than hammer fired guns? Proof anywhere?

I have seen at the ranges, at matches, and here, more failures at least as much failures with striker fired guns, than with hammer fired guns.

Dead trigger, light primer strikes, etc. Can we recall how S&W messed up with their triggers in the initial generation of M&P's?

Furthermore, find one striker fired gun that has as nice an overall trigger pull than a DA/SA gun, I will not even bring up a proper 1911 Single Action trigger.

They are cheaper.... than what?

A New M&P is mid $500's, a new Glock is mid $500's, a new Walther PPQ is mid $500's.

a CZ is mid $500 and less, almost any EAA Witness/Tanfoglio, is less than $500, you can get many 1911's for less than $500, you can get plenty of awesome used Sigs, H&K USP's, for less than $500. You can get a fantastic polymer Sig SP2022/2009 for under $400.

Just saying.

Just to second Makism here.

My buddy owns a glock and I own a p30 (not the long version) and cleaning is exactly the same for normal use. Slide off, clean barrel/recoil spring, slide, done. Sure they both run well but I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Shooting a nice Sig or HK just feels better IMO. It is probably one of those intangible things that cannot be quantified but fit and finish feel just amazing. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the CZ since I have not had the pleasure of shooting one but there are always great reviews floating around.

WHAT?!?!!?

Please qualify and substantiate your statements?

1. They are easier and quicker to clean.

How? It takes me as long to rip apart a CZ/HK/Sig than an XD/Glock/M&P. Same thing for cleaning, especialy if you are talking a real detail strip, then a 1911 wins hands down.

2. They are reliable.

Compared to what? Are you saying they are more reliable than hammer fired guns? Proof anywhere?

I have seen at the ranges, at matches, and here, more failures at least as much failures with striker fired guns, than with hammer fired guns.

Dead trigger, light primer strikes, etc. Can we recall how S&W messed up with their triggers in the initial generation of M&P's?

Furthermore, find one striker fired gun that has as nice an overall trigger pull than a DA/SA gun, I will not even bring up a proper 1911 Single Action trigger.

They are cheaper.... than what?

A New M&P is mid $500's, a new Glock is mid $500's, a new Walther PPQ is mid $500's.

a CZ is mid $500 and less, almost any EAA Witness/Tanfoglio, is less than $500, you can get many 1911's for less than $500, you can get plenty of awesome used Sigs, H&K USP's, for less than $500. You can get a fantastic polymer Sig SP2022/2009 for under $400.

Just saying.

1. I can clean my Walther PPQ quicker than my Sig P226, and much much quicker than my wife can clean her 1911. As a new shooter I would assume I am representative of time to clean for the original poster. I haven't timed myself but I'd guess PPQ=20 minutes, P226=30 minutes, 1911=60 minutes and time spent chasing flying springs and retaining spring covers.

2. I am not comparing.. :icon_mrgreen: I didn't say 'more' reliable, I just said 'reliable'. Glocks, as much as I dislike them, are a reliable handgun. New people to firearms may assume that plastic and/or striker fired guns are less reliable than metal and/or hammer fired guns which is not the case.

3. I am not comparing.. :icon_mrgreen: I didn't say 'cheaper', I just said 'cheap'. A NIB Glock 17/19 is several hundred dollars cheaper than a Sig P226/229, you can find NIB Glocks and PPQs for the mid/high $400s on the Internet at present. I agree that some brands e.g. H&Ks have a price premium. I also agree that the Sig P2022 is also a great buy, however the original poster was discussing metal Sigs (i.e. P226s)

I own a PPQ, P226 and a 1911. I very much like the P226. I would also say that the cost of ammunition over the lifetime of the firearm will be significantly more than the original cost of the firearm. I also prefer the PPQ to the P30 having tried both :-) As I've previously posted I also had CZ75s, H&KP30s, Sig P2022, Baby Eagles etc on my shortlist when I was buying.

hth, either way the firearms people are suggesting are all good. My original comment in my first post still stands that I recommend the original poster try many firearms out as rentals before buying as it is very much a personal perspective as to what handguns are 'the best', 'most suitable' etc. There are some people who (shame on them) do not find Sigs as comfortable to hold/shoot as some plastic fantastic guns.

hth

TheWombat

Why is it taking you longer to clean the Sig than the PPQ?

Take slide off, barrel, spring, guide rod. $5 tops.

1911 is 10 mins tops.

I would argue it takes longer to clean mags than the gun. =) Only reason why a 1911 is longer is because you need to use something to take the bushing off.

In any case, a da/sa gun can teach more about firearms in general than a striker fired gun.

Then again, I am biased, and a horrible russian.

I am not crazy about AK's or russian firearms, and I think the 1911 is by far the most awesomest firearm platform for a handgun. Followed by the Browning High Power, and then CZs.

Why is it taking you longer to clean the Sig than the PPQ?

Take slide off, barrel, spring, guide rod. $5 tops.

1911 is 10 mins tops.

I would argue it takes longer to clean mags than the gun. =) Only reason why a 1911 is longer is because you need to use something to take the bushing off.

In any case, a da/sa gun can teach more about firearms in general than a striker fired gun.

Then again, I am biased, and a horrible russian.

I am not crazy about AK's or russian firearms, and I think the 1911 is by far the most awesomest firearm platform for a handgun. Followed by the Browning High Power, and then CZs.

You're obviously more experienced than me at cleaning hence it takes you less time :icon_mrgreen: . While we seem to be heading off topic if you look at the inside of the slide of the PPQ there are far less 'nooks and crannies' than on the inside of the slide of a new model P226. My P226 is currently at GrayGuns however when it returns I will take some photo comparisons.

hth

TheWombat

Interestinig direction that this thread has taken. All good stuff.

I am interested in a Sig. If anyone in North Jersey has the time or inclination to let a newbie handle their gun, please let me know. My days off are sunday/monday. Bayonne is an easy commute for me if you want to meet up there. I know it pretty well as I used to live there. If you want/need Bayonne references on my character, just ask Danny or Peewee at Bay Cycle. PM me or reply to the thread and I will PM you. Just remember to check your inbox.

Thanks all for the help.

Christopher

check out http://www.casosguns.com/

great place. stop by & look.

they can special order for you if you don't see something in stock

as for 226, get a stainless 229 if you go with elite stainless cause it gets heavy after 200-300 rounds.

229 is I think is lighter so can check for yourself and the barrel is shorter