NickC

Cleaning Patches vs Plain Old Paper Towels

So, i got this sweet Mosin M44 from Ray Ray and have been shooting the $h1t out of it the last few days.

Which means i'm going through all my cleaning patches.

But i was curious, what's the down side of using just paper towels cut into squares? Am i the only cheap a$$ out there?

And before you say it... Yes, I'm to damn lazy to drive to Dick's :xD:

Nothing wrong with being trifty. I bought some cotton bed sheets from a the thrift shop at Greystone in Parsippany. They were about $3.00 for two sheets and a pillow case. Cut those into patches and you're set for years. I think paper towels would just tear apart. The pillow case is good for cleaning lube and media dust off brass. I am not cheap, I am supporting a charity.

It's a mosin, nonetheless a bolt action. Not sure why your cleaning it so much or going through so many patches, all it is is a barrel and a bolt haha.

You can buy bulk packs of cheap rags that do the job well. I like Mikes suggestion of bed sheets.

Oh i'll clean everything as soon as i get back from the range.

Wrap a patch around the brass brush, dip it in solvent and run her through.

I'll do that until it sparkles.

What can i say, I gotz da OCD! I can't help myself.

I go through about 1000 patches a month. I just order bulk from midway and keep a stock on hand. I am OCD when it comes to cleaning and I shoot a TON. For me cutting stuff up is just too much time when I am using so many.

I think paper towels would tend to leave lint and stuff behind while cotton cleaning patches don't leave nearly as much. I use cleaning patches for barrels and those blue shop towels for the rest on all my guns. The shop towels are a little more than plain paper towels I think but definitely cheaper than cleaning patches.

I go through about 1000 patches a month. I just order bulk from midway and keep a stock on hand. I am OCD when it comes to cleaning and I shoot a TON. For me cutting stuff up is just too much time when I am using so many.

This. Although I have had good luck finding bulk patches at other distributors through Google Shopping.

Just buy bulk patches. Time is money and they arent that expensive if you buy several thousand at a time. Paper towels are too flimsy. Good patches are aggresive in the bore and hold solvent well for better cleaning. If you are using a jag it is impossible to use paper towel.

Agreed with the old tee-shirts. The best for rags, cleaning, lubing, etc.

Another vote for tshirts. They are soft, absorbent and lintless. 5 minutes, a 3X tshirt, and a pair of scissors gives you a couple of hundred patches. After a bit of practice you will get the knack of cutting them to size.

Paper towels tear too easy and can be a bit abrasive.

So, i got this sweet Mosin M44 from Ray Ray and have been shooting the $h1t out of it the last few days.

Which means i'm going through all my cleaning patches.

But i was curious, what's the down side of using just paper towels cut into squares? Am i the only cheap a$$ out there?

And before you say it... Yes, I'm to damn lazy to drive to Dick's :xD:

Paper towels work fine for me, as do old cut up shirts and other fabrics.

If shooting using corrosive ammo I would never use a snake. The possibility of contaminating the snake with corrosive salts and then using that snake on a different gun could cause issues. I dont like taking shortcuts so patches and brushes all the way for me.

• Like 1

If shooting using corrosive ammo I would never use a snake. The possibility of contaminating the snake with corrosive salts and then using that snake on a different gun could cause issues. I dont like taking shortcuts so patches and brushes all the way for me.

Generally I agree with you but I will use a boresnake after shooting any kind of ammo to clean out the big chunks and follow with brush and patches. Periodically, and always after using it to clean a gun that has shot corrosive ammo, I give my boresnake a good wash in soap and water. No sense in trying to get something dirty (a used boresnake) to clean with.

Generally I agree with you but I will use a boresnake after shooting any kind of ammo to clean out the big chunks and follow with brush and patches. Periodically, and always after using it to clean a gun that has shot corrosive ammo, I give my boresnake a good wash in soap and water. No sense in trying to get something dirty (a used boresnake) to clean with.

That's what my buddies tell me. Washing the bore-snake with dish soap takes the grime and grit out.

I have a few boresnakes, I never really got into using them. It was an extra step as I'd boresnake the bore, then wipe down the snake because I don't want to keep running a dirty snake down the barrel. At home , its easier to just use patches and throw them away.

The snake would be useful in a field kit for a quick cleaning, and you don't want to mess with carrying rods, jags, patches, brushes, etc around with you. Snake, rag, and some spray solvent is all that is needed. Spray down the bore, snake it, wipe the snake with rag, repeat as needed.

Paper towels are a bad idea. As others said, if you are being thrifty, go with old cotton clothing/sheets, etc and cut them up.