TJM

1911 v sig 220

Based on responses I received in a prior post, finally decided I'm in market for a .45 - have a sig 226 9mm and like the fit/feel/function of that frame/size. Have been looking at a sig 220 elite stainless - but reading more and more about 1911 - and now wonder if I should re-direct. For those out there with 1911's - is there anything I'm giving up getting a 220? Seems like most of what I've read in favor of 1911's are based on aesthetics of the gun and feel in the hand - two things I definitely will take into account and none of you can answer for me. But functionally, is there something I'd be missing with one vs the other? Understand 1911's are SAO - but what's the difference in a 220 that's DA/SA simply cocking the first shot - won't that give you the same consistent trigger pull for each shot - which seems is what the 1911;s do?

Thanks for thoughts - clearly I don't have a good understanding of the world of 1911's - but I'd like to know more about it and if there are tips to think about when deciding. If I had to use my permit today, I'd probably go with 220 elite stainless - but even sig offers a ton of 1911's as well as 220 match's - which also seem similar.....

Any thoughts/help...?

Thanks all.

Been looking to stay in sig family....maybe 1911 tacops or stainless ....the 220 match elite looks awesome to me...although not sure if that qualifies specifically as a 1911....I really like the SRT and night sites on my 226, so seem to be looking to ensure new gun would have one or both of those first, then moving from there.

Want something that feels good shooting, and allows me down the road to think about joining some of you in some of these matches I keep reading about....

This is totally my opinion on the issue and I have no scientific data to back it up.... so take it for what you paid for it.

I think what you will find is once you start to shoot a 1911, no other gun's trigger will feel as good. I really like the SIG p220 feel, solid construction, reliability and size, I have had two. But the triggers border on suck... The spring nature, I dont even know what to call it, but I swear whenever I shoot a SIG I can hear the springs go SPROING or something like that. And one thing I noticed with my SIGS in the past was MY poor accuracy with the first DA shot... prob the most important in a stressful situation dont you think.

I recently decided to go back to the 1911 platform with some small deviations here and there (Walther P99... Glock) but if I am going to start concentrating on my handgun shooting more and more... I think I better go back to what I feel is the fastest and most accurate platform, 1911 style.

I just ordered a TACOPS and hope to pick it up this week.

I like them both. I own a 1911 and have shot a 220. Both are great guns.

I personally like the 220 single action a lot. The DA is very heavy. You

could get a SAO if you wanted.

They are very different shooting experiences all together. If you don't

have a 1911 I'd go that round first to try it out. I think you'll like it a lot.

Unless you are looking at the SAO 220. The DA 220 is totally different in terms of operations as you are already aware. If this is only a range gun, yes you can just cock the first shot and fire every shot in SA mode. But in terms of potentially carrying, it's a DA vs SAO debate. You can carry the 220 loaded and decocked and the 1911 will be cocked and locked. So in case of carrying or in competition, the 220 will have different trigger feel on the first shot.

The alloy framed 220 will be lighter than most 1911s (most are steel framed) and most 1911s will have a better trigger(in SA mode).

Ever since I bought my 1911A1, I have yet to purchase another box of 9mm ammunition.

There is something *about* it. The 1911 has a soul. It's hard to explain. It's a man's gun. Big, heavy, large rounds. It's a gun that means business.

Are you giving up anything not getting the Sig? Yes. You are giving up about $5.00 to $7.00 per box of ammunition since .45 is way more expensive than 9mm.

But you are buying a piece of history with a 1911. Like Axeman_g said, once you feel that trigger, nothing will be the same.

you'll probably end up owning both, so just buy both of them at the same time. :D

That's the kind of talk that will get me in trouble. Will be stopping by the gun store on way home from work today...got to get a 1911 tacops/stainless/xo in my hand and see how it feels.

Dont forget the scorpion for that cool FDE color scheme.

By the way, if your shopping the TACOPS, the only difference between that model and the XO are the following....

Ambi safety lever

Night sights

4 mags verus 2 mags.

Thats it.

I got a good deal on it mine, but I wanted both the above features which would have added about $200 to the price of a gun without them. I need ambi because I am a lefty. If your not... the XO or the tactical package xo is the way to go. for over $200 less.

That's how the addiction starts... you wonder which to get between two that you really like. Once you make your decision and buy let's say a 1911, a few weeks later you will realize that you got to have the 220 as well. Since there's no law that says gun ownership is a monogamy, you can/will buy that 220. :haha:

Ever since I bought my 1911A1, I have yet to purchase another box of 9mm ammunition.

There is something *about* it. The 1911 has a soul. It's hard to explain. It's a man's gun. Big, heavy, large rounds. It's a gun that means business.

Are you giving up anything not getting the Sig? Yes. You are giving up about $5.00 to $7.00 per box of ammunition since .45 is way more expensive than 9mm.

But you are buying a piece of history with a 1911. Like Axeman_g said, once you feel that trigger, nothing will be the same.

I totally agree. It has a lot of character.

I started reloading 45acp so I could afford to shoot a 1911.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Seems like you are corroborating most of what I've been reading in terms of which - essentially they're both good, but 1911 would be the way to start. Stopped at my local shop tonight, they had only 1 Kimber full size and 1 compact Sig in the case....really liked the feel of the full size, and both triggers felt great, I see what you mean. Shorter and nicer pull than even my 226 with SRT...will be hitting SS soon to see what they have available to rent and see how it feels to pull the trigger for real. Hopefully will go well and will be adding a 1911 to the small family of 226 and my 22LR....