DTtuner

357 Revolver Poll

Which 357, and Why?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Please Choose, and Add your Comments below...

• Ruger GP-100
    • S&W 686
    • Colt Python
    • Colt King Cobra
    • S&W 625

I learned to shoot on a Python which I still have in my collection. Its my Dad's gun but he wants me to keep a watch on it. The Python is beautiful and the finish is just gorgeous. With that being said, I voted for a 686 since that is what I am most familiar with and have had a few in years past that I have customized to my liking. Very utilitarian revolver with lots of potential versatility.

id buy a 686 as a take it to the range every day run thousands of round thru it gun , not as a beater but a work horse.but if you dont have a python buy one first its a classic and all other revolvers are judged against it.one more plus they go up in value if you keep them nice not all hand guns do that.why not just get permits for all

Not to my experience. Good customer service but nothing like I got from Ruger. Of course I only had a Ruger break once (magazine catch spring on a P90). Shipped it to AZ on Monday and got it back two days later on Wednesday. That is hard to beat. Lost a grip screw to the same gun and they just mailed me some I got a few days later.

I can beat that. I screwed up my S&W 1911s slide trying to get the extractor pin out (dont try and take it out....its pressed in lol).

While it was not workmanship or material defect, they fixed it for free anyways and even cleaned it for me and had it back in a week or two

I picked the 686...but only because you've limited your choices. I've got a sweet spot for the hefty goodness a N-frame S&W brings. You should add to your list either a model 27 or model 28 for a really sweet shooter.

I have one of each (pre-lock naturally :)). Two of the last guns I will ever sell.

OP, assuming you mean a S&W 627. The 625 is a moon clip .45ACP - fun in 3"!

Practically speaking, I'd vote a 4" 686 pre-lock personally. If you come across a 686 CS-1, 3" or 4", it's as good as it gets.

The GP-100 is a fine revolver, but a bit "heavy" in my opinion. Security or Service Six in 4" would be my choice for a .357 Ruger. I feel the Sixes were Ruger's best DA revolvers, and mind you that the Six was designed specifically for the .357 Mag.

I find the Colt snakes to be less practical because their value is ever-increasing. If you find a reasonably priced snake that's shooter-grade, there's no reason not to!

Can't see the "revolvers are crap" option...

Can't see the "ban" button.

I can

You guys crack me up!

Guess that's why you sold me all those .45 ACP wadcutters Jon, don't like revolvers............. They are some SMOKY rounds, let me tell ya, but they work just fine!

I had a chance to compare some revolvers and ammo awhile back, was interesting to say the least.

I took my wifes 686, 6" barrel, my 686, 8 3/8" barrel, and 629, 6" barrel to my outdoor range. Shot .38 Wad Cutters, .38 Semi Wad Cutters, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, and .44 Magnum. Man did I do a lot of shooting that day!

The .38 wad cutters are like .22LR's, no recoil, lots of smoke, can shoot 1000 a day if I wanted to.

The .38 Specials, well, at least you know you were shooting something.

The .357 Magnums were fun, recoil was no issue, especially out of the longer barrel.

The .44 Special was ok, not a bad everyday round. Felt similar to my 625 and .45 ACP (5" barrel).

The .44 Magnums, well, there is a problem there. Seems I am becoming a recoil junky and now MUST but a .460 or .500 Magnum. This was a FUN round to shoot!

I really need to stick to shotguns, far cheaper to shoot! :)

PS: Anyone that showed-up at the Old Bridge out door range when I was done in the pistol pit next to the shotgun area, sorry about the mess. I went though 90 clays on the berm trying all those different guns and loads out. ;)

I wanted an L size .357 and handled both the 686 and GP100 at Meltzers. The 686 felt better over all to me at the time, and the cost of permits (time, annoying my references, etc) was higher than the price diff. So I got the 686 4" and I'm happy with it. Smooth action and just stupid accurate. I may some day get a GP100, I like the design and know it from my SP101.

I like the older Ruger Sixes the best, especially the Speed Six. It is just as beefy as a GP100, but it is somewhere between the GP100 and SP101 in size. Hands down, it would be my favorite revolver if the sights were changeable.

A .357 factory tuned 6" Colt Python was (and still is) my first handgun. It has the smoothest trigger I have ever felt on any revolver or pistol, single or double action. Circa 1978. As far as I can tell they don't make them like this any more.

A .357 factory tuned 6" Colt Python was (and still is) my first handgun. It has the smoothest trigger I have ever felt on any revolver or pistol, single or double action. Circa 1978. As far as I can tell they don't make them like this any more.

pics?