notmetoo

Bug Out/emergency Prep Kits

After living in many parts of the country I see NJ as relatively benign, natural disaster-wise. In fact we almost never lose power, even Irene only knocked it out for a few hours. Made me a little lazy about disaster prep. In CA we had our earthquake kit, in WA was the generator and propane heater, but all that's gone now. About all we have is a small stockpile of food (cans and MREs, some rice, water) and a couple of oil lanterns.

So, I was wondering what other people were doing to maintain a realistic emergency kit. I'm not talking zombie apocalypse, though social unrest seems much more real than a few years ago (maybe OWS-ers are the real zombies?)

Thanks in advance for your input!

This is a copy of what I had out when I give work presentations for FEMA. This is a basic list for preparedness, most things are in your house already, you could simply document locations in a emergency notebook. But we recommend stockpiling items in the same area of your attic or basement.

Add weapons at discretion,

Emergency Supplies:

- Water, one gallon of water per person per day, for drinking and sanitation

- Food, at least a three-day supply, 7 day is preferable, of non-perishable food

- Battery-powered radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert, and extra batteries for both

- Flashlight and extra batteries

- First Aid kit

- Whistle to signal for help

- Infant formula and diapers, if you have an infant

- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation

- Dust mask or cotton t-shirt, to help filter the air

- Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place

- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities

- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)

Clothing and Bedding:

If you live in a cold weather climate, you must think about warmth. It is possible that the power will be out and you will not have heat. Rethink your clothing and bedding supplies to account for growing children and other family changes. One complete change of warm clothing and shoes per person, including:

- A jacket or coat

- Long pants

- A long sleeve shirt

- Sturdy shoes

- A hat and gloves

- A sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person

Family Supply List (continued)

- Emergency reference materials such as a first aid book or a print out of the information on www.ready.gov

- Rain gear

- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils

- Cash or traveler's checks, change

- Paper towels

- Fire Extinguisher

- Tent

- Compass

- Matches in a waterproof container*

- Signal flare*

- Paper, pencil

- Personal hygiene items including feminie supplies

- Disinfectant*

- Household chlorine bleach* - You can use bleach as a disinfectant (diluted nine parts water to one part bleach), or in an emergency you can also use it to treat water. Use 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.

- Medicine dropper

- Important Family Documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container

- Crow bars and hammers

• Like 1

Axeman, that's a helpful list. Thanks for posting it. There are a couple of concepts at work here: preparing stuff for a quick getaway, and stocking supplies to stay in place in case of a natural disaster or other emergency. One's bugout bag could vary, depending on time of the year, and one's intended destination (suburban, rural, or wilderness).

For staying put, I've stashed some water, freeze-dried food, and some of the other supplies and implements that you mentioned. I believe one's preparations are always a work in progress. I'm going to take a close look at your list to see where I need to improve mine.

I have a pack that has things like candles.. first aid.. fire starting materials.. paracord.. duct tape.. tools in it.. and room enough for a substantial amount of ammo... for if I have to go.. or if I get stuck somewhere..

but then I also have a rubber maid bin in the basement with things like a propane stove.. canned goods etc..

I also have a few gallons of frozen water to allow me to keep refrigerated items cold should I lose power.. that gives me a head start so I do not have to consume non perishable goods immediately... and also makes for drinking water after it melts..

I utilized this system during the last big storm when we lost power.. we dropped the water down to the fridge.. kept everything nice and cold.. consumed those goods.. and saved the canned stuff for just in case it went real long..

edit.. lots and lots of peanut butter.. lol

That list is strictly a Emerg Prep list. My bug out list is about 10 items and is in two small backpacks in a closet near the front door.

Bug out bags for family of four

- Water containers of one gallon of water per person

- non-perishable foods like energy bars

- Battery-powered radio

- Flashlight and extra batteries

- First Aid kit

- Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place

- two leathermen

- 4 belt knives

- Can opener for food

-paracord

- 500rds 22lr, 100rds 9mm 100rds .45 100 rds of 7.62x51

- Compass

- Matches in a waterproof container*

- Signal flare*

- Paper, pencil

- Personal hygiene items including feminie supplies

- Household chlorine bleach

- two roofing hammers or hatchets

- emergency blankets

- plastic bags with some dryer lint for firestarter.

I dont keep this as serious as I used to do to my options. I am not going to Bug out in SJ. Where would I go... the pines with everyone else? over the bridge smack into Philly??? F'it... I know I am stuck here. I am going to stay in place and survive.

These are great lists and ideas. I don't have an attic or a basement for storage, but Axeman_g's emergency notebook suggestion is aces.

I forgot about ice - we have a chest freezer and the entire bottom is lined with one gallon water (now ice) jugs. Works well keeping food fresh during power-outs.

I need to prep some bug-out bags, probably small to keep in the cars (just ordered two LA Police Gear bags when they were on sale for 17.99, they should work.) Even though mother nature won't likely chase me out, we have a major (MAJOR) gas line running about 150 yards behind our house. If something happens with that we either are sprinting out the door or nothing will matter anyway.

After living in many parts of the country I see NJ as relatively benign, natural disaster-wise. In fact we almost never lose power, even Irene only knocked it out for a few hours. Made me a little lazy about disaster prep. In CA we had our earthquake kit, in WA was the generator and propane heater, but all that's gone now. About all we have is a small stockpile of food (cans and MREs, some rice, water) and a couple of oil lanterns.

So, I was wondering what other people were doing to maintain a realistic emergency kit. I'm not talking zombie apocalypse, though social unrest seems much more real than a few years ago (maybe OWS-ers are the real zombies?)

Thanks in advance for your input!

Earthquakes and tornadoes can happen in NJ, although the chances of it happening is much less than here in the Midwest. I understand there is the Ramapo fault line running through upstate NJ. Here the New Madrid is some 300 miles away. Friends back East told me about tornado warnings for Ocean and Monmouth Counties this past year. I think Brooklyn NY got hit twice with weak tornadoes in the last couple of years. Someone said central NJ is more prone to tornadoes. In and around here ...the areas Louisville and into Indiana ...seems more tornado prone as well as Xenia Ohio.

Friend told me about a Hurricane Floyd there in NJ in 1999, he said that besides generators and pumps, chain saws also came in handy. A generator can pay for itself, for instance if you have several hundred dollars of food in the deep freezer and the fridge. if the power goes out for a couple of days in the summer...with a generator and enough fuel you would be good to go until the power came back. If you have a big enough of a generator, you can run a freezer, fridge and a small a/c.

Having a place to in the country to go just in case (wherever you think it is) might be just as important as having a couple weeks or months of food and water . During an extended blackout due to a storm, would the ATM machines work? You might want to figure on having some cash on hand ( a few weeks worth) for the few stores that might be open.

The lists the others put are excellent..but I wanted to chime in with the above...

I would add a little to that:

$200 in $10 bills. The ATMs might not be working and stores might run out of change. If you need X and it costs $5.00, and all you have is a $20, it's going to cost you $20. So $200 in 10's is best.

3 days worth of prescription medications.

If you live with a woman, tampons (yes, really).

An extra pair of glasses and an eyeglass repair kit.

A small sewing kit

Paper maps of New Jersey and your county.

An extra cell phone charger.

The one thing I dislike about all these major event BoBs and emergency kits is that they never list firearms or ammunition. Granted, not every emergency is going to be big enough to warrant bringing a gun or two, but everytime I see one listed for a major disaster, they never list firearms. Even that zombie apocalypse one (I believe it was from the CDC) didn't list guns, and that's the first thing people will be reaching for. You think the liberals are gun grabbers now? Wait until the dead walk the earth! :sarcastichand:

The one thing I dislike about all these major event BoBs and emergency kits is that they never list firearms or ammunition. Granted, not every emergency is going to be big enough to warrant bringing a gun or two, but everytime I see one listed for a major disaster, they never list firearms. Even that zombie apocalypse one (I believe it was from the CDC) didn't list guns, and that's the first thing people will be reaching for. You think the liberals are gun grabbers now? Wait until the dead walk the earth! :sarcastichand:

A lot of the pro-gunners over emphasize guns. How many shootouts are you planning for?

A lot of the pro-gunners over emphasize guns. How many shootouts are you planning for?

every emergency item you'll have, someone else won't and they'll try to get yours. will you have enough firepower to defend what's yours? remember the LA riots with the guys on the roof with ARs defending their store? ;)

As far as ammunition is concerned, I've seen writings that indicate that it would be quite prudent to purchase as much ammunition as one could sustain. Apparently you should have enough for personal and bartering use.

Without getting into "what cool gear should I purchase?" All I can say is that I've read books by John Mc Cann, Cody Lundin, John Wesley Rawles, and they seem to consistent in that one must have tiered supplies. By that I mean, enough supplies to last you at least a month in your primary residence, a kit for "getting home" or at least a 24-48 hour crisis, and a 72 hour "bug out" bag. How you choose to stock your pack is personal, and situation based. What works for us up here in NJ, may not be the right combination for someone living in Florida.

I think that larger packs, such as large capacity civilian packs, and ALICE/ILBE packs are suitable for longer excursions, but mobility becomes a huge factor. Unless you actively prepare and train with packs of this size, you'll be doing yourself more harm than good, because weight becomes a serious issue. I guess the only advice that can be given, is to study the hell out of this subject, read as much as you can, and strive to find ways to get multiple uses out of what you carry. Cody Lundin hit the nail on the head when he said: "The more you know, the less you need."

I was living in L.A. during the riots in '92. That was the first time I ever heard my wife say she wished we had a gun. By that point we'd lived through earthquakes (both in L.A. and AR) and tornadoes (the blizzards, floods and hurricanes were later) and that was the most scared we'd ever been.

As far as ammunition is concerned, I've seen writings that indicate that it would be quite prudent to purchase as much ammunition as one could sustain. Apparently you should have enough for personal and bartering use.

Not that I ever plan on seeing a real SHTF situation, at least I hope not, but Barter Ammo?? Dude, you just gave someone the means to take the rest of what you have.

Not that I ever plan on seeing a real SHTF situation, at least I hope not, but Barter Ammo?? Dude, you just gave someone the means to take the rest of what you have.

I'm not sure I understand that. What I'm saying, is that ammunition can be used as a type of bartering currency. If I'm armed, and you're armed, and you have 20 Ball jars of canned tomatoes, and I want to trade you a box of 22LR for them, how are you going to take my stuff? I would obviously not have my whole cache of ammunition present.

Bartering ammo. Makes sense and another reason to buy more :)

The only concern I have is not enough "long life shelf" food here. I have about 10 cases of water (not really enough IMO, but good enough for a few days) I just want to stock up on some food.

I do have a BOB with some 2 way radios, lighters, matches, weather radio, waterproof stuff, paracord, multi-tool, knives, shovel, hatchet, and a lot of the other stuff listed above. Chances are it will be more or less a "hunker down" situation where defending the home, family, and having enough food and water to survive until the crisis is over is more realistic of a scenario. I do have a small propane grill (tailgating grill) that i should prob pick up a few extra tanks for as well.

Other than that I think im pretty much prepared, just need more ammo (and finish building the AR :) ), propane, and food with a long shelf life (maybe a few bags of rice?)

There are a lot of good sites on the web about this stuff. I have gotten a few ideas off of reddit...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Survival/

Would also like to make a bag for my and the fiance's car as sort of a "get back home bag". Im sure a lot of it will be the same stuff as the BOB, just want to wait until the xmas spending subsides. That along with building my AR will be next years project...

I always thought toilet paper would be near the top of the barter list along with ammo.

Barter Items no special order...partial list...

Coffee

Toilet Paper

Ammo

Cigarettes

Whiskey

Soap

Livestock including chickens, pigs,goats

Non Hybrid seeds

Rechargeable batteries

Solar panels

CB Radios

Clothes, especially socks and shoes

Towels, blankets

Never barter ammo. This is the worst possible item to barter. You are arming your potential murderer.

The only time it is ok, is if the person is trusted not to barter it away. The first semi-stranger you may barter it to may be a good guy, but he may barter it to someone else, and that guy barters it to a sneak thief who, along with 5 of his closest buddies, invades your home at 5 am, kills everyone and take all your stuff.

Never barter ammo. This is the worst possible item to barter. You are arming your potential murderer.

The only time it is ok, is if the person is trusted not to barter it away. The first semi-stranger you may barter it to may be a good guy, but he may barter it to someone else, and that guy barters it to a sneak thief who, along with 5 of his closest buddies, invades your home at 5 am, kills everyone and take all your stuff.

if something "that bad" happens I don't intend to be anywhere that will allow me to barter anything with anyone.. ;)

if something "that bad" happens I don't intend to be anywhere that will allow me to barter anything with anyone.. ;)

Even in the most lawless or remote areas of the world, you have to interact with someone at some point. No man is an island unto himself. Hell, even Mad Max went to bartertown :)

In a less than ordered society, chances are quite likely that you'll be still living the same place as you do now but the economy has crashed and there is 50%+ unemployment and barter is certainly one way of gaining your essentials.

Even in the most lawless or remote areas of the world, you have to interact with someone at some point. No man is an island unto himself. Hell, even Mad Max went to bartertown :)

In a less than ordered society, chances are quite likely that you'll be still living the same place as you do now but the economy has crashed and there is 50%+ unemployment and barter is certainly one way of gaining your essentials.

I will drive 40 minutes east to a family farm on almost 200 acres..

they have deer to hunt... wells for water... gardens for produce... reload for ammo.. many family members who are trained medical professionals.. not to debate the issue.. but I don't think I would be bartering with anyone any time soon.. lol

I will drive 40 minutes east to a family farm on almost 200 acres..

they have deer to hunt... wells for water... gardens for produce... reload for ammo.. many family members who are trained medical professionals.. not to debate the issue.. but I don't think I would be bartering with anyone any time soon.. lol

Sounds like where they are in The Walking Dead right now. Just make sure not to fill your barn with zombies. :sarcastic:

A few years ago I set in enough supplies to stay where I am for a few weeks - water, food, everything. The lists above are great and they seem very complete.

I've added a few things though...

I live 100 yds away from the Passaic River river, so I've added a water purification/filter kit to my stuff. I have 5 of those green plastic Jerry cans that the military uses. They are full now and I can refill them with the water treatment kit I have.

My radio is dynamo & solar powered - no batteries to worry about.

Gas Mask ... go ahead and laugh, but after seeing all the crap floating around in the air after the 9-11 attacks, I was damn glad I kept my M-17 when I got out of the Army.

Lately I've been thinking "What will I do if I actually have to leave the NY Metro Area? Where will I go and how am I getting there?"

Well, my sister lives up in NH. They have a small farm - so that's where I'm going.

The biggest problem I can forsee is actually getting there if things go really sideways. The biggest natural obstacle is the Hudson river. What if something happens to the bridges - like in "I am Legend"? What if I lose the use of my truck somehow?

I've decided to add a mountain bike to my gear ;)

Obviously, bicycles don't float, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to cross the river in a small boat or a ferry. If it comes to that, I'll have to leave my truck behind. Having the bike will make completing the trip a little easier - sure beats walking to NH, LOL!!

This store is right here in NJ and it is awesome. I have bought supplies from here http://getoutsafe.net/

The owner Frank is a real stand up guy. I suggest stopping in to talk to him some time.

LOL! I saw that store the other day, I literally did a double take while driving to be sure that store existed. It's just weird seeing that in NJ...

A few years ago I set in enough supplies to stay where I am for a few weeks - water, food, everything. The lists above are great and they seem very complete.

I've added a few things though...

I live 100 yds away from the Passaic River river, so I've added a water purification/filter kit to my stuff. I have 5 of those green plastic Jerry cans that the military uses. They are full now and I can refill them with the water treatment kit I have.

My radio is dynamo & solar powered - no batteries to worry about.

Gas Mask ... go ahead and laugh, but after seeing all the crap floating around in the air after the 9-11 attacks, I was damn glad I kept my M-17 when I got out of the Army.

Lately I've been thinking "What will I do if I actually have to leave the NY Metro Area? Where will I go and how am I getting there?"

Well, my sister lives up in NH. They have a small farm - so that's where I'm going.

The biggest problem I can forsee is actually getting there if things go really sideways. The biggest natural obstacle is the Hudson river. What if something happens to the bridges - like in "I am Legend"? What if I lose the use of my truck somehow?

I've decided to add a mountain bike to my gear ;)

Obviously, bicycles don't float, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to cross the river in a small boat or a ferry. If it comes to that, I'll have to leave my truck behind. Having the bike will make completing the trip a little easier - sure beats walking to NH, LOL!!

The problem I see here is if SHTF the roads are going to be death traps...you can't get around NJ when it's rush hour let alone the whole population trying to get out. NH is a long way away and there's going to be a lot of people clogging the roads. There are scenes in many movies where the remains of cars clog the roadways with dead occupants. I've recently been thinking of getting my motorcycle license and picking up an enduro. This way I can hit the dirt if I'm really trying to bug out. If I had the cash one of those polaris ranger rzr's would be pretty sweet. A mountain bike is a good idea but tough with a loaded pack and a long gun. I think my plan would be to try to bug in until the initial chaos dies down then get the hell out of here.

Just went back to re-read this thread, and noticed that I somehow missed the tip about the store in Whippany. Coincidentally, it looks like it's not far from RTSP Range. I'll definitely check it out in the near future.

To HavocMan trying to get to New Hampshire in the event of trouble, it looks like if you head north, not only can you get past the Hudson, but you would also be heading away from trouble, instead of into it, as you would if you went through NY, CT, and MA.