302w

Looking To Build An 870, But I Am A Shotgun Noob.

I am looking to build an all around shotgun, but I think I am attempting to kill too many birds with one stone. I LOVE the look of short barrel shotguns, similar to this:

besstttsmall.jpg

Thing is... I don't know much about shotguns. I want to use this for killing clay birds, and home defense. I haven't been skeet shooting in years, but I know that most people prefer 26-30'' barrels, and I am looking for a 20'' or so. I imagine that a 20'' with a full choke might be okay for skeet, but nothing great.

I also don't know much about 870's in general. Express or whatnot. I want a 12 gauge, but I dont know what.

Educate me please, and excuse my noobishness.

I am not fully knowledgeable about 870's but that looks to be a factory 870 in the picture you posted with wood furniture. So buy that model if that's what you want. Then you could simply buy a 28-30'' VR barrel with removable chokes and have one multi-use shotgun for different applications. That's what I have, and that's what most people do.

Or you could go the expensive route of buying two 870's and have one for HD and one for clays.

I am not fully knowledgeable about 870's but that looks to be a factory 870 in the picture you posted with wood furniture. So buy that model if that's what you want. Then you could simply buy a 28-30'' VR barrel with removable chokes and have one multi-use shotgun for different applications. That's what I have, and that's what most people do.

Or you could go the expensive route of buying two 870's and have one for HD and one for clays.

I am prepared for the 3 bears, got's a 410, 20 and 12 ga all at the ready, so I can say, and this one's is just right. :icon_mrgreen:

Well... I appreciate the imput, but I really want one shotgun. Preferably, with one barrel so I could get used to it and the way it shoots. Really though, I dont want one gun to be mediocre with two things, and if I had to have two barrels than so be it. How would a 20" barrel with full choke do for clays?

Well... I appreciate the imput, but I really want one shotgun. Preferably, with one barrel so I could get used to it and the way it shoots. Really though, I dont want one gun to be mediocre with two things, and if I had to have two barrels than so be it. How would a 20" barrel with full choke do for clays?

Very difficult. I find a modified choke to be best when shooting clays. You can also get a barrel with a remchoke system and swap out chokes based on what you're doing.

Well... I appreciate the imput, but I really want one shotgun.

It close to building a hot rod, you have a choice, Dependability, Power, Price: Pick 2!

It's really hard to get all that on 1 shotty, not one that will be optimum for all you want at the same time that is.

• Like 1

I have a 870 that my wife uses, two barrels. One is a Skeet barrel, the other a Mod barrel. One gets used for Sporting Clays, the other for Trap. It works fine for her.

I'd buy two of them if I were you, doesn't cost that much more than buying a new spare barrel. I would also buy used, these things last forever and there isn't much to go wrong with them.

I bought one as a spare from a forum member on here so my gunless buddies could go shooting with me.

I know there are one or two for sale on our bulletin board at OBRPC too.

OBRPC?

It looks like I want an Express Magnum. I want one with the most capabilities, if that makes any sense.

Really, I guess it comes down to finding what barrel works best for me. I will probably wind up buying one with some gargantuan barrel on it, then sitting back and looking at it.

BTW, j0n, I figured that a short barrel with full choke might be equivalent somewhat to a longer barrel with a modified :maninlove:

as much as I dont wan to encourage anyone to buy a shotgun with a muzzle break, the 870 express tactical has a shorter barrel that accepts the remchoke system. It might work for informal clay busting if you can find the sweet spot with the right amount of choke.

Preferably, with one barrel so I could get used to it and the way it shoots.

The shotgun itself will essentially feel the same with different barrels, but the spread will be different. That's the purpose of having multiple barrels. If you have 2-3 different barrels, it will be easier to cover the different roles you would like this shotgun to fill. You can do what you want, it's your money and it will be your shotgun.....but everyone here is well experienced and giving you great options.

Lol is that the Remington pump with the stupid door-breaching brake on it? Oh god...I dunno if he wants to join SWAT anytime soon! But you do have a point with that and the interchangeable chokes if I am on the right track?

that is in fact the one. everyone needs to be able to :gaming: call of duty told me so

Well... I figured out what shotgun I want, per se. An 870 Express Magnum with a 20'' Remchoke barrel and wood furniture. Unfortunately, there are no 20" remchoke barrels.

I also hate the vent-rib look. I dont know what sights I want, ghost rings or a front bead.

I could also buy a 26" barrel later, which makes me happy.

Lol is that the Remington pump with the stupid door-breaching brake on it? Oh god...I dunno if he wants to join SWAT anytime soon! But you do have a point with that and the interchangeable chokes if I am on the right track?

Probably talking about this one. It's actually a nice gun for HD/SD. I wouldn't want to hunt or shoot clays with it, but for opening up a hole in the badguy's torso, it does the job well.

870-Express-Tactical-81198-prod.jpg

Honestly - do you REALLY think you'll need an express magnum? You're going to be shooting 3.5" shells?

There's a guy on Gunbroker who sells remington barrels - There's a 20" with rem choke and rifle sights:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=264790510

• Like 1

FWIW, some places won't let you bust clays with a short barrel gun. For example, Lehigh Valley's website says that any gun used there must be minimum 24" long. Not sure how strictly that's enforced, or how often you find rules like that. Just something to keep in mind.

Go with the multiple barrels. It will be the same gun (same trigger, stock, receiver, action, etc.), you can just do different things with it thanks to the differing barrels.

I am looking to build an all around shotgun, but I think I am attempting to kill too many birds with one stone. I LOVE the look of short barrel shotguns, similar to this:

besstttsmall.jpg

Thing is... I don't know much about shotguns. I want to use this for killing clay birds, and home defense. I haven't been skeet shooting in years, but I know that most people prefer 26-30'' barrels, and I am looking for a 20'' or so. I imagine that a 20'' with a full choke might be okay for skeet, but nothing great.

I also don't know much about 870's in general. Express or whatnot. I want a 12 gauge, but I dont know what.

Educate me please, and excuse my noobishness.

That is one damn sexy shotgun!

Its looking like I want an 870 tactical, but then dumping the muzzle break and tupperware for some wood furniture. Although I want the 3" chamber, so I am probably going to just buy an Express Magnum with nice furniture and spending more moolah than what I want to spend on a fancy barrel later.

Edit:

I want an 870 Magnum, 20" remchoke barrel, with the exact furniture in the picture. Is it so much to ask?