SmithAndy

Remington 870 Wingmaster

I just bought my first shotgun to hopefully get into hunting. It's a used 870 Wingmaster, that I bought for $125. It seemed to be in great shape, it racked and the trigger felt good on the snap cap. It also looked high quality. When I got home, I did some research and called Remington to find out the age. They said 1960.

If you were me, would you have it checked out before firing it? The barrel looks ok on the inside, and everything feels smooth.

And any ideas if it's worth what I paid for it? Some guys I talked to think I should have just bought a new one for a bit more.

A new Wingmaster could easily cost you $600. The wingmaster is the top of the line 870. They are pretty solid, as long as you don't see any visible damage and all the mechanical parts are in good condition I don't think you need to have it checked out.

You got a bargain, be glad! New barrels are easy to buy, there are PLENTY of used barrels available too.

Not too much to go wrong inside an 870 either. I had to replace one part on the wifes 870 after we put a thousand rounds through it, and the guy I bought it from shot the qwap outta it. Cost me $65 from Brownells and a few minutes to make that baby brand-new again.

If it's even in halfway decent shape, you got a great deal. New ones are easily 3 or 4 times what you paid, if not more.

As for checking it out, just take the barrel off and give everything a quick glance. Unless there's something visibly noticeable, put a couple in the tube, rack it, and have at it!

And if you don't like it, i'd be happy to give you $150 to take it off your hands. Lol.

I just bought my first shotgun to hopefully get into hunting. It's a used 870 Wingmaster, that I bought for $125. It seemed to be in great shape, it racked and the trigger felt good on the snap cap. It also looked high quality. When I got home, I did some research and called Remington to find out the age. They said 1960.

If you were me, would you have it checked out before firing it? The barrel looks ok on the inside, and everything feels smooth.

And any ideas if it's worth what I paid for it? Some guys I talked to think I should have just bought a new one for a bit more.

As others have said, you got a great deal on a very good shotgun. Early ones have a lot more care and attention to small details.

If yours is in the condition you describe, I would take it over a new Remington 870 Wingmaster any day.

Trust us, youve got nothing to worry about. A 60 year old American made shotgun has got about another 200 years worth of life in it. Enjoy, and happy hunting.

I cant emphasize the importance of hunting enough as a public service to mother nature. Those pics look like honest wear, so you should be good.