I apologize if this was previously covered or old stuff - then just move on.

Reported today that a federal court declares steroid testing for LEOs (called cops in the paper) does not violate their rights. Several in Jersey City were put on a desk after taking their weapons.

So to all the forum DUI 'discussers', there is justice in the world. Once in a while, maybe rarely, nobody is above the law.

If you are out of your house and your blood is impaired, it doesn't matter if you are a citizen, priest, LEO, judge, etc. A potentially bad situation is brewing.

Merry Christmas.

I apologize if this was previously covered or old stuff - then just move on.

Reported today that a federal court declares steroid testing for LEOs (called cops in the paper) does not violate their rights. Several in Jersey City were put on a desk after taking their weapons.

So to all the forum DUI 'discussers', there is justice in the world. Once in a while, maybe rarely, nobody is above the law.

If you are out of your house and your blood is impaired, it doesn't matter if you are a citizen, priest, LEO, judge, etc. A potentially bad situation is brewing.

Merry Christmas.

Not sure what your stance is on this, but I'm glad this is the case. I guess I don't understand why it would have ever been in question. You mean to tell me that some group of people or organization felt that steroid testing violated someone's rights?

Cops on steriods? thats NOTHING new. its not always the young ones.

I wonder what happens if they are getting Hormone Replacement Therapy by of their age and low levels?

After 35, Drs will prescribe hormones(steriods) to get back to your optimum levels. If you take a blood test and show your levels are LOW, how can they tell you NO when you can actually benefit from it? Its all 100% legal! so, what law would they be breaking?

Dont you ever question why the cops all go to the SAME doctor for these tests???? It's all BS. A lot of those tests are bogus and its a big money making scheme by the doctors.

Cops on steriods? thats NOTHING new. its not always the young ones.

I wonder what happens if they are getting Hormone Replacement Therapy by of their age and low levels?

After 35, Drs will prescribe hormones(steriods) to get back to your optimum levels. If you take a blood test and show your levels are LOW, how can they tell you NO when you can actually benefit from it? Its all 100% legal! so, what law would they be breaking?

Dont you ever question why the cops all go to the SAME doctor for these tests???? It's all BS. A lot of those tests are bogus and its a big money making scheme by the doctors.

maybe thats bc its a HRT office.

If your blood test shows low levels, you should be able to "add" some to bring them back to "optimum" levels, NOT beyond that!

I also believe it should be on a case by case basis. If he fails a test, then bring in his previous blood work, prescriptions, etc.

Look at the age of the cops too. Someone who's in their 20s shouldnt have a script! If ur under 35, I would suspect alittle foul play.

I also agree w/ drug testing ALL public employees!

Departments aren't going to pay for that. Steroid testing is expensive. The other problem is that there are a lot of supplements that are legal that could make you fail a steroid test. I know there was a big thing a few years back with a certain now deceased doctor and a lot of cops that recently made the paper again. I really dont think it is enough of an epidemic where departments will worry about it all that much.

Departments aren't going to pay for that. Steroid testing is expensive. The other problem is that there are a lot of supplements that are legal that could make you fail a steroid test. I know there was a big thing a few years back with a certain now deceased doctor and a lot of cops that recently made the paper again. I really dont think it is enough of an epidemic where departments will worry about it all that much.

As a taxpayer I have no problem with my money going to drug test all the public servants in the state of NJ. There it too much money at stake to not test all these people. If people in simple retail jobs get drug tested then the people who are in charge of enforcing the law, educating our kids, and driving around in taxpayer financed cars for both personal and job use need to be tested. I don't want any druggies employed on my dime.

All police officers get drug tested. I know I get a random piss test multiple times a year in addition to my annual medical screening. Steroid testing is completely different. It is a completely different test that is a lot more money. Some departments do it as part of their random screening. Plus the amount of people using is far less than those that might be using other illegal substances. To me it makes no difference I have nothing to hide.

To me it makes no difference I have nothing to hide.

Which I commend by the way. If you add up the amount of public servants in the state of NJ you have a large number of people. That means that even if 2% of them are using an illegal substance you are looking at a decent sized group.

NEWARK — A federal appeals court has ruled that Jersey City’s police chief was within his rights to require several officers to submit to drug tests for anabolic steroids.

This week’s decision dismisses a lawsuit brought by the officers against the police department and Chief Thomas Comey.

Comey placed the officers on modified duty after the drug tests in 2008. The officers were found to have filled prescriptions for steroids at a New York pharmacy that surfaced in an investigation into illegal anabolic steroid use by NYPD officers.

The Jersey City officers argued their rights were violated because they took the steroids for medical conditions. But the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals ruled police officers can’t expect the same level of privacy as other citizens.

Honestly, drug testing employees in general is a money pit. I don't agree with testing every public employee "just because". Your looking at thousands of dollars per person to test( if you were to test for everything using blood) which is probably the only legit way to do it. Right now, any public employee can absolutely be tested if they are under suspicion of using drugs... otherwise what is the point in wasting all of that money? If someone smokes a little pot on the weekend like so many others drink they should loose their job? even if they are a great employee? the objection has always been about privacy, why bother testing people who perform their job well? just because it will make you sleep better at night? They started to drug test at my work last year, and when everyone was passing the tests and they realized it was wasting money they stopped. Now they just test the people who fall under suspicion, and we have had a few get fired over it who failed. Like i said they restructured the way they do it and if you do your job good no one gives a **** what you do in your free time.

Honestly, drug testing employees in general is a money pit. I don't agree with testing every public employee "just because". Your looking at thousands of dollars per person to test( if you were to test for everything using blood) which is probably the only legit way to do it. Right now, any public employee can absolutely be tested if they are under suspicion of using drugs... otherwise what is the point in wasting all of that money? If someone smokes a little pot on the weekend like so many others drink they should loose their job? even if they are a great employee? the objection has always been about privacy, why bother testing people who perform their job well? just because it will make you sleep better at night? They started to drug test at my work last year, and when everyone was passing the tests and they realized it was wasting money they stopped. Now they just test the people who fall under suspicion, and we have had a few get fired over it who failed. Like i said they restructured the way they do it and if you do your job good no one gives a **** what you do in your free time.

Last I checked smoking pot is illegal, even on the weekends. So if a public employee is doing illegal drugs on weekends they shouldn't be allowed to draw a paycheck from the public's money.

In some school districts they are drug testing students and more specifically student athletes. You wanna test my kid? Then submit to the test yourself.

It does not cost thousands of dollars per person if you use a mouth swab. Where I work you are tested with the swab. If it comes up positive or inconclusive then the person is sent for an actual lab test. This is because the swab is not as accurate as an actual blood, urine, or hair test. Is this way perfect? No, however I am just showing you that there is a way that it can be done that doesn't cost thousands a person.

On a side note everyone is tested. People who are under suspicion then have to be retested on the spot. This would be due to an accident or obvious signs of being under some sort of influence,

Last I checked smoking pot is illegal, even on the weekends. So if a public employee is doing illegal drugs on weekends they shouldn't be allowed to draw a paycheck from the public's money.

In some school districts they are drug testing students and more specifically student athletes. You wanna test my kid? Then submit to the test yourself.

It does not cost thousands of dollars per person if you use a mouth swab. Where I work you are tested with the swab. If it comes up positive or inconclusive then the person is sent for an actual lab test. This is because the swab is not as accurate as an actual blood, urine, or hair test. Is this way perfect? No, however I am just showing you that there is a way that it can be done that doesn't cost thousands a person.

On a side note everyone is tested. People who are under suspicion then have to be retested on the spot. This would be due to an accident or obvious signs of being under some sort of influence,

The War on Drugs is a joke and has done nothing but waste money in this country. Your personal time is exactly that.. your personal time, you are not getting paid on the weekends and therefore your job has nothing to do with how you choose to spend that time. Unless your job performance is sub standard i don't understand what the argument is... you want to prod into the personal lives of employees for no reason other then self satisfaction. I don't care what people do during there own time as long as when they work their performance is on task.... The question i ask is... what difference do you really think it will make? Just like we have thousands of non-violent offenders in jail over drugs who are just wasting away public money when they could actually have a legit job and contributing to society. People who abuse substances is a totally different argument, people are alcoholics and are well within the LAW. I dont really care much about the legal argument of this conversation because its so a** backwards, i'm looking at it from a practical standpoint... I don't care about the, i'm drug tested so should they argument either. The only thing i care about, if you do your job well, why the hell does anyone care about the rest? I don't like the fact i have to hide my passion for guns when i apply for jobs because people are so blinded by how bad they are... It's all personal and i would like people to stay out of my business, but noooo we have to be so judgmental in this country and create and treat people with the worst stereotypes.

I've never been a fan of doing something just because, if a result of drug testing public employees or anyone for that matter had a significant advantage, then sure there is a reason, but i have not herd one argument claiming that it will improve anything.

• Like 1

The War on Drugs is a joke and has done nothing but waste money in this country. Your personal time is exactly that.. your personal time, you are not getting paid on the weekends and therefore your job has nothing to do with how you choose to spend that time. Unless your job performance is sub standard i don't understand what the argument is... you want to prod into the personal lives of employees for no reason other then self satisfaction. I don't care what people do during there own time as long as when they work their performance is on task.... The question i ask is... what difference do you really think it will make? Just like we have thousands of non-violent offenders in jail over drugs who are just wasting away public money when they could actually have a legit job and contributing to society. People who abuse substances is a totally different argument, people are alcoholics and are well within the LAW. I dont really care much about the legal argument of this conversation because its so a** backwards, i'm looking at it from a practical standpoint... I don't care about the, i'm drug tested so should they argument either. The only thing i care about, if you do your job well, why the hell does anyone care about the rest? I don't like the fact i have to hide my passion for guns when i apply for jobs because people are so blinded by how bad they are... It's all personal and i would like people to stay out of my business, but noooo we have to be so judgmental in this country and create and treat people with the worst stereotypes.

I've never been a fan of doing something just because, if a result of drug testing public employees or anyone for that matter had a significant advantage, then sure there is a reason, but i have not herd one argument claiming that it will improve anything.

It has a lot to do with things. I have personally seen pot heads turn to other drugs. They eventually fell from grace to end up junkies and are now dead. People who use illegal drugs, know they are illegal. If you do not have the common sense to stay away from the drugs, your judgement is screwed. Therefore, why should the public trust you. It also doesn't matter when your doing the drugs, if your doing the drugs on your time, it's just as bad as doing drugs any time of the day.

I agree with drug testing.

Guns aren't illegal. Drugs are.

I am not saying that I am drug tested so you should be. I was just showing you that it can be done and not cost thousands per person. Even if I wasn't drug tested my opinion would still be that all public workers should be drug tested. If I was a public worker my opinion would remain the same.

Teachers can be fired for a DUI on a weekend. What makes you think it would be ok to do illegal drugs on the weekend then come in and teach kids and draw a paycheck during the week? It's funny how when teachers have the need to spout off about "it's for the children" when they want raises and benefits yet the kids aren't a factor when it comes to drug testing to ensure the children are getting the best teacher they can get and not a druggie.

Drug testing... It's for the children!!!!

Guns aren't illegal. Drugs are.

I am not saying that I am drug tested so you should be. I was just showing you that it can be done and not cost thousands per person. Even if I wasn't drug tested my opinion would still be that all public workers should be drug tested. If I was a public worker my opinion would remain the same.

Teachers can be fired for a DUI on a weekend. What makes you think it would be ok to do illegal drugs on the weekend then come in and teach kids and draw a paycheck during the week? It's funny how when teachers have the need to spout off about "it's for the children" when they want raises and benefits yet the kids aren't a factor when it comes to drug testing to ensure the children are getting the best teacher they can get and not a druggie.

Drug testing... It's for the children!!!!

every person who touches drugs is a no good junkie..... any person who smokes pot will inevitably die from an heroin overdose... give me a break. We talk about how the government is overreaching all the time, by keeping drugs illegal, they empower criminals, and i have yet to see one shred of evidence that keeping them illegal does this country any good.

I'm still waiting for a response to how this will improve anything? If you do drugs to a point where it effects your job you get tested and fired, we can all agree on this- so the argument shifts completely away from job performance and is now based on stereotypes. If you like to get black out drunk every night that's fine, just don't get a dui, if you want to be addicted to something just make sure its not on the "illegal" list cause we all know the government has our best interests at heart... god forbid someone smokes a joint, they just might turn your kid into a degenerate.... besides some of my best teachers smoked pot every now and then, which partially is why i think this is total crap. These were the people i could go to and talk to, who helped me in school... who made everything interesting and relative and had perspective.... and the people who worked hard to make sure that their students learned something useful.

Drugs have nothing to do with who you are, your personality and your work ethics... addiction is addiction is addiction, i don't care what it is. Tons of people out there would scream if they knew their teacher was an avid 2a supporters, and what the hell does it matter if it's legal or not if i dont get hired or i'm fired just because i support the 2a? It's just another blind assessment that has nothing to do with job performance. You cant base someones character on whether they do drugs or not, tons of people have piss poor character with out ever touching drugs, and some people are the exact opposite. Would you want some guy who goes to a titty bar and gets loaded every night to teach your kid... they can pass a drug test.

It's just another way to shift how we deal with poor performing public workers.... however the reality is, this has nothing to do with removing poor workers because it doesn't take into account anything to do with performance. - you could be a great employee a great person and what some consider to be a highly value asset but loose your job because of a failed drug test.

Bry@n - by that standard, everyone who ever broke a law shouldn't be appointed to a public position, including anything from a speeding ticket and up.....how do i trust someone who cant follow the speed limit? how do i trust public workers? i don't trust anyone period, if they do their job and do it well what the hell do i care how they choose to spend their free time?

When you start poking into the personal lives of employees where does it stop? Your tax money is paid for them to perform a service, not to pry into aspects of their personal life so you feel comfortable paying their salary.

• Like 1

Drugs will never be legal here. Pot isn't that bad of a drug but have you ever known a pot head that functions better high than not? The next step is to something else.

I'm not claiming they should get high on the job...lol. but there is no correlation to someone smoking and moving onto more hard drugs... it's another propagated lie people like to claim... Thats like saying people who drink will inevitable end up doing drugs or become alcoholics. You either have an addictive personality or you don't, your either constantly looking to be screwed up or you just enjoy letting loose every once in a while. Do people who are heroin addicts start with weed? probably... did they do heroin because of pot, no. They did it because they are addicted to the feeling of leaving "reality".. I mean look at cali... by that standard 80% of cali should be dead from heroin. There are tons of studies that have been published that are linked to addiction and how the brain reacts to being under the influence. It boils down to how you react to the high associated with the experience, some people get high when they gamble... you don't even need to take a drug, same with sex and so many other things. Addiction is created when you have to have that feeling all the time... it doesn't matter if its drugs or not. people just assume if you frequently do a drug your an addict, but some people use drugs recreational with no bad effects just like people are able to drink with out getting drunk. Its basically the ability of your brain to react to a lower dopamine level when the high is gone, addicts usually fall to such a low level they feel depressed off the drug or experience, which leads to a repeat, and the higher the high the lower the low.

Obviously a complex subject but interesting reading. I will agree with this:

Test a ten year old? Then test his teacher too.

The War on Drugs is a Joke:

- Filling up prisons for minor offenses

- Confiscating private property for no reason

- Cowboy SWAT teams running aound

- Spending billions of your tax dollars for what? Save the money. Get rid of the prosecutors, judges, LEOs and more. Just kill this giant government industry.

- Giving clean needles to druggies, what?

- Effectiveness, we are ALL IN and ZERO out. Hey even the minimally effective War on Cancer is doing x1000 better than this.

- Anybody hear of Prohibition?? How did that work for ya? That was another Gov Industry.

Happy New Year

A lot of bodybuilding competitions have a "Law Enforcement" class lol.

I mean hell, check out Ronnie Coleman

You dont Ronnie Coleman size drug-free, I dont give a sh*t what anyone says. He just hasnt been caught or maybe he's prescribed the drugs! Steroids run rampant in the bodybuilding communityand not everyone gets tested, sometimes its on the "honor" system. (like their word means anything, -lol) Have u met a juicehead who says he's a juicehead? If so, they are far & few, trust me.

I personally think if you want to alter your body (like the chicks do), it should be done under the supervision of a doctor. Let the doctor moniter your hormone levels, blood tests, etc. Look @ Stallone, he's jacked in his 60's, HGH works.

You dont Ronnie Coleman size drug-free, I dont give a sh*t what anyone says. He just hasnt been caught or maybe he's prescribed the drugs! Steroids run rampant in the bodybuilding communityand not everyone gets tested, sometimes its on the "honor" system. (like their word means anything, -lol) Have u met a juicehead who says he's a juicehead? If so, they are far & few, trust me.

I personally think if you want to alter your body (like the chicks do), it should be done under the supervision of a doctor. Let the doctor moniter your hormone levels, blood tests, etc. Look @ Stallone, he's jacked in his 60's, HGH works.

Exactly my point. Its not that he hasn't been caught, a blind guy can tell hes on the sh!t lol. You can't get a 1/4 of Ronnie Coleman size w/o being on something lol. Certain things are "just known" and not mentioned...just looked the other way.

Their body, their choice. It's not as if the steroids are negatively affecting their ability to defend themselves or subdue a perp. It shouldn't be about fairness. This isn't baseball.

Bigger stronger faster.

The debate about whether a series of compounds more benign than cannabis and alcohol is deemed illegal... Let's have that one.

Their body, their choice. It's not as if the steroids are negatively affecting their ability to defend themselves or subdue a perp. It shouldn't be about fairness. This isn't baseball.

??? Huh??? It's not negatively affecting their ability to do their job properly??? Really? It is a known fact that people on steroids experience roid rages and are more likely to blow up and exhibit very violent behavior. So is it not fair to say that an LEO that is all juiced up is more likely to get violent on the job and/or get carried away with their temper? I have seen this happen first hand, and with people that I was friends with that were LEO.

• Like 2