this_is_nascar

Recommend My Next Rifle

As it relates to long-guns, I have a couple Ruger 10/22 rifles and a Remington 870 Tactical Express 12-gauge shotgun. What would you folks recommend for my next rifle? I have no interest in hunting and right now, at Hagues, I'm limited to a maximum of 25-yards indoors. At this point, it doesn't matter if it's a semi, lever or bolt action. I'd like to stay as low on cost as I can as it relates to ammo. I'm not one to get all jazzed up when I see one of these "GI Joe, ghetto'ed out tactical style" rifles with heat shields, flash suppressors, etc, but if you think one of those is worth recommending, I'm open to the suggestion.

My 1st thought was to get something like this Ruger 77/357, as it would allow sharing of the same ammo if/when I was to get a Smith and Wesson 686 or something along those lines. From what I've read, a .357 round coming out of a carbine like this is something to be appreciated.

7405.jpg

357 isn't cheap, maybe a 9mm carbine ?

And if you don't own a mosin nagant 44 or 91/30 go get one, extremely cheap to own and shoot , and they make one hell of a boom.

They'll REALLY love that at Hagues! :music:

Or dare I say to try a....ummm....:::coughs:: "Hi-point" carbine. Cost effective.

Actually, the recent HiPoints are not a bad thing at all

I got one in 45acp at Cheyenne Mountain about a month ago

The factory iron sights are crap, and the finish is non-existent, but it was less than half the price of my CX4 in 45 and the mags are less than half the price too

Pull the sights, install an inexpensive red dot, order some spare mags from Buds and you're rockin' and rollin' for under $400

Ahhhhhh .45 goodness

Nothing quite like it! :vinsent:

guns are all tools and various tools for different jobs..

I would personally not allow the range I frequent to limit my gun choice in such a narrow way..

you mentioned it is NOT for hunting.. but what is it for.. what kind of accuracy are you seeking? how much would you like to spend per round? given that 25 yards for a rifle is IMHO a joke.. what range would you like to shoot out to? what is your complete budget for the rifle? "cheap" is subjective?

the answers to all of those questions will narrow your search down pretty well..

I keep hearing/reading about these Mosin's, but from what I can tell, they aren't even produced anymore. Is that the case and do you have to find a used one?

it is an old mil surplus gun.. that is extremely cheap to buy... extremely cheap to feed.. LOUD boom big bolt gun.. but buying a used gun should not come with fear or concern.. there are things to look for.. and reputable dealers out there.. there are some used guns out there that will outlive some new guns 10 times over..

but back to the 8milliion questions I asked.. answer them.. and you will really narrow down your search...

I need a tool..

what are you going to do with that tool..

fasten boards..

what kind of fasteners are you using..

screws...

what kind of heads do they have...

Phillips..

OH.. you need a Phillips screw driver..

it is an old mil surplus gun.. that is extremely cheap to buy... extremely cheap to feed.. LOUD boom big bolt gun.. but buying a used gun should not come with fear or concern.. there are things to look for.. and reputable dealers out there.. there are some used guns out there that will outlive some new guns 10 times over..

but back to the 8milliion questions I asked.. answer them.. and you will really narrow down your search...

I need a tool..

what are you going to do with that tool..

fasten boards..

what kind of fasteners are you using..

screws...

what kind of heads do they have...

Phillips..

OH.. you need a Phillips screw driver..

Sorry, but once you made it clear as to your thoughts of using a rifle at 25-yards, I didn't think a response was worth your time or mine. I have no purpose or goal with my next rifle, other than what I've already stated. It's not going to be a "tool" that I "need". It will not be used for hunting. It will be used to shoot indoors @ 25-yards. It may be used, someday, to reach out further than that, I just don't know. I want something "different" than my 10/22's.

guns are all tools and various tools for different jobs.. understood.

I would personally not allow the range I frequent to limit my gun choice in such a narrow way.. has absolutely nothing to do with my question, but thanks for your feedback.

you mentioned it is NOT for hunting.. but what is it for shooting paper, indoors at 25-yards... what kind of accuracy are you seeking? as in most cases the firearm will be more accurate than the person shooting it, so this isn't a real concern for me. how much would you like to spend per round? something inexpensive. not knowing what available limits my ability to say "something less than $XX per round. given that 25 yards for a rifle is IMHO a joke.. again, nothing to do with my question. what range would you like to shoot out to? 25-yards, maybe one day in the very distant future 100-yards. what is your complete budget for the rifle? at this point, I don't have one, meaning cost for the gun is not yet a factor "cheap" is subjective? absolutely agree.

Mosins havent been made since the 50's (most of the ones available were made during WWII). Considering they made 37,000,000 of the rifles, theres probably still way more out there than most modern gun models.

That being said, they ARE all "used" in the sense of them not being brand new, but most have been re-arsenaled and stored slathered in cosmoline in the salt mines of the Ukraine so many of them are "like new" despite being ~65 years old

Very overkill for 25 yards, more so than an AK or SKS since these can shoot out to around 1,000 yards lol. But, big boom, big perma-grin :icon_lol:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10818-how-i-pick-a-good-rifle-when-milsurping-at-fun-shows-or-shop/

Or, if you are getting one from a reputable distributor like aim surplus, you can usually trust their descriptions %100 and purchase blindly.

What would I look for in a Mosin to make sure I'm getting a "good" one?

I say get a mosin from someone in this forum. we got a lot of collectors here that might need to clear out some space in their safes. these will be the same ones who did their homework the first time they bought it.

I think the mosin that I got from here has been passed around like a $2 whore, but I'm happy with it. :p

Not to jump the thread but a few of you have stated a mosin would be cheap to shoot. I don't know much about them but from what I see online they are 7.62x54. That ammo seems to be about the same price as I pay for my 30-06, $.80-1 per round. Should I consider that relatively cheap for a rifle round? I only have a .22 and a 30-06 so my reference point is that the 30-06 ammo is expensive.

Not to jump the thread but a few of you have stated a mosin would be cheap to shoot. I don't know much about them but from what I see online they are 7.62x54. That ammo seems to be about the same price as I pay for my 30-06, $.80-1 per round. Should I consider that relatively cheap for a rifle round? I only have a .22 and a 30-06 so my reference point is that the 30-06 ammo is expensive.

you might be looking at the match grade or 20 per box stuff. you gotta get the cheap, somewhat dirty, but non-corrosive milsurp stuff. the rifle eats that up like nothing, and as long as you clean the rifle after each session, you should be good to go.

Good point. My only reference is .22LR ammo as well, with a bit of knowledge concerning 9mm cost.

Just get the corrosive stuff and clean it after. Its a bolt action, easy as pie to clean. The savings are worth it.

http://www.aimsurplu...Can&groupid=186

http://www.the-armor...roduct1569.html

I say it "seven point six two by fifty four R"

At that price, comparing it to your 50 round boxes of 9mm, it equals $7.72/50 rounds so the full powered rifle will actually be cheaper to shoot than your 9mm (unless you reload 9mm)

• Like 1

Just get the corrosive stuff and clean it after. Its a bolt action, easy as pie to clean. The savings are worth it.

http://www.aimsurplu...Can&groupid=186

http://www.the-armor...roduct1569.html

I say it "seven point six two by fifty four R"

Ahh, that's more like it. Ok, who has a mosin to sell?? haha

Looking in the wrong places or as was said might be match grade ammo you priced, I picked up 6 spam cans of ammo the last time I bought ammo and they were about 80 bucks to my door. So that was 480 bucks for 2640 rounds, that's about .18 cents a round. Thats a whole lot cheaper than 30-06..