NJdiverTony

Another "What should I get???" thread...

Hey all,

So I'm putting in for a few PPP's and will probably pick up at least another one or two pistols over the next few months... but not sure what to get. I already have a couple of great pistols that I absolutely love (Beretta 92A1 and an S&W E-Series 1911), but not sure what else to get. I think the M&P's are sweet with a good trigger job and feel great in the hand, and also like the Sig's (P226). The CZ-75 looks pretty nice too... I've held one or two of them and the grip felt fantastic, but have never had the chance to shoot one... I only hear great things about them though, so I'm sure they're great shooters. Should I look at maybe a nice .22 pistol for target shooting for cheap? My brother in law just got one (can't remember if it's a Buck Mark or Ruger Mark III) recently and seems to really like it... I have never been a big wheel gun guy, but I also haven't shot many of them either... so maybe the right wheel gun would turn me into a big fan? I have tried shooting Glock's before and just couldn't shoot them well for the life of me, so I'd probably just exclude Glock's from search... unless the Gen 4's are radically better as far as ergonomics? Springfield XD's are kind of "meh" for me... not too crazy about the high bore axis on them... The XDm's are sweet looking but I suspect the high bore access thing is still probably true for them too.

My criteria and/or possibilities:

- Cost: No more than $850 (but would possibly spend a little bit more if I found something special that I really fell in love with)

- Something that is fun to shoot and accurate for target shooting (as long as I do my part of course)

- Want to probably stick to 9mm or .45 ACP, as I reload for both of these calibers already, but not totally against .38 or .357 if a nice wheel gun was in the cards.

- Nothing in .40 caliber... Just not a fan of the .40!

- Something with good ergonomics for someone with larger hands. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs, and have larger than average hands... not huge or anything, but I'm just a big guy.

- Possibly something that could be used as a range gun and also for CCW, if needed (not in NJ obviously)... but not not an absolute necessity

- A handgun that will not be a safe queen because it's "too nice" to shoot... I'm only interested in something that I can shoot the snot out of and will keep shooting well for years to come.

So what do you guys think I should look at, or consider purchasing? I know that info above is kind of iffy and uncertain, which is why I'm turning to all you guys for some recommendations... I know that I'll get some good feedback from all of you that will help me narrow down the field!

Thanks for all your advice/recommendations, in advance! :-)

The Gen4 is a upgrade in ergonomics, but it's still a Glock at the end of the day.

I recently picked up a H&K P30, now that's a nice feeling gun. Plenty of different configurations to suite your needs and its in your price. Check out this review:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/david-jensen/gun-review-hk-p30/

Let me know if your interested in shooting either.

Id first pick up a few 22LR, you can go for 3 and cover all the bases as I see it.

GSG 1911-22 covers the 1911 and you already shoot a 1911 and it will feel pretty dang close and make for a good practice gun for that one buy very cheap to shoot.

Ruger MK III or MK III Hunter, probably one of the more accurate 22 pistols out there and I think everyone should have on in their collection.

S&W 617, another 22LR, cheap to shoot, it's a wheelgun, and it's good for steel and OBRAMS (USPSA style but with 22LR's)

The first 2 can be had for not much coin, the 617 will be a little more but I think everyone should have at least 1 wheel gun, and it's a nice cheap introduction to wheelguns.

Then when you get the wheelgun craze, a 686.... :icon_mrgreen:

I have more ideas, so how many P2P's are you getting??

Take a look at the Beretta PX4 Compact. It's the Goldilocks of guns. Not too big, not too small. Just right. It's big enough to shoot well, but small enough for CCW. The rotating barrel soaks up recoil like a metal gun, but the frame is made of light polymer. Plus, you get 15 round Jersey Legal magazines instead of the 10 rounds in the full-size PX4.

If you have a 92A1 that you love, you'll notice that the manual of arms is exactly the same for the PX4 Compact. It's worth looking into.

Take a look at the Beretta PX4 Compact. It's the Goldilocks of guns. Not too big, not too small. Just right. It's big enough to shoot well, but small enough for CCW. The rotating barrel soaks up recoil like a metal gun, but the frame is made of light polymer. Plus, you get 15 round Jersey Legal magazines instead of the 10 rounds in the full-size PX4.

If you have a 92A1 that you love, you'll notice that the manual of arms is exactly the same for the PX4 Compact. It's worth looking into.

There are 15 rounders for the fullsize Px4... I know - I have a bunch.

Id first pick up a few 22LR, you can go for 3 and cover all the bases as I see it.

GSG 1911-22 covers the 1911 and you already shoot a 1911 and it will feel pretty dang close and make for a good practice gun for that one buy very cheap to shoot.

Ruger MK III or MK III Hunter, probably one of the more accurate 22 pistols out there and I think everyone should have on in their collection.

S&W 617, another 22LR, cheap to shoot, it's a wheelgun, and it's good for steel and OBRAMS (USPSA style but with 22LR's)

The first 2 can be had for not much coin, the 617 will be a little more but I think everyone should have at least 1 wheel gun, and it's a nice cheap introduction to wheelguns.

Then when you get the wheelgun craze, a 686.... :icon_mrgreen:

I have more ideas, so how many P2P's are you getting??

Thanks for the info, Harry. I'm putting in for probably 4 or 5... but doubt that I'll use them all... Just putting in for the extras, just in case I come up on a good deal for something.

• If you don't have one, i would say get a wheel gun. I just got my first revolver a few months ago and wow, what fun that thing is to shoot. I had no idea what I was missing. Give it a try, I got the S&W 686 Plus 4" = 7 shot .357 magnum.

20uqsrk.jpg

VERY nice! That's a beauty!

There are 15 rounders for the fullsize Px4... I know - I have a bunch.

Yes, you are correct. I should have qualified my statement. When you get the PX4 it will come with 10 rounders an you will have to purchase the aftermarket magazines from Beretta. My friend had the same problem with the M&P9. His came with 10 rounders and he had to purchase the 15 rounders from Smith & Wesson.

Now if Beretta only made a .22 Conversion kit for the PX4...

Don't forget the Sig 226 with an SRT - love mine in 9mm - you can also pick up a conversion kit for 22 to use on the same frame....

Definitely want to try that out... My brother in law has a P226 Elite... with the E2 grips and SRT... I need to get together with him for some range time to try it out.

Is the grip on the compact PX4 pretty short? I have big hands so that would probably be a consideration for me... I have held a full sized PX4 and it felt pretty good, but the 92's feel much much better in my hand. The PX4 grip is just a bit slimmer than the 92 I think.

the px4 has different size attachments to change the size of back part of the grip, i run mine on large, nice grip by the way...px4 is a very underated gun...

I was aware of the backstrap being changeable, but was curious about the length of the grip... After looking online it seems like it is a little bit shorter but you can get mags that have an extension to make it similar to the full sized PX4 grip.

I agree with a prior post, try out and feel a H&K P30. Before I bought my Beretta, I looked at the H&K....sweet, sweet gun, but was above my budget. Too bad, because it felt amazing in my hand.....never shot it though.

I like the idea of getting a .22 cal. They are cheap too. I'm also looking for another and have been focusing on a Glock 17 or 19. I shot them both before, really liked them, now just need to decide which one to go with....probably the 17.

As others have said, you should really look into revolvers...

I would definitely consider getting two stainless double-action revolvers (a 22LR revolver and a .38/.357 revolver)

Smiths are top-of-the-line, but I prefer the more tough Ruger revolvers any day. And, if you are on a budget, a Taurus would be quite nice, too.

Some possible choices would be:

.22LR

S&W 617 10-shot

Ruger SP101 8-shot

Taurus 990/992 (992 is 22LR and 22WMR)

S&W 686 6 or 7 shot

Ruger GP100 (army tank)

New style Ruger SP101 (would be a nice twin to the 22 SP101

Older Ruger Security/Speed Six

Older Taurus 66

.45 ACP

S&W 625

IF you want an awesome 9mm semi-auto, then look into the Baby Eagle II full-size, compact, or subcompact or a CZ75 or one of its siblings.

I like the Taurus 650/651 snubbies for carry guns. I would like to get one with a Crimson Trace Grip. They do the job, they are relatively inexpensive... and if they were ever carried and you had to give one up, you wouldn't be out a lot of money.