skimdan

Where to buy a safe

Hi All,

So after 3 weeks to the day my FID and Pistol permits came in!!! I already have such big plans for them :yahoo: .

Now I come to the hard part, what kind of Safe do I need? It will ideally be home to two pistols, 1 rifle, ammo, some paperwork... and Im sure my collection will grow. I dont need anything spectacular and Im not sure if I could get away with a "locker". What would everyone suggest for the $200- $400 range? I am open to the used route as well if anyone could recommend any place other than ebay and CL.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi All,

So after 3 weeks to the day my FID and Pistol permits came in!!! I already have such big plans for them :yahoo: .

Now I come to the hard part, what kind of Safe do I need? It will ideally be home to two pistols, 1 rifle, ammo, some paperwork... and Im sure my collection will grow. I dont need anything spectacular and Im not sure if I could get away with a "locker". What would everyone suggest for the $200- $400 range? I am open to the used route as well if anyone could recommend any place other than ebay and CL.

Thanks!

Dan

Always buy bigger than what you think you'll need. Trust me, you'll grow into it. If you buy new, remember gun safes are exempt from sales tax.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Hi All,

Thanks!

Dan

3 weeks! What town do you live in?

I would try looking at Dicks Sporting Goods, I always see deals for their gun safes in the circulars. Also you could try Cabela's if your up for a drive I know they have multiple types and kinds always on display that you can physically check out.

i've had good experiences with www.costco.com if you are a member, they have some pretty decent deals on safes and they go on sale every once in a while.

and I agree, buy 2x or 3x the size you think you'll need.. my safe is already getting stuffed.

Always buy bigger than what you think you'll need. Trust me, you'll grow into it. If you buy new, remember gun safes are exempt from sales tax.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Make sure you remember the bolded above from Bob. Don't let in, safes are exempt! Walk away if they make you pay.

Also consider NewEgg and Amazon. I recently bought 2 safes, 1 from each and received free shipping. Alternative places had the safes at the same cost but an addition $40->$125 shipping.

hth

TheWombat

Adios,

PIzza Bob

+1 on what Bob said... Although I picked a nice Liberty safe that I got a great deal on,when I got one a year ago, it's on the smallish side and wish I had went with something bigger. Mine is pretty full already with all my long guns, pistols, ammo and valuables/important documents, etc. If you're looking to build your collection of guns eventually and are able to spend the extra $$$, definitely go with something bigger than you think you might need, if you can.

Thank you for all the replies!

I am heading to Costco tonight to see what they have in stock, and I will definitely be getting one bigger than I think I need.

Dan

They rarely have them in stock. Your best bet is ordering online(online includes various shipping options, including white glove treatment where they place the safe anywhere you want).

Thank you for all the replies!

I am heading to Costco tonight to see what they have in stock, and I will definitely be getting one bigger than I think I need.

Dan

go online, get the item number, and call your local costco to see if they have it in stock. I've never seen the big safes at Costco or BJs, only the small ones.

Thanks guys, I was going tonight anyway for the monthly stock up... but yes, they did not have any on hand. I did however look at their catalog and was less than impressed. I may just wait for CL or Ebay, but will visit Dicks and Cabela's when I have some time.

Dan

Tractor Supply sells Cannon Safes and if you catch a sale the prices are really good. Don't know if there are any near you, but its a good place to look. Also, I was at the PA Sportsman Show over the weekend and there were a lot of great deals on safes from most of the major manufacturers. Good Luck, and definitely go much bigger than you think you'll need this whole gun thing becomes an addiction!

Are there any solutions for safes where handguns are the prominent weapon of the safe. I know as I build a collection I would like to incorporate an AR and a Shotty, but my own tastes lean towards handguns. Is there such as style safe that will allow modular boxes to include 2-4 long guns and the remaining built for storing handguns/ammo/accessories?

I have the Cannon (I think) safe that Costco runs on sale from time to time. One side is open for long guns, and the other has adjustable shelves for whatever fits there. In my case it's for handguns, some camera stuff, household papers and old photos, and a few hard drives. It's a nice safe, large enough for what I have to put into it, and fairly heavy.

And yes, no sales tax on gun safes in NJ.

Are there any solutions for safes where handguns are the prominent weapon of the safe. I know as I build a collection I would like to incorporate an AR and a Shotty, but my own tastes lean towards handguns. Is there such as style safe that will allow modular boxes to include 2-4 long guns and the remaining built for storing handguns/ammo/accessories?

What about the door organizers. The guns are not in boxes but I have seen some that looked like they held 12 to 16 handguns and didn't take any storage space from the normal areas.

Excuse my naivety, but when you get these huge clunkers delivered curbside, how the hell do you get them in the house? Also, I've heard that a safe provides a focal point of interest for a burglar or other intruder. Do you manage to somehow keep them hidden?

Excuse my naivety, but when you get these huge clunkers delivered curbside, how the hell do you get them in the house? Also, I've heard that a safe provides a focal point of interest for a burglar or other intruder. Do you manage to somehow keep them hidden?

I agree OGG. I'd like to find some hidden gun storage furniture or a hidden gun/rifle safe or even a secret gun room that I could build in the house. Maybe this should be another thread.

http://www.move.com/...lf-closet-door/

http://www.guncabine...en-gun-cabinet/

http://www.hiddensafes.com/large.htm

http://www.gunstorag...un-storage.html

http://www.rhinovault.com/

http://hiddenpassage...ept_doors.shtml

http://www.scribd.co...et-Compartments

http://www.custommad...customwoodworks