Ray Ray

Lehigh Valley, February 12

Alec, too bad you didn't know about this meetup, you could have car-pooled with me and the wifey. I have plenty of shotguns, besides, we can only shoot one person (well, not at one person) at a time so you can always just use a gun from someone in your group.

It was cold, worse was the damn wind! We brought cookies (yes, more of the PPC Friday night cookies Dave) and went to eat some around Station 11 and they were frozen SOLID! Still tasted good though.

I'm glad I found one thing I can shoot better than Ray Ray. He smokes me with everything else!

The wife and I squaded with Dino (forum member here) and his bud Bod. They were using a classic model 11 built in the 40's, still breaking birds just fine!

My wife gave-up after the 14 Station and went to the club house, she had enough of the cold! That backside was nasty with the wind for sure!

We need to do this again in the Spring when it's above 50. I shot below average, but still did ok. Had fun doing Simo pairs on some stations just for the heck of it.

Ha, the wife is still cold and now sitting under a blanket watching qualifying from the Winter Nationals (Drag Racing for those that think NASCAR is the only racing a-round). :)

M4 thanks but i had to pass on the frozen cookies was the 3 guineas shooting behind u

Glad you guys had a good time! Frozen cookies (more ways than one, lol) and all!

Where is "Grumpy's" and what kind of food do they serve? The guys I usually hang with like to stop at "The Prime", which is a steak joint off Rt.22 West by the Wegman's.

Whoa......... We youngsters know something that Dave doesn't. Dang!

Dave, Grumpys is a few miles from Lehigh, kinda right on the way back to Rt 22. They have BBQ, among other items. The ribs are GREAT! They do have some odd-ball items. Recessed Filter had the Crocidile Bites, or were they Alligator Bites???? I had a soup with pieces of steak and cactus in it, Ray Ray made me do it............. I asked the waitress for a side of Armidillo, but I don't think she got the joke, or maybe she was staring at Ray Rays Mohawk. :)

My son eats like I did at his age, non-stop! Guess I need to get a full rack of ribs next time, he really likes them.

Ok so my pics are too big to upload on here so I put them all on my Webshots account, here is a direct link to the album:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/582328405WkhXZv

They came out good, and got some nice ones of clays breaking...

Thoroughly enjoyed myself today! Thanks again Ray for making the thread and motivating everyone to come out. How about another LVSC meet up in April?!

• Like 1

Whoa......... We youngsters know something that Dave doesn't. Dang!

Dave, Grumpys is a few miles from Lehigh, kinda right on the way back to Rt 22. They have BBQ, among other items. The ribs are GREAT! They do have some odd-ball items. Recessed Filter had the Crocidile Bites, or were they Alligator Bites???? I had a soup with pieces of steak and cactus in it, Ray Ray made me do it............. I asked the waitress for a side of Armidillo, but I don't think she got the joke, or maybe she was staring at Ray Rays Mohawk. :)

My son eats like I did at his age, non-stop! Guess I need to get a full rack of ribs next time, he really likes them.

Is it the joint on the left side of the road (heading towards the range) near Lehigh lit-up with neon? A Cantina? I've always wanted to try that place but the older crowd I hang with always blows it off! I'll have to try going with you guys when it warms up a bit! Looks like everyone had fun!

Whoa, glad us abnormal guys (and gal) came out and didn't pull a Harry. Photo's will be uploaded tonight, and they'll show me sucking.

LOL, yea yea, some of have to work now and then, just give me 4 years and 57 days when I can retire if I want and then we can talk about who shows up for stuff and who doesn't.. :icon_mrgreen:

I don't remember much of a sign for Grumpys, here is their link: http://www.grumpysbbq.net/

Andres, were you taking pictures with or without gloves on? I did not take my gloves off once I started shooting. Took a while to get used to them, but once I did I started hitting clays.

I think Ray had an 870, not sure. Andres had the cheapest gun their, $200 Maverick I think, and was amongst the top clay-breaker! Expensive guns do not equal broken clays for sure. :)

I think the Brownings finished about the same for the day.

M4 thanks but i had to pass on the frozen cookies was the 3 guineas shooting behind u

Lemme tell you, those cookies were AWESOME before they got frozen! I was tempted to go back to the warming shack and heat them up, they were so damn crunchy, but at least they still tasted good.

Were you there with your uncle? I didn't realize until the end that you were from the forums also. If you told me, sorry, my brain was started to freeze, more than normal! :)

I was messing with my wife doing the simo pairs, was trying to give her a chance at me, but I was hitting a lot of them anyway. :)

Nice shots. Clays breaking, hulls flying. You've got good timing with that camera. Thanks for putting up those pictures.

Yeah man, no problem! I really enjoy taking pictures and I have had that camera so long that I can get some fairly good pics with it even though it is a basic point-and-shoot. It's funny because my gf got me a DSLR a year ago that takes ridiculous pictures, but I am still a noob when it comes to that camera so I tend to take better pictures with my basic camera than the professional camera lol.

Andres, were you taking pictures with or without gloves on? I did not take my gloves off once I started shooting. Took a while to get used to them, but once I did I started hitting clays.

I think Ray had an 870, not sure. Andres had the cheapest gun their, $200 Maverick I think, and was amongst the top clay-breaker! Expensive guns do not equal broken clays for sure. :)

Haha yeah I didn't take my gloves off once I don't think. It's a fairly simple camera so it's not like I need my fingertips to work a lot of buttons. But I have to contribute that to my perfect shooting gloves I got at Cabela's, they are thin enough to load shells, feel the trigger, use my camera etc, but thick enough to still be warm. The only thing fu*&$(#(*g freezing yesterday was my face and my toes since my work boots aren't insulated.

I will say, as much as people give me crap about my low-end 88, as you said, I can still do pretty damn good with it! It may be a cheaper 500, but I have a ton of shells through it and it has proved itself reliable as well as being a fun shooter.

And or anyone wondering, the main differences between the Mossy 500 and Maverick 88 are the safeties, slide rail/forearm, and the 500 uses USA made parts assembled in USA while the 88 uses US/Mexican parts and assembled in USA. I believe that's basically it. Most parts are interchangeable between the two.

I have a Drag Racing buddy that shoots Trap with me at Mallard with his Mossberg 500 and lemme tell you, he can hit the clays! He averages around 19/20 just like me, but has been as high as 23 with that gun. Never ever failed him, gotta be the plainest-looking gun I've ever seen, yet he hangs right with me score-wise. I still shoot Trap better with my wifes 870, I need more time with my O/U, I'll get there...............I do good with Sporting Clays with my Browning but it is on the light side for Trap, I tend to over-swing it, I am used to the 870 and 1100's.

Harry, keep this thread clean, don't be talking about "nice wood" now. ;)

Lemme tell you, those cookies were AWESOME before they got frozen! I was tempted to go back to the warming shack and heat them up, they were so damn crunchy, but at least they still tasted good.

Were you there with your uncle? I didn't realize until the end that you were from the forums also. If you told me, sorry, my brain was started to freeze, more than normal! :)

I was messing with my wife doing the simo pairs, was trying to give her a chance at me, but I was hitting a lot of them anyway. :)

Yes i had the grey sweat type jacket on and my father in law and uncle were there

I seriously doubt Ian would want to rub wood with you Ray....................

Did Andres get a shot of your new haircut?

The wood on the wifes 870 and my 12g 1100 are nice too. Don't make them like that anymore. My 20g 1100 is not as nice for sure.