Steve_G

1911 Suggestions

I have the day off on the 20th, so I will be going down to the PD to put in for more pistol permits. Numer one on my list is a 1911. The first "Real" gun I shot was a Springfield 1911A1. I put 7 rounds in about an inch and a half circle at 10 yards. I'm glad I shot like that because it really got me more interested in shooting. But, for some reason, I still don't own a 1911. After a little research online, I see that everybody and their mother makes a 1911 nowadays. So, my question is, which brands are the better ones and which brands to stay away from? Full size only, no compact or carry models. I'd like to stay around $800, possibly up to $1200.

Firstly, I'de stay away from the Springfield 1911s. Well over half of the Springfield owners I've spoken with have had to send theirs back due to issues, and many of those owners have had their gun back multiple times. This is enough of reason to keep me from suggesting them. It's a shame, because they have a very large line of well priced pieces but I dont want to buy a gamble of a pistol...which sucks because when they do work properly they are usually very nice. Just not worth the trouble IMHO.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the S&W 1911s. They run perfect out of the box and if for some reason you do get a lemon, they have un-matched customer service. I have run around 5,000 DIRTY & slow lead reloads out of mine without a single malfunction. Its %100 made in America by an American company, too. I have the Pro series in .45, and its awesome... this is 10 rounds 25 yards offhand. The S&Ws are in your budget too, running between $800-1200 typically.

a63fca09.jpg

Firstly, I'de stay away from the Springfield 1911s. Well over half of the Springfield owners I've spoken with have had to send theirs back due to issues, and many of those owners have had their gun back multiple times. This is enough of reason to keep me from suggesting them. It's a shame, because they have a very large line of well priced pieces but I dont want to buy a gamble of a pistol...which sucks because when they do work properly they are usually very nice. Just not worth the trouble IMHO.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the S&W 1911s. They run perfect out of the box and if for some reason you do get a lemon, they have un-matched customer service. I have run around 5,000 DIRTY & slow lead reloads out of mine without a single malfunction. Its %100 made in America by an American company, too. I have the Pro series in .45, and its awesome... this is 10 rounds 25 yards offhand. The S&Ws are in your budget too, running between $800-1200 typically.

a63fca09.jpg

Good looking gun Glenn

I agree, that is really nice. That puts one on my list to check out, thanks.

Take a look at the Kimbers as well. If you have the day off monday, the 9th, come on up to the Bullet Hole. I'm gonna shoot mine for the first time. Also, take a look and see if you can find a Ruger. They msrp for 800 but are quite difficult to find. Might want to order one now and byt the time your permits come in it'll be at the shop.

Good luck. There are a LOT of choices in that platform.

C

Sig 1911s have the most bang for your buck in your price range. At the 1200 dollar limit would be the Smith "E" series guns. Both are great guns that will do what you ask of them. If you spend a little more your into the Springfield Armory TRP/Loaded, Kimber price range.

I'm a huge fan of the S&W 1911s. They run perfect out of the box and if for some reason you do get a lemon, they have un-matched customer service. I have run around 5,000 DIRTY & slow lead reloads out of mine without a single malfunction. Its %100 made in America by an American company, too. I have the Pro series in .45, and its awesome... this is 10 rounds 25 yards offhand. The S&Ws are in your budget too, running between $800-1200 typically.

Glenn, how do you think the E-Series, and other models compare to the Pro Series?

Baba... I assume your talking about the SIGs... they are american made in exeter NH. Yes the parent company is SIG Sauer GmbH, the German representative of Switzerland-based manufacturing firm Swiss Arms AG,

The SIGs are a great deal loaded with features, very little in the way of MIM parts (only 3), I believe storm lake barrels and checkmate mags, for $650 and up dependent on model/features. I paid $850 for a SIGTACOPS.