DSKB20

Build or Buy?

Hi, im new to the forum as well as ar's so looking for some helpful input. i am in the market to purchase my first ar and i am in need of some help.

First, would you recommend building or buying an ar?

Second, what are some good NJ compliant ar's?

Third, if building an ar what are good uppers? how are Stag Arms uppers? I see that this one is available in a compliant version. http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_24&products_id=241

Thanks in advance

Simple, one of each.

I heard Palmetto State Armory makes good uppers as well. They'd likely be a little cheaper as well, if, like myself, you're desperate for cash.

thanks and def need to save money where i can and theres no way i could afford one of each since im still in college.

If you want a varmint rifle and want to shoot lighter bullets, you want a slower twist rate (1/9 even up to 1/12). I've read that the heaviest bullet you SHOULD shoot out of a 1/9 twist rate barrel is 62gr XM855. Not sure how true that is.

If you want a varmint rifle and want to shoot lighter bullets, you want a slower twist rate (1/9 even up to 1/12). I've read that the heaviest bullet you SHOULD shoot out of a 1/9 twist rate barrel is 62gr XM855. Not sure how true that is.

That's such BS. I don't know where you hear this $hit

I stabilize 68gr out of a 1:9 and would go to 72gr but the COL gats to be a problem

Where do you think? THE INTERNETS!

I took that advice with a grain of salt. I still got a 1:7 twist barrel anyway because I'm not going to be shooting varmit loads.

1:7 you can go down to 55gr and accuracy shoud be OK. You can also go heavier than a bullet that will fit in a AR magazine.

build or buy only depends on whether or not your willing to spend the initial cash on the tools, which u end up buying anyway.

What kind of tools would you need? if i decide to build one i would buy a complete upper so i would just be building the lower and maybe making changes to the hand guard.

• Like 1

Roll pin punches, hammer or mallet, and an ar stock wrench (optional).

Thats really all you need. Definately build, I was a little hesitant to build one since I knew very little about them. I spent a few days online researching what I wanted and how to do everything. It all went together fairly easy. Couldn't be happier. I have a 14.5" LW middy from BCM and love it. Read as much as you can on here and other sites like m4carbine.net then make an educated decision on what you want to build and whos parts to use.

Thats really all you need. Definately build, I was a little hesitant to build one since I knew very little about them. I spent a few days online researching what I wanted and how to do everything. It all went together fairly easy. Couldn't be happier. I have a 14.5" LW middy from BCM and love it. Read as much as you can on here and other sites like m4carbine.net then make an educated decision on what you want to build and whos parts to use.

is there any limitations on barrel length here in NJ?

Overall rifle length has to be 26 inches, barrel has to be at least 16". You can have a 14.5" barrel provided it has a pin/welded muzzle brake of 1.5" or more welded on. They typically are a little more than 1.5" specifically for making 14.5" barrels legal both for NFA and state purposes.

NJ 2C:39-1:

o."Sawed-off shotgun" means any shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle, or a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle, or any firearm made from a rifle or a shotgun, whether by alteration, or otherwise, if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

I have the pws 556 compensator pin/welded to the 14.5" barrel and it makes it just over 16". Definately read up on the NJ laws as it pertains to AR's as it will determine whether whatever you purchase would need to be modified and how ( pin the stock, cut off bayonet lug etc.) If you look around these forums you'll find a lot of discussions about it and the "evil features list"

If you have any hesitation about building, go to the Brownell's website and look around - you will find a bunch of videos about the AR15. They will help you learn all of the names of the different parts, how much work it takes to get them together (not too much) and what tools are handy to have.