S&W39

East Brunswick Police Range

I was informed today their working out legal requirements and, hope it can be finalized within the first half of this year. Will it happen? I hope so,but I've been down this road before on this issue. Another place to shoot is always a plus.

Are you sure that you're not just being strung-along? This seems alot like the thread from last year or the year prior to that, no? Is this the same politician you spoke to about this a long time ago? Can you tell us where we can read about this, i.e.: newspaper, township newsletter, etc.?

I would welcome a range in East Brunswick! The more the merrier!

I'm only relaying what he emailed me today. He and several others are new council members since this topic came up over a year ago. I can only give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'm not holding my breath.If this doesn't happen by the summer I'll assume it's a dead issue. Feel free to Email the EB council if interested,for instance [email protected] don't use the township format on their site it won't work.

Last I knew it was only open to other LEOs for time their agnecies paid for, not for personal use.

Exactly! Last I heard a Police Department could pay to rent it, by appointment only, no individual walk-ins allowed. An insurance issue supposedly (makes sense).

So what we have here is a mere change in politician(s), NOT in POLICY. I just hope that they can "cut the red tape" and get this done--OR just own up to the possibility that it won't ever happen. I would prefer the former instead of the latter.

Is this an indoor or an outdoor range? I know Berkeley has an outdoor police only pistol range in the municipal center next to the recycling center but it is off limits to civilians.

Indoor Range, complete with tactical "Movers", "Pop-Ups" and other "bells & whistles" that would be a really cool course of fire to try. Otherwise it's just another indoor range to hit paper...

Does anyone know if the East Brunswick range is currently open for LEO's to use for personal use?

Pretty sure it is not. Every time I've ever seen the range in use it was when a class was being actively taught.

Indoor Range, complete with tactical "Movers", "Pop-Ups" and other "bells & whistles" that would be a really cool course of fire to try. Otherwise it's just another indoor range to hit paper...

Thanks, that explains the attraction.

The range is losing money, they expected all the surrounding police depts to go there. It never became the center for all of middlesex county that they thought it would. They have to do something, the tax payers are screamming. It would not surprise me to see it opened to the public . It would bring much needed revenue to keep it operational .

The range is losing money, they expected all the surrounding police depts to go there. It never became the center for all of middlesex county that they thought it would. They have to do something, the tax payers are screamming. It would not surprise me to see it opened to the public . It would bring much needed revenue to keep it operational .

Yes, all this is true. It was was even published some time back a while ago now.

As to the "losing money" problem: Is it staffed by Cops drawing salaries + benefits? How many? Reason I ask is that a commercial for-profit range can't afford to hire a RO at six figures annual salary + benefits. So having 2-4 on staff at that investment level to man the range could get so expensive that even if every lane was full most of the time it would still lose money. I'm not saying that's the case here, but if it is, well, it wouldn't surprise me. A commercial for-profit operation would pay what ever the going rate is for range officers and maybe a high school kid to sweep up the brass--NOT Cops with 20-30 years of service in already that are nearing the six figure mark OR MORE!

The way it was explained to me recently by a EB council member was, that the option of leasing it out to a private propreitor was another option. The council member told me they have the votes to approve this. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I've been down this road before. The last thing I was told was, sometime during the first half of this year the range might be open to the public. I don't think the Township realizes how much interest there is in regards to this issue. I urge all shooters interested to write to the EB council expressing their interest in seeing the range opened to the public.