sjk1987

FID taken during change of address

Does anyone know exactly what u should do?

This week I changed my address and the man in the records dept. Took my firearms card... I called the state and they said "they didn't need to" a few of my friends said the same... so when I tryed to get it back they refused to .... what should I do?

Yeah, they shouldn't have taken it from you, as you could still use it to buy ammo while you're waiting for your updated FID. If they refuse to give it back to you, I'd call the NJSP firearms division and see if they can call your PD and get them to give it back to you.

By "the state", do you mean the NJSP Firearms Unit? If so, ask them to call your PD.

There are two thoughts here.

1. The card is no longer valid, because the information on it is not correct, therefore it can not be used to purchase firearms.

2. Just because you moved does not make you a probitied person. You still need it to acquire ammunition.

What you should have done is kept it, say it was lost, and filed for a new card. You still could only use it for ammo purchases.

• Like 3

I recently filed for a change of address via my local State Police. They returned the old card to me and did not confiscate it. I do think the Staties have a better feel for "what is correct" then perhaps some local PDs and in a way I am glad we have Staties for our local jurisdiction.

Jefferson Twp took mine as well when I changed my address and gave me a photo copy, for what it's worth....

8 weeks to get a new card. But on the other hand I just got 3 P2P in 34 days. And they extend them like they are supposed to.

West Milford tried to pull this bs with me too. I told them it got destroyed in the washing machine. The dumb lady asked me if i had the pieces to it, I said no I threw it out! friggin ridiculous these towns, I can not wait until I move out of this state, I'm going to shred that piece of crap into a thousand pieces and mail it to them

Might as well let them have it. If the address doesn't match your DL it is useless anyways.

Plus, if you yourself aren't careful and destroy it and it gets into the wrong hands, it could come back to haunt you.

Are there statutes that cover proper disposal/destruction of the card?

None that I am aware of. It will be interesting to see if and when I pick up my new FID if the State Police request my old one at that time.

So then I will call the state firearms dept. But do you think they will even bother helping?I mean I really don't want to make a big stink about it considering the town could make it alot more difficult for me than it really has to be

Personally, I wouldn't "rock the boat" at this point. But that's just me...

None that I am aware of. It will be interesting to see if and when I pick up my new FID if the State Police request my old one at that time.

When I moved to Monroe I applied for a new FID with my current address and 3 PPP's,. At that time I was told that I would have to relinquish my old FID card only after my new one was issued. during that time I purchased ammo at several Dicks with the old FID and my new Drivers License where the addresses obviously did not match. When I was contacted by Monroe PD to pick up my new papers, I was instructed to put my old FID in an envelope with $11.00, No hassle or fuss.

How so? With the wrong address on the ID, it isn't "valid". Therefore, using the ID would be considered a crime. No?

Please stop saying it's not "valid." That's exactly opposite to what the law says:

NJSA 2C:58-3

(f) Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants. A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section, whereupon the card shall be void and shall be returned within five days by the holder to the superintendent, who shall then advise the licensing authority. Failure of the holder to return the firearms purchaser identification card to the superintendent within the said five days shall be an offense under subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:39-10. Any firearms purchaser identification card may be revoked by the Superior Court of the county wherein the card was issued, after hearing upon notice, upon a finding that the holder thereof no longer qualifies for the issuance of such permit. The county prosecutor of any county, the chief police officer of any municipality or any citizen may apply to such court at any time for the revocation of such card.

It is absolutely still valid, and, pursuant to the statute, the PD has absolutely no authority to take it from you. They are breaking the law, because they're not following the requirements for revoking an FID.

This whole "validity" thing comes from the the NJ Administrative Code, which prohibits vendors from selling firearms to individuals whose information on their FID doesn't match their DL (or some such language like that). I don't think it prevents a vendor from selling you ammunition, and if it does, I don't think it can prevent you from purchasing ammunition from an online retailer and having it shipped to you.

• Like 2

BRaptor,

That is EXACTY my point. The card is NOT invalid. It is only invalid on THIS FORUM.

I don't think it is NJ Admin Code that prohibits FFLs from non-matching addy's. I THINK it is ATF guidelines. Although I have heard from multiple FPIDs that as long as both IDs are "valid" they would accept them.

This forum is what goes completely nuts about "matching FPID and NJDL" for FTF transfers, when an NJDL is not even required for FTF.

Next time you are at your LGS, ASK the FFL what he/she thinks.

ac

When I applied for my change of address the State Police told me to keep the old one in case I wanted to buy another gun. It's not like they don't run a NICS anyway and your FID # doesn't change.

As far as ammo, again, same FID # and dl# and I think that is all they record in their little black book when you buy ammo.

Again this is what the State Police told me. I even bought a couple long guns out of state with my wrong address FID while I was waiting for my new FID.

Just my $.02

BRaptor,

That is EXACTY my point. The card is NOT invalid. It is only invalid on THIS FORUM.

I don't think it is NJ Admin Code that prohibits FFLs from non-matching addy's. I THINK it is ATF guidelines. Although I have heard from multiple FPIDs that as long as both IDs are "valid" they would accept them.

This forum is what goes completely nuts about "matching FPID and NJDL" for FTF transfers, when an NJDL is not even required for FTF.

Next time you are at your LGS, ASK the FFL what he/she thinks.

ac

So, I got curious and did a brief search.

My prior post (regarding a retailer not being able to sell to a person with mismatched FID/DL addresses) was based on a prior statement I read on this forum.

But, after my own search, I couldn't find anything in the NJ Administrative Code (NJAC) saying that a dealer couldn't sell a firearm or ammunition to someone whose DL doesn't match their FID.

In fact, the only thing the NJAC says is that a person must apply for a duplicate FID in the instance of change of address within 30 days of the change of their address. NJAC 13:54-1.11(a). It doesn't even say the FID becomes invalid after 30 days. In fact, the NJAC says just the opposite. The NJAC mirrors the statute in NJAC 13:54-1.7 (i.e. the FID is valid until the holder is subject to one of the disabilities listed, which DOES NOT include a mismatch of FID / DL).

NOTHING that I found in the NJAC prevents a dealer/retailer from selling a handgun to a person with mismatched FID / DL addresses. See NJAC 13:54-3.9 (a) 5. In fact, the NJAC only requires that the retailer obtain the purchaser's signature and address in their [the purchaser's] own handwriting. See NJAC 13:54-3.13.

Am I missing something here, or are horrid misrepresentations of the law becoming the norm on this forum?

• Like 1

So, I got curious and did a brief search.

My prior post (regarding a retailer not being able to sell to a person with mismatched FID/DL addresses) was based on a prior statement I read on this forum.

But, after my own search, I couldn't find anything in the NJ Administrative Code (NJAC) saying that a dealer couldn't sell a firearm or ammunition to someone whose DL doesn't match their FID.

In fact, the only thing the NJAC says is that a person must apply for a duplicate FID in the instance of change of address within 30 days of the change of their address. NJAC 13:54-1.11(a). It doesn't even say the FID becomes invalid after 30 days. In fact, the NJAC says just the opposite. The NJAC mirrors the statute in NJAC 13:54-1.7 (i.e. the FID is valid until the holder is subject to one of the disabilities listed, which DOES NOT include a mismatch of FID / DL).

NOTHING that I found in the NJAC prevents a dealer/retailer from selling a handgun to a person with mismatched FID / DL addresses. See NJAC 13:54-3.9 (a) 5. In fact, the NJAC only requires that the retailer obtain the purchaser's signature and address in their [the purchaser's] own handwriting. See NJAC 13:54-3.13.

Am I missing something here, or are horrid misrepresentations of the law becoming the norm on this forum?

this was an ATF issue, where Paul linked to the post, where it explicitly stated the Driver license had to have current address, and matching.

By "the state", do you mean the NJSP Firearms Unit? If so, ask them to call your PD.

There are two thoughts here.

1. The card is no longer valid, because the information on it is not correct, therefore it can not be used to purchase firearms.

2. Just because you moved does not make you a probitied person. You still need it to acquire ammunition.

What you should have done is kept it, say it was lost, and filed for a new card. You still could only use it for ammo purchases.

Didn't have to read the rest of the thread, as this is just what I was going to type! So a big +1 from me!

I just found this thread because I moved and need to change the address on my card. I like how my town is stating they MUST collect the old card.

http://www.mopd.org/...nstructions.pdf

How are they going to collect your lost card???? :unknw:

Old Bridge kept my FID when I moved from Woodbridge. Took 5mos to get the replacement FID, plus going through all that mess again. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have handed it over.

Plus, your DL will only have the change of address sticker on the back, so the front will still match for discerning FFL's out there.

I just found this thread because I moved and need to change the address on my card. I like how my town is stating they MUST collect the old card. http://www.mopd.org/firearminstructions.pdf

I don't know, the way I read that is they have to take your old card before they give you the new card. Meaning (the way I read it) that you apply for the new card and after the new card comes in, you have to give them the old card before they'll issue the new card. At least I believe that's what it's supposed to mean, whether or not that's how they interpret that who knows.