Sign in to follow this  
n4p226r

NYC arreasts SEAL?

If his commander says he was authorized to be armed then he's off the hook with NY.

There are a variety of reasons SPECOPS personnel may be authorized to be armed when off duty or on leave.

Yeah, add to the fact the guy is a SEAL. He has more credibility carrying a gun then anyone i can think of.

The cops didn't believe him? Haha.

I'm sure he will be off the hook, and this will be swept under the rug.

SEALS do not have special ID AFAIK. There is no secret SEAL handshake or tattoo. The fact that he is a SEAL has nothing to do with this being "swept under the rug". The fact that he is in the military and was or was not authorized to be armed by his commander is the determining factor.

I doubt any "authorization" to be armed had any legal standing, but quite frankly, he, like you or me, shouldn't even need it! I find this whole situation quite ironic actually, but not for the usual ironic reasons.

How can his, or anyone's commander authorize him or anyone to be armed while on leave? Unless they are treated like, for example, OSI, as federal law enforcement officials, then I am confused.

three ammunition clips.

Just for future reference. I am not sure I have ever read a news article that hasn't had something in it that makes us shake our heads a bit.

Since the only side of story we heard came from NYPD, I think it's safe to assume that it is presented in a way that benefits NYPD the most (see "cocaine" in Meredith Graves's) pocket.

That said, if a SEAL operator was detained like that, I would not expect him to yell that he is a SEAL. He'd just need to give cops his his military ID (which would only go as far as indicating that he serves in some ho-hum Navy unit or USMC), and let the cops to make the calls and receive intsructions to release him from somewhere high up in Pentagon.

But that is a moot point. Given the circumstances of his arrest and his subsequent behavior (again, disclaimer, possibly twisted by NYPD), his operator skills look very suspect.

I doubt any "authorization" to be armed had any legal standing,

Being in the military and being authorized to be be armed has all the legal standing required. If you look at carry statutes in differenr states, military are an exempted category. These statutes are really meaningless to the military under Federal orders and authorized to carry weapons on duty as the Federal government is not subject to state laws. How do you think those National Guard personnel "got away with" carrying weapons when manning different posts due to terrorist alerts?

That being said I don't think this guy was authorized to carry on leave. It is possible for a commander to do so as I said in my previous post. If he were, he wouldn't have put up any argument, a phone call would have been made, he would have been given his pistol back and released, and we wouldn't be reading anything about this in the paper. There are loose cannons in the SEALS as there are everywhere else.