Babaganoosh

Made up some target stands

Made up a few target stands. I'm gonna be throwing them up on the marketplace later tonight. I'm going to be making more for anyone that wants them. I can vary the width if needed, these are 18 inches. My next few designs will be a hostage add on (no shoot for uspsa guys), probably a stand for posts so you can use your steel, and possibly a folding version. I do have a job so these aren't going to happen overnight. I can make a few of these at a time though. I am not the best welder since I haven't welded in years but they are light years better then some of the ones I have seen.

First thing I did was make up and tackweld a jig to a metal panel.

IMG_20120125_125314.jpg

This is what it looks like with some steel in it.

IMG_20120125_130938.jpg

I had a commercial one on hand to get the measurements from. It's in the Dillon Blue Press magazine. It's something like 44 bucks. I wouldn't say it's junk, but it's not great. Very thin steel and its really only tack welded in a few places. Then it's coated with something that they baked on. It was never used and yet it's already flaking off. It also had holes drilled in it for stakes but I added a small pipe to use as a stake down area.

These things are solid. Weight is about 5 pounds each. Gonna throw some primer on them in a few minutes.

IMG_20120125_142251.jpg

IMG_20120125_142242.jpg

2 stacked

IMG_20120125_143107.jpg

• Like 1

I'll take one or two, depending on the cost. Can you build them to accept 2X4's, like some that are out there. I want to be able to shoot rifle at a metal swinger and not have the 1" x 2" furring strip snap on me.

Very Nice, we are all waiting for the price. Question for members of Central Jersey, can you use these in the pits? I know they have some metal already in the ground for stakes on the 200 yard range.

yes you can they are the same type of stands we use for USPSA.

I'm trying to work out a price. I've been checking out all the places online that sell stands. The highest I have seen so far is 44.95 from the Dillon magazine, and that one is kinda shitty. The one I made is exactly the same size and weighs a pound more. There is no way I would sell them for that much. I would feel like I am ripping people off. I just want to get a good product out to all the guys at a good price and make a few bucks on them. Like I said, I already have a job so this is done in my spare time. Luckily I am out of work by 1 so I have the time to work on things like this. Hell, I won't be making any money anyway because anything I do make will go right into the shooting fund account.

I'm going to cook dinner, do some math and come back with a price. I can say this with 99% accuracy, they will prob be 35 bucks each. 2 for 65. 3 for 98.

I am also thinking about drilling holes thru the feet so you can stake there as well. I attached small pieces of pipe because I like the clean look on the feet, however I noticed that all the target companies drill holes in them. I'm thinking someone will try to drive a stake thru the stakedown pipe, miss, smash the pipe and knock it off. Holes thru the legs are more idiot proof. If people can break something, they will. Anyone have an opinion on this? Maybe include both? Holes and pipe?

Is that painted and all? Or just fabricated? If painted, $35 is reasonable.

There is a fellow making them on Brian Enos forums, where I got mine, $20 a piece, if you buy 5. and they are a foldable design.

Pic included.

They did not come painted, so I did myself. Personally I would buy more of these if you made your foldable. For those that do have a pickup truck... a few of those target stands will be taking up too much room.

If you just need one target stand, then these are perfect, as they are a little more heavy weight.

sah.jpg

• Like 4

Is that painted and all? Or just fabricated? If painted, $35 is reasonable.

There is a fellow making them on Brian Enos forums, where I got mine, $20 a piece, if you buy 5. and they are a foldable design.

Pic included.

They did not come painted, so I did myself. Personally I would buy more of these if you made your foldable. For those that do have a pickup truck... a few of those target stands will be taking up too much room.

If you just need one target stand, then these are perfect, as they are a little more heavy weight.

They are fabricated and primed. I just want to keep the rust off em. Target stands get scratched and nicked up so no sense painting them up really nice because at the end of the day they get shot at.

35 is reasonable? Every place I see the stands, they want more money for less. I used thicker steel and welded it all vs a few short spot welds. It's not like the tolerances have to be really tight, but you gotta measure and cut every piece, deburr and grind, fit and weld it all. Then a little more grinding, then prime them. Not to mention I gotta drive to the metal shop and get the steel. It's not like I own a machine shop and can pump these out like crazy. I'm just one guy who has the resources to be able to build a few stands here and there. I think 35 bucks is more than reasonable, especially considering how much we spend on this sport. I'm doing this for fun and to help the guys out, not to make money.

I don't like that foldable design that much. The more stuff you have on it, the more stuff to break, get messed up, or lose. 2 sets of bolts, nuts and washers is just asking for trouble. I could be wrong but the hardware looks like it should be beefed up a bit. Hard to tell with the pic though. I wouldn't mind seeing one in person. If I wanted to make something foldable I would go with just one foldable piece in the middle. Maybe something that folds into an X. Dunno though since I would have to mess around with some ideas and try some of them out.

You don't need a pickup truck for a few of these stands, I have a Honda Civic and can throw a bunch in with all my other shooting needs with plenty of space left over. They stack on top of each other. Yeah a folder does take up less space but it is less durable and definitely not as sturdy. Besides the fact that not everyone needs or wants to take 10 target stands to the range. Maybe you do since you will prob set up some quasi- stages to practice USPSA, but if I want to take a rifle to the range I only need one or two. Folder or non folder? It just depends on your personal needs.

• Like 2

The reason most target stands have holes someplace in the "legs" is because with jsut one anchor point, you don't prevent rotation. Which is an issue if youa re constantly messing with the target to tape between shooters like at a match.

Also, the average USPSA shooter helping to clean up counts very much as an unskilled gorilla... it'll tax the welds.

I def will.

Brian, are you thinking a a single 2x4 or dual. What I was saying earlier was the same stand you just made except instead of the small section of pipe to hold the stand down, maybe a box for a 2x4 lust like the 2 end ones for the 1x2's, then you would have a stand for both IPSC and Steel.

As far as the people asking for fold-able, maybe something similar to the one Maks posed, but the 2 end support pieces rather than bolting on flat stock, bolt on angle stock, more sturdy and probably a little cheaper than square stock.

I picked up my two stands from Baba the other night. Super sturdy and well made. I am looking forward to taking them to Central jersey and not having to bum furring strip clamps from JimmyAGR and Keith any more. :)

Brian is a good guy. I consider these stands at these prices to be a public service to forum members. Huzzah for Babaganoosh!