Kaiser7

Biggest (Firearm related) Pet-Peeve?

I'm bored, sitting here waiting for class, and I was just wondering how many people get annoyed by the same stuff I do, or what other things annoy you. Granted, regular pet-peeves are interesting to hear too, so talk about them if you wish. I was just curious if you guys felt the same about.....

1)I can't stand people who can't differentiate between a CLIP and a MAGAZINE. It's okay to occasionally slip-up, but in the media, that mistake is made constantly. It annoys me every time.

2) When people say any automatic firearm is a machine gun. An AK47 is NOT a machine-gun, it's an assault rifle. I'm a little more forgiving with people who consider guns like the M134 Gatling guns (Use external engine to power firing, not a machine gun). But this is another thing.

3) My final one is this, whenever the news calls someone shooting from a building a "sniper" regardless of their training, equipment, or any other factors. If someone shoots from an elevated position, they consider them a sniper.

Granted, I can be an easily annoyed person, but I'm sure SOME of you feel the same way I do about these, or other things. I just wanted to see if I was alone or not.

Your pet peeves mirror mine, #1 & #2 especially. #1 is my biggest pet peeve, it drives me UP THE WALL.

I had one guy start into a pissing contest about firearm knowledge with me and he called mags clips. I called him out on it and he said its the same thing. I was like dude, I cannot continue this conversation, sorry.

My biggest pet peeve - people who fear guns as innately dangerous objects, unable to be safely operated or even stored by anyone.

These same people don't give a second thought about getting into their car and driving within feet of other cars traveling at a relative speed of 100mph or more.

• Like 6

My biggest pet peeve - people who fear guns as innately dangerous objects, unable to be safely operated or even stored by anyone.

These same people don't give a second thought about getting into their car and driving within feet of other cars traveling at a relative speed of 100mph or more.

This!^

My good friends GF will walk out of a room if I have a gun sitting on the table being cleaned. She wont even touch one. Never has in her entire life and has no past trama to make her afriad. she just is

• Brand fanatics

• Guys who respond to a legitimate criticism of an item they already own by throwing out relatively meaningless statements like "I've had 400 rounds through it without a hitch!". Particularly when the points of contention aren't even related to FTF/FTE problems.

• The fact that every rifle in existance is apparently able to shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards using factory ammo. The groups in question also appear to be vampires, as they always fail to show up in photos.

• Fans of .45 that love to tell you how powerful it is, then turn around and call the .223 underpowered.

• Cop out answers to valid expense concerns built around the statement "Isn't your life worth more than $X?"

I have to admit, I have always wanted to try flicking a revolver open. I've never held a revolver or used one, so that might be why I'm ignorant to that.

But I forgot, THIS made my blood boil XD

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?ID=9&section=products

• Like 1

• The fact that every rifle in existance is apparently able to shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards using factory ammo. The groups in question also appear to be vampires, as they always fail to show up in photos.

I was able to do that with 50 year old Yugo Surplus 8mm, with my VZ, first time out, and have a pic to prove it XD.

Let me have these bragging rights, I don't know a lot of people who would find that impressive XD.

1)I can't stand people who can't differentiate between a CLIP and a MAGAZINE. It's okay to occasionally slip-up, but in the media, that mistake is made constantly. It annoys me every time.

+1. I can't stand this. I feel like if you want to think that you know anything about firearms, you should be able to make this distinction.

I also hate how uninformed people seem to assume that the only handgun that exists is the Glock. Anytime I ask someone what they would want to shoot if they could shoot anything, so many people seem to say "I wanna shoot a Glock." Really? Out of all the possible guns? It seems like some people think all handguns are just another version of a Glock.

I was able to do that with 50 year old Yugo Surplus 8mm, with my VZ, first time out, and have a pic to prove it XD.

Let me have these bragging rights, I don't know a lot of people who would find that impressive XD.

My point is that discussions of accuracy on gun boards are often worthless because everyone is functioning off the assumption their rifles shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with even crap ammo, regardless of what groups they're actually shooting when they head out to the range.

+1. I can't stand this. I feel like if you want to think that you know anything about firearms, you should be able to make this distinction.

I also hate how uninformed people seem to assume that the only handgun that exists is the Glock. Anytime I ask someone what they would want to shoot if they could shoot anything, so many people seem to say "I wanna shoot a Glock." Really? Out of all the possible guns? It seems like some people think all handguns are just another version of a Glock.

I'm not one of those people. I don't care for Glocks. Sure the name lends itself to funny t-shirts (like the one at the gun show the other day, "suck my Glock") but honestly, I don't like the idea of a plastic firearm. I feel as though it wouldn't take an overcharged round as well. Granted, you SHOULD know not to put an insanely hot round into any gun, but I feel that a 1911 would stand up to it better.

I say this, but I'm a huge Five-seveN fan. Guess I'm hypocritical.

The fact that every rifle in existance is apparently able to shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards using factory ammo. The groups in question also appear to be vampires, as they always fail to show up in photos.

If those groups seem like "Vampires" because of lack of pics, then my rifles shoot 1/8-MOA "Big Foot" groups :D

;) j/k

If those groups seem like "Vampires" because of lack of pics, then my rifles shoot 1/8-MOA "Big Foot" groups :D

Perfect. Find a couple of guys willing to waste dedicate their lives to finding evidence of those groups and I think you've got all the content you need for the next big reality show for Discovery :icon_lol:

Perfect. Find a couple of guys willing to waste dedicate their lives to finding evidence of those groups and I think you've got a the makings of the next big reality show for Discovery :icon_lol:

I'm going to de-rail my own thread. I actually (No Joke) know the truth behind big-foot if anyone's interested. I've posted it before, but I don't think anyone read it.

Going to the DFAC and the guards would watch us clear our weapons and make the guys with the M-16's close their bolt and those with the M-249's lock theirs' wide open.

But one thing - Someone taking shots from a hidden position is, by definition, a sniper.

When somebody calls a rifle a gun. It's not a GUN it's a rifle. Not real sure why it bothers me, it just does.

I have to admit, I tend to do that. When I was in NJROTC, I was perfect with either calling them drill rifles, or weapons. I've sort of slipped back into calling a rifle a gun haha.

When somebody calls a rifle a gun. It's not a GUN it's a rifle. Not real sure why it bothers me, it just does.

Straight from dictionary.com.

gun

a weapon consisting of a metal tube, with mechanicalattachments, from which projectiles are shot by the force of an explosive; a piece of ordnance.

any portable firearm, as a rifle, shotgun, or revolver.

a long-barreled cannon having a relatively flat trajectory.

any device for shooting something under pressure: a paintgun; a staple gun.

What am I missing? Seems to me like the broad category is "gun", and that there are different sub-categories that break off of this. Every rifle is a gun, but every gun is not a rifle. It's like taking my Honda Civic and calling it a car. Every Civic is a car, yet every car is not a Civic.

• Like 1

When people learn you own guns and then say dumb **** like "I'm scared of you" , " I'm not gonna make you mad" , " I know where to go when I want someone dead" , "why do you even have one?" ,"I've never held a gun and I never want to" , "Don't mess with Elvis he has guns" , "your job is safe as long as you own guns" , "Can you take me shooting?....I always wanted to blow **** up" .... on and on. oh and new gun owners you buy something like a dessert eagle 50 for their first gun for cool factor, and do more bragging then shooting and controlling there firearm safety.

Owning a gun does not make you a short tempered serial killer who fires when your toes get stepped on. You're not gonna be blowing **** up with my guns. If you came to me asking for someones death I'm probably calling the cops. More people get hurt playing football or baseball then they do shooting, shooting is a sport!

people are ignorant.

• Like 1

1) Some of the ways gun owners are portrayed in the news.

2) People blaming accuracy on anything but their massive flinch.

3) Loud mouths at the range telling me I need something bigger than 9mm if I want to stop an intruder while they can barely keep on paper at 7 yards.

4) Brand whoring.

5) Getting flagged at gun stores.

• Like 1

That just because someone doesn't like them, or want them, means that I shouldn't be able to either. That is BY FAR by biggest firearm related pet peeve. I can't say anything more without being, at the very least, ironic.

I probably have too many to list here, but here are some that come to mind:

- sweeping

- people calling guns "gats"

- mall ninjas (or equivalent) that say stupid **** like 5.56 is way underpowered and if our soldier had a choice they'd choose something else

- people that say M16/M4s are unreliable

- people that think anything under .45ACP is underpowered pistol round

- people that think you should should aim for limbs to disable an assailant and not shoot to kill him

- people that say things like "excessive firepower"

- people that use terms like "assault weapon"

- people that don't understand how a trigger safety (like the Glock safety) is a safety

- people that argue anti-gun without any actual experience

- people that say things like: "what do I care about OGAM/mag restriction/etc, I only shoot X"

- people that talk about how they are god's gift to shooting on a forum

etc....

What am I missing? Seems to me like the broad category is "gun",

That all comes from the movies and some that have served in the military. Having been trained as an artilleryman I can tell you that the whole "this is my rifle this is my gun.." stuff exists in the military anymore is purely as a means to differentiate between different weapons actually in inventory or might be encountered in the field.

In the civilian world there is no reason to do the R Lee Earmy stuff at all, unless there is a real chance you might be talking about the 155mm field piece someone brought to your local rifle range.