msg73

Just picked up a 9mm Spartan V...my initial thoughts

The 9mm Spartan V is everything I'd hoped it to be. It came generously lubed, so I tore it down to wipe the excess lube and headed to the range. While I've only shot 155 rounds (Walmart Fed 115g), it functioned flawlessly and was accurate right out of the box. The trigger was around 6lbs and had a bit of creep. Overtravel was set exactly like I prefer from the factory (i.e. hardly any overtravel). The mag was easy to seat with a solid click and released smoothly. The slide/barrel had a nice fit without any play while still feeling smooth when I racked it. I noticed that the cases were only ejecting a couple of feet. Made it easy to pick up the brass, but may be a sign of heavy springs. I contacted STI to confirm the stock spring weights and they told me 10lbs for recoil and 15lbs for hammer/mainspring. In comparing the stock springs to a set of new Wolff springs (9lb recoil, 17lb main), the Wolff springs seemed lighter. I've heard that the stock springs were 12lb recoil and 19lb main and that seems more accurate than what STI told me.

When I got home, I started to fune tune it (trigger job, polishing, etc). I installed the Wolff springs and it was a bit easier to rack. I'll see how it shoots at my next range session and play with different springs, if necessary. The feed ramp on the frame seem polished a bit as the parkerizing was polished off but I took out my dremmel and buffed the frame/barrel ramps to a mirror shine. I also polished the trigger bow and bent out the pre-travel tabs to get rid of the play. Now there's hardly any pre/over travel. I then tweaked the sear spring and got my trigger pull to 3.6lbs. I'll shoot another 500 or so rounds and see if the trigger pull lessens. If not, I'll probably tweak it some more to get it around 3lbs. I ordered 4 Tripp 10rnd mags as I've heard many positive reviews. I expect them to run fine, but will reply back if there are any issues with them. Also picked up new magwell, grips, extended mag release, holster and mag pouches.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and would propose that it's one of the best bang for the buck 1911's. Yes, you can get others that are double the price but I can't imagine they perform twice as good.

Mike

Nice review! I'm proud to say that many many moons ago I brought this very gun to light on this forum. Some back then didn't even know it existed. Now lots of folks know about it, and more will purchase after reading this fine review. Thanks & enjoy your new 1911!

Dave

I contacted STI to confirm the stock spring weights and they told me 10lbs for recoil and 15lbs for hammer/mainspring. In comparing the stock springs to a set of new Wolff springs (9lb recoil, 17lb main), the Wolff springs seemed lighter. I've heard that the stock springs were 12lb recoil and 19lb main and that seems more accurate than what STI told me.

Yep 12/19 are stock. I dropped mine to 9/17, good combination, ejects well and shoots flatter

Do the 22lr conversion kits work on these 9mm, or only on the 45 version?

Interested in hearing the answer to that and cost. More than likely being it's a STI conversion I should know better than ask the price of the conversion.. :icon_mrgreen:

Would be nice to have the same trigger and everything but shoot cheap ammo, but I have a feeling it would be cost prohibitive unless you had a money tree in full bloom.

Harry - What's wrong with your GSG? Conversions kits seems to cost as much (or even more) than some .22lr 1911's (GSG, Chiappa, etc.)

2Alpha - correct on the spring weights. I did a crude measurement and the Wolff was 8.9lbs and the Stock was 11.8lbs. Didn't get an accurate measurement on the mainspring but did measure enough to know that the stock was heavier than the 17lb Woff. I also noticed that the Wolff recoil kit came with a firing pin spring. In comparing to stock, the Wolff was a bit heavier. All the Wolff springs were longer than stock.

Harry - What's wrong with your GSG? Conversions kits seems to cost as much (or even more) than some .22lr 1911's (GSG, Chiappa, etc.)

2Alpha - correct on the spring weights. I did a crude measurement and the Wolff was 8.9lbs and the Stock was 11.8lbs. Didn't get an accurate measurement on the mainspring but did measure enough to know that the stock was heavier than the 17lb Woff. I also noticed that the Wolff recoil kit came with a firing pin spring. In comparing to stock, the Wolff was a bit heavier. All the Wolff springs were longer than stock.

Oh, nothing wrong with the GSG at all, it's just I am thinking about taking the plunge and getting a STI. I was also if I got a 22LR conversion kit for it the better being it would be the same trigger, weight and feel, minus the recoil and might make for a good OBRAMS and Steel 22LR gun. Heck just cheap practice while in a timed atmosphere, but for the cost of the STI kits I could buy a few GSG's so it may be cost prohibitive. Just an idea I am kicking around but probably will never follow through with when it's all said and done.

Shot another 150 rounds. This time I used four Tripp Cobra 10rd mags, the Wolff springs (9lb recoil, 17lb main) and tuned the trigger pull to 3.2lbs. Everything performed perfectly. Tried with the mags loaded with 10, 5, 6 rounds and with/without one in the chamber and it took them all fine. Great gun!

Thanks. I'm really amazed by how light, crisp and short (hardly any pre/over travel) you can make the trigger on a 1911. I thought the trigger on my M&P40 was nice, but this is in a different league.

Added Wilson mag well, Hogue grips, Wilson extended mag release and polished up the thumb/grip safety.

spartanleft.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

spartanright.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hahaha!, I shot this gun last night. Thanks for letting me shoot it man. What a freakin' tack driver!

I thought light 45 loads would be somewhat of a compromise to 9mm. NO WAY. This was just plain

awesome. Excellent gun for steel. Now I really, really, want one!

The M&P was sweet too.