Sign in to follow this  
RecessedFilter

Anyone carry appendix? 1:00/2:00?

So does anyone carry in this position?

I finally got my M&P recently and have ordered my OWB holster, but I am now in this stupid game of figuring out an IWB for it.

I like carrying at 3:00, but concealing is a bit difficult there. I know most people choose 4:00 or 5:00 with an IWB, since it's rather easy to conceal as well as draw from there. I can't say I really like 4:00, but I can't say I hate it either.

But more and more I have seen quite a few people, as well as well-known firearms instructors, using appendix IWB holsters.

I am intrigued by this carry position, and actually feel like I would like it. I like that it is on the front of your person, it seems easier to draw from the front rather than having to reach behind you for a 4:00 position, and usually I have more room in all my pants in the front stomach area than the side...stupid hips.

The one thing I don't like, and it is all mental, is that the barrel is sitting right above the thing that only matters in life!

I started to carry at the 230 position as a alternative for summer carry . My iwb holster is made for.the 430 position but was printing bad, carried it at 0300 and fits awesome, but at 230 it fits great, highly concealable, and most likely how I will carry in the summer

I don't like that CQC because of the location of the retention button, that holster is just asking for negligent discharges.

Glenn, I don't feel the draw would be that awkward. As you come up for the draw, you draw upwards and out. I tried it with no holster and had my pistol just sitting in the waistband of my jeans, it didn't seem too bad.

I don't like that CQC because of the location of the retention button, that holster is just asking for negligent discharges.

Don't knock it before you try it. Just because of 1 idiot who was trying for speed over safety.... I use my SERPA CQC for USPSA and IDPA and have no issues, just like many other people.

• Like 1

A -1 Nick!? C'monnn!

I know holsters don't cause ND's, but the location of that button is right over the trigger. I don't think it's far fetched that a ND situation could arise, that's all I am saying.

It wouldn't work anyway cause I don't like any sort of retention on my holsters.

A -1 Nick!? C'monnn!

I know holsters don't cause ND's, but the location of that button is right over the trigger. I don't think it's far fetched that a ND situation could arise, that's all I am saying.

It wouldn't work anyway cause I don't like any sort of retention on my holsters.

It's been heavily discussed already. A lot of us here use it. Your finger is NOT over the trigger - it's indexed on the frame or on the trigger guard depending on the gun. Natural draw with it is with a straight finger along the holster release button, not curled in to push it. The guy who ND'd into his leg purposely curled his finger in because he tried to pull before hitting the release...

Whatever holster you have practice with it. I have duty, off-duty, shoulder, ankle, and Tac holsters. I try and keep all the retention styles the same. For duty and Tac is use the Safariland Rotating hood designs. For off duty I use Blackhawk CQC and Safariland thumb break leather holsters. Same for my Shoulder and ankle. Practice. I have probably drawn thousands of times from the holster and never even came close to a ND with any of them. However I am aware that any thing can happen. Whenever I holster or un holster I always place the index finger of my strong hand against the holster and draw so it is a natural feel when I draw straight up my index finger goes right against the frame. That is the way that I teach.

I couldnt get comfortable with my gun up front. I like carrying at 4/5. it sits right above my wallet so in the case something does happen, i can draw for my gun or wallet and the perp wont know until its too late. hes expecting my hands to move to that area so if i carried anywhere else, i would alert him to the fact that a wallet isnt going to be in my hand.

I carry in PA at 1-2 o'clock position..

One girls boyfriend commented.. "nice to know in case we fight" and I said.. "yeah but thats only the 1 pistol.."

always an arse in the crowd.. needless to say I haven't seen that couple in 4 years.. and last I talked she dumped him.. lol

Ehh, it would be hard to persuade me to get something like the CQC. I don't want anything with retention anyways, so that holster gets thrown out.

I guess I will go with a typical 4 or 5oclock IWB. It seems to be the favorite so it can't be too bad. Practice, practice, and more practice should make me more comfortable with it.

Now it's figuring out which IWB I want out of the like 8 I am looking at. I can never get a break haha.

Don't knock it before you try it. Just because of 1 idiot who was trying for speed over safety.... I use my SERPA CQC for USPSA and IDPA and have no issues, just like many other people.

He's not the only one to ND with a Serpa. He's just the one that posted it on youtube for everyone to see.

There's a reason why so many prominent instructors have stopped allowing Serpas in their classes... Kyle Defoor is the latest one:

http://www.kyledefoo...my-classes.html ... just sayin.

Anyone, to stay on topic, I like IWB at 1:00-2:00 quite a bit. I find that I can draw from that position as fast, if not faster, that 3:00-5:00. Unfortunately, with my gut, it's a SUPER uncomfortable if I have to sit down, so, it's generally a no go for me.

He's not the only one to ND with a Serpa. He's just the one that posted it on youtube for everyone to see.

There's a reason why so many prominent instructors have stopped allowing Serpas in their classes... Kyle Defoor is the latest one:

http://www.kyledefoo...my-classes.html ... just sayin.

Anyone, to stay on topic, I like IWB at 1:00-2:00 quite a bit. I find that I can draw from that position as fast, if not faster, that 3:00-5:00. Unfortunately, with my gut, it's a SUPER uncomfortable if I have to sit down, so, it's generally a no go for me.

Is it the holster or their inability to teach the right way? I can see blaming a peice of equipment on poor fundamentals, no matter how it is spinned.

Is it the holster or their inability to teach the right way? I can see blaming a peice of equipment on poor fundamentals, no matter how it is spinned.

If you're asking me if I think Kyle Defoor, Larry Vickers, Todd Green, Gabe Suarez, FLECT, (these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others) are unable to correctly teach students how to draw a gun from a holster, then my answer would be no, I don't think that's the problem.

I do agree that the issue is largely with fundamentals... the problem is that if you combine poor fundamentals or even simply a momentary lapse in judgement with a serpa holster, then the chances of something bad happening increase. So, why take the chance when there are plenty of other good retention holsters that don't require the trigger finger to do anything? JMHO

Oh, and if anyone has a light bearing Serpa, they've been recalled:

http://www.blackhawk.com/replacement/

If you're asking me if I think Kyle Defoor, Larry Vickers, Todd Green, Gabe Suarez, FLECT, (these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others) are unable to correctly teach students how to draw a gun from a holster, then my answer would be no, I don't think that's the problem.

I do agree that the issue is largely with fundamentals... the problem is that if you combine poor fundamentals or even simply a momentary lapse in judgement with a serpa holster, then the chances of something bad happening increase. So, why take the chance when there are plenty of other good retention holsters that don't require the trigger finger to do anything? JMHO

Oh, and if anyone has a light bearing Serpa, they've been recalled:

http://www.blackhawk.com/replacement/

Isnt that true of any gun or holster?

Isnt that true of any gun or holster?

To a large degree, yes. But, why exacerbate the inherent dangers of drawing a handgun from a holster by forcing the user to activate a lever that sits millimeters away from the trigger? Particularly when you can attain the same level of retention with a number of other holsters that allow you to use your trigger finger for what it was meant for... pressing the trigger...

Anyway... If it works for you and you're comfortable with it.. cool. Enjoy.

To a large degree, yes. But, why exacerbate the inherent dangers of drawing a handgun from a holster by forcing the user to activate a lever that sits millimeters away from the trigger? Particularly when you can attain the same level of retention with a number of other holsters that allow you to use your trigger finger for what it was meant for... pressing the trigger...

Anyway... If it works for you and you're comfortable with it.. cool. Enjoy.

Sorry, Pete you are incorrect. Train with what you want to use. Just flat out banning a holster because of nontraining shouldn't be a legitimate excuse.

• Like 3

Sorry, Pete you are incorrect. Train with what you want to use. Just flat out banning a holster because of nontraining shouldn't be a legitimate excuse.

I'm incorrect about what? I didn't ban them and I didn't tell anyone to not train with them. You Serpa guys are like a cult :p

Well I tried a Blackhawk Serpa tonight with a Glock 19. For messing around with it for 10mins, drawing/holstering/etc, it wasn't too bad. I could see people having to practice A LOT wit that specific sort of holster, or any holster with some sort of retention action. Of course you should practice frequently with any holster you are using, but I think any retention holsters take more training to master.

I will say if you correctly release the button on the Serpa, when you draw the pistol out of it, your finger will be riding the frame like it should when you draw a pistol. Is it kind of close to the trigger? Yes. Could I see untrained shooters having problems with a holster like this? Yes. Will most shooters that train frequently with the holster have any issues? Most likely not.

RecessedFilter, don't give up on A/IWB 'til you check out the 1) Ramora holster, or 2) ArchAngel holster by Dale Fricke. Any questions, PM me.

Thanks for the suggestion, Brizbane. I am actually on Dale's site right now and I like the looks of the Archangel. But one thing I didn't take into consideration is any sort of belly one might have, and after working in an italian restaurant for a couple years now, that part has been getting slightly bigger on me lol. Standing up it probably won't be a problem, but sitting down definitely.