notmetoo

Mount Olive Police arrest California man found with sawed-off shotgun, handguns and knives in car

I'll bet lunch it wasn't a sawed off shotgun but one w/ a pistol grip. Shame on the arrested for not knowing he was in the PRNJ.

He was released pending a court hearing on all charges, police said.

Oh this guy must have been deemed a real threat... :keeporder:

Read an article on nj.com saying he was charged with possession of a sawed off shotgun. Have to think the pd knows the difference. He also had hollowpoints so tack that on

The thing is, if it was really a sawed off shotgun wouldn't the feds have been brought in? Then unlikely he'd be released. Can't really take for granted that LE firearms ID is correct or the media for that matter.

Hey the courts thought my Garand was a banned M1 Carbine. But they brought in a firearms expert detective. Know what his credentials were? He read four gun mags a month.

If one thing I'm saying is exagerated or untrue I should drop dead and burn in hell.

I was unaware sawed off shorties are a federal crime. That's a rough story dude. I definitely don't trust the media but le should know what they are charging.

Hey any shotgun shorter than 26" or having a barrel shorter than 18" is "Any Other Weapon" and requires a tax stamp. Federal Tax Stamp! Oh, and not in NJ.

Guys chime in and tell me if I'm mistaken....

The thing is, if it was really a sawed off shotgun wouldn't the feds have been brought in? Then unlikely he'd be released. Can't really take for granted that LE firearms ID is correct or the media for that matter.

Hey the courts thought my Garand was a banned M1 Carbine. But they brought in a firearms expert detective. Know what his credentials were? He read four gun mags a month.

If one thing I'm saying is exagerated or untrue I should drop dead and burn in hell.

If he is released and the Feds want him they will just issue an arrest warrant and have the marshals or town detectives

Pick him up. That's what happened in one of my gun arrests

If he is released and the Feds want him they will just issue an arrest warrant and have the marshals or town detectives

Pick him up. That's what happened in one of my gun arrests

So what you are saying is the local PD can recognize a violation of federal law and cut this guy loose and then notify the feds who will look for him and pick him up at a leter date?

That's messed up...

Hey any shotgun shorter than 26" or having a barrel shorter than 18" is "Any Other Weapon" and requires a tax stamp. Federal Tax Stamp! Oh, and not in NJ.

Guys chime in and tell me if I'm mistaken....

Yup, seems so. Could have had a piece that is technically not a shotgun at all. :huh:

"Sawed-off shotgun" means any shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle, or a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle, or any firearm made from a rifle or a shotgun, whether by alteration, or otherwise, if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

For all those illegal possession charges I can't believe he was released pending a court hearing. His crim history must have been clean. Even that still is a surprise

This is NJ. They would probably be more likely to release him if he had a long list of criminal history rather than a clean record!

Not really. Its a matter of whether feds want to make a case of it or not. Some times local charges are enough. Some times the charges are redundant

So what you're sayin' is the feds will settle for some BS state charges and not enforce NFA laws? Just don't seem right....

As I understand it, a sawed off shotgun is an NFA item. In some states they are legal if you go through the NFA 'process' which seems to be about 6 months for the paperwork to get done these days and, of course the $200 for the stamp. Generally a violation of the NFA is a 10 year jail sentence and a heavy fine..in some cases up to $250,000.

NFA meaning the National Firearms Act of 1934 which made registration mandatory for machine guns, short barrel rifles and shot guns, silencers and AOW (Any Other Weapon) like the cane gun and pen gun and the Ithaca "Auto Burglar" . In 1968 GCA any gun over .50 cal was designated a DD (Destructive Device), black powder was exempted outright , shotguns because they have a 'sporting purpose' were allowed to remain a Title I item.

This story is amazing for it's lack of details.

To this "reporter", a sawed off shotgun could mean anything from a "real" sawed off to a 26 inch barrel shortened to 24".

After all:

"man was arrested after a cache of weapons, including a sawed-off shotgun, two handguns, two knives"

From the way the story reads, it seems to me the California guy made a half assed attempt to comply with transportation laws, but failed miserably.

"Two illegal knives — a Stiletto switch blade and a spring loaded gravity knife — were found in the glove box, police said."

"Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

They are absolutely legal. A while back US Customs tried to label them autos but were shot down. I sell assisteds of every make and model and carry one every day. The above post about NYC however is correct. DON'T bring an assisted or anything over 3" into the city. they even consider Husky folding replaceable blade box cutters "switchblades" thanks to the DA Cyrus Vance."

I thought assisted knives were legal?

I don't believe much of the article or police statement if that is what the article was based on. A 45 in plain view? Pulled over for leaving his lane? C'mon. I'm not buying it.

This harkens back to the old days when the NJSP pulled cars over weekly on the Turnpike for a busted light only to find 87 lbs of marijuana in the trunk.

Not for nothing but isn't California even tougher on guns than us?

I thought so as well with the low-cap mags and bullet buttons and the "approved list" but nope. Moved from Jersey to Cali and now headed back to Jersey. Jersey is way worse even if at first glance it may not seem so. Fewer hoops to jump through when buying, less hassle when transporting, no hollow point stigma. Cali is a bad dream but Jersey is a nightmare.

I don't believe much of the article or police statement if that is what the article was based on. A 45 in plain view? Pulled over for leaving his lane? C'mon. I'm not buying it.

This harkens back to the old days when the NJSP pulled cars over weekly on the Turnpike for a busted light only to find 87 lbs of marijuana in the trunk.

I can't tell you how many times minor infractions lead to larger outcomes. It's not the police making up stories to justify their arrests.