Steve_G

Finalists in my 1911 search

I'm in the market right now for a 1911, having a hard time deciding which. I have 2 routes i can take, purchase a competition hand fitted 1911, or buy a production model, and have work done to it down the line.

With that said, the TRP sounds like a good deal, i can shoot the crap out of it, send it to Springfield when the time comes and have the fitting work done by them, or find a good smith to do the work. Is the TRP worth buying if i'm going to modify it? or should i buy something cheaper to modify? I like the colt's, Springfield's and S&W's 1911's so i have a great pallet to go by, i just dont want to pay more for the same end product.

For a custom gun, who might you be looking at??

I've been looking around and have found les baer, Dan Wesson, Trinity, Springfield... the custom market is harder to pick and choose from. I'd be willing to drop 3k on one. I'm in love with the les baer cqc, but to me its not a 3k gun. I'm open to all suggestions. I had initially wanted to buy a colt 100 year and have it fitted, but prices sky rocketed the second they became unavailable.

My SA was a Loaded Operator in 9mm. It would not feed 115 grain ammo for anything. Even 124 grain was hit or miss. All it liked was 147grain round nose. Too finicky for me.

I have always found a 1911 in 9mm to be very ammo picky , once i find a good gr weight they would run fine...i mainly stick to ones chambered in .45 ACP. Thats what the 1911 was designed to run on.

I've been looking around and have found les baer, Dan Wesson, Trinity, Springfield... the custom market is harder to pick and choose from. I'd be willing to drop 3k on one. I'm in love with the les baer cqc, but to me its not a 3k gun. I'm open to all suggestions. I had initially wanted to buy a colt 100 year and have it fitted, but prices sky rocketed the second they became unavailable.

I was tossing the coin trying to decide between a Dawson Precision STI Edge and Brazos one and decided on the Brazos. Will be my Limited and L/10 gun as well as probably my steel gun, at least for Knockdown but may also use it for Static. I figure the more shooting I do with the same gun the better I will get at shooting and knowing the gun.

I'm not going for the full custom but it will be worked before I get her.

I have always found a 1911 in 9mm to be very ammo picky , once i find a good gr weight they would run fine...i mainly stick to ones chambered in .45 ACP. Thats what the 1911 was designed to run on.

My Kimber runs like a top on everything other than WWB.

Hey MB4Gringo, beautiful firearm. You're gonna love it.

C

Nice to know there are other smart gentlemen on here that bought the finest Springfield Armory pistol on the planet.

I think this is where someone is supposed to say: "Buying the finest SA pistol is like winning the Special Olympics, it's STILL made by SA." :p

• Like 2

What a disappointment. Drove up to Hackettstown Guns and Ammo this morning to put a deposit on the TRP. I guess there was a little miscommunication, he had the operator, railed model in stock. So, I'm back to searching for the non-railed one that I prefer.

Was it a Black TRP with the rail? How much was he asking?

Thanks!

What a disappointment. Drove up to Hackettstown Guns and Ammo this morning to put a deposit on the TRP. I guess there was a little miscommunication, he had the operator, railed model in stock. So, I'm back to searching for the non-railed one that I prefer.

If you buy it, tell Walt he owes me a finder's fee.

Got it! Thanks very much!! Good luck in your search! Check with Paul at AA, he has a great selection and his prices are the best around!

Thanks, I checked with all of our vendors here. Walt was the only one who had anything in stock, and one place that sent me a price (full msrp) can keep it whether the have one or not.

Just to let you know, Hackettstown is close Sunday and Monday. Try sending him an email, he'll probably get back to you in a few hours.