Rifleman1

Do I need a Rangefinder?

Bushnell has integrated a rengefinder with their binoculars and I'd bet there are rifle scopes out there that do also. They'd be expensive too.

My question is... is a rangefinder mandatory when shooting long distances in order to set up your scope for that distance?

If so, what do forum members use for rangefinding?

Sportsman's Guide has the Remington Edge 500 T3 on sale for $143.97

I don't have one but have always wanted to get one. I guess for most of our shooting we are at fixed ranges for the most part and probably not absolutely required, but still something nice to have.

I would say if you want one get it, but as far as need, I would wait for our log range rifle guys to chime in.

If you know your distance you dont need a range finder. Just use your dope. I keep a ballistic table for my loads in a pouch on my rifle with adjustments in MOA. So if its 16MOA adjustment to go from 100 yards to XXX yards, then its 16MOA of clicks, in my case, 64 clicks.

Shooting on a marked range at known distances? Don't need it.

Shooting with a ranging reticle at something you have a reasonable idea of how big it is? Don't need it.

Shooting without a ranging reticle at something you have a reasonable idea of how big it is? Can get around it with some know how, but the laser rangefinder is probably of benefit in general.

Shooting without a ranging reticle at something you don't know the size of? Yeah, it's useful.

The cheaper the rnage finder, the less accurate is likely to be and the less well it holds up against the alternatives.

Only if you are shooting longer ranges at unknown distances. Groundhog hunting could make good use of a rangefinder.

+1 Bob! I use a range finder chuck hunting because after all these years I still suk at judging distance accurately. Additionally I use the same range finder for bow hunting, Now let's talk about trajectory...

A scope and a rangefinder are two seperate items and combining the two has for the most part resulted in reduced performance from each. Rangefinders vary a great deal in price and value. Generally speaking if you want a truly solid, fieldable tactical type, the minimum starting point is generally a Swarovski, and they go up price and quality wise from there. Lower end units will generally, in practical terms, have about half the usable range they advertise, if that. The optics lack, the units not hardened and durable, and the lasers themselves tend to have too wide a beam at distance resulting in false and misleading readings when the wide beam catches something between you and your intended target.

Being able to accurately mil your target with your scope reticle is a very worthwhile skill, but it can be difficult at times due to conditions or fleeting/moving targets to get a solid read, particularly as your window of time shrinks. That's where the rangefinder comes into it's own. It's also a bonus at ranges beyond intermediate.

Nick, knowing the amount of dedication specopsscout has behind long range shooting, I hold his opinion on the topic in high regard. In addition I agree with him. Heres why. Take 10 good shooters that are good with ranging. Take 5 and give them leica's and take 5 and make them do manual ranging. UKD out to 1200 and I bet the 5 with the electronics will outperform the ones without. It becomes a matter of consistancy and accuracy in bisecting mills. Ranging is difficult! Now let me make sure you understand that I am NOT saying replace the manual skillset with electrinics, I am not. I am saying that the rangefinder can bring a better level of accurate range estimation over manually doing it for a good rifleman. Take a great rifleman and the results may vary. But a great rifleman skilled with the use of his electrnic rangefinder will be MUCH faster on target than himself without. Keep in mind that since we are talking about military snipers, they arent carrying around a bushnell rangefinder, they are carrying ones approaching the price of your car!

Shane, thanks for the kudos, Brother, but I'm a student just like everyone else. I hold your opinion in just as high a regard and rarely disagree(never signifiantly) in anything I've seen you post. I've hand a little more training then some and much less then others, but I've been an active student of precision riflery for a very long time. I'm a lot of things, but mall ninja and naive...not so much ;)

Well I think we are all in agreement. :) Now if SJSC would push their range out to 1k like they say they are going to, we would have somewhere in reasonable distance to go practice!!!!!! I consider myself the forever student. Unfortunatly do to the rather short nature of NJ ranges, precision rifle is the one I get to practice the least. :(

No.......... Just my opinion........ Accurately judging range without the aid of electronics is a key to being a rifleman. Again just my .02. We RELY WAY to heavily on electronics these days........ """ Seven Basic Sniper Skills
  • Each Royal Marine sniper must master the seven basic sniper skills: knowledge, navigation, concealment, observation, stalking, judging distance and shooting. A written test on sniper knowledge requires trainees to calculate wind and range solutions. Navigation standards are passed by trainees making a map from an aerial photograph and then being dropped off in the area to find their way out. Concealment is tested by remaining undetected while shooting a blank at two instructors from 150 to 300 meters away. Observation skills are tested by spotting 10 military objects with a scope and then sketching them with accurate distances and positions. The stalking standard consists of approaching from two kilometers away and getting within at least 150 to 300 meters before firing two blank shots at observers without being spotted. The trainees must then be able to judge the distance of eight out of 10 objects to within 15 percent accuracy with eyes only. Finally, the trainees must achieve first-shot kills on targets during both day and night shoots at long and short distances using several different shooting positions.

"""

"""

Thanks for that link. As with anything I prefer to know how to do it with and without electronics. You never know when the electronics will fail you. I have some reading to do.