deadeye74

National Right to Carry Introduced into Senate Today

“National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012”

introduced in U.S. Senate

Today, March 13, U.S. Senators Mark Begich (D-Alaska) and Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia) introduced S. 2188, the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012.”  The bill is the Senate companion to H. R. 822, which was approved by the U. S. House last November by a vote of 272-154.

S. 2188, like H.R. 822, would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed handgun in any other state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. A state's laws governing where concealed handguns may be carried would apply within its borders.

Today 49 states either issue carry permits or otherwise authorize law-abiding people to carry firearms outside the home for self-defense. 41 states have fair “shall issue” permit systems that allow any law-abiding person to get a permit.

In contrast to dire predictions from anti-gun groups, Right-to-Carry laws have been enormously successful.  Interstate reciprocity will serve as a fundamental protection of the right to self-defense by providing people with the ability to protect themselves not only in their home states, but anywhere they travel where carry concealed carry is legal.

Contrary to the false claims of some, these bills would not create federal gun registration or gun owner licensing, nor would they allow any federal agency to establish a federal standard for a carry permit or impose gun control restrictions of any kind.

These bills would have no effect on permitless carry laws, currently on the books in Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont, that allow concealed carry without a permit. In addition, Vermont residents would be able to take advantage of S. 2188 and H.R. 822 by obtaining a permit from one of the many states that offer non-resident permits.

Please contact your U.S. Senators today and urge them to cosponsor S. 2188.  You can call your U.S. Senators at 202-224-3121 or send them an email by clicking here

“National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012”

introduced in U.S. Senate

Today, March 13, U.S. Senators Mark Begich (D-Alaska) and Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia) introduced S. 2188, the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012.” The bill is the Senate companion to H. R. 822, which was approved by the U. S. House last November by a vote of 272-154.

S. 2188, like H.R. 822, would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed handgun in any other state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. A state's laws governing where concealed handguns may be carried would apply within its borders.

Today 49 states either issue carry permits or otherwise authorize law-abiding people to carry firearms outside the home for self-defense. 41 states have fair “shall issue” permit systems that allow any law-abiding person to get a permit.

In contrast to dire predictions from anti-gun groups, Right-to-Carry laws have been enormously successful. Interstate reciprocity will serve as a fundamental protection of the right to self-defense by providing people with the ability to protect themselves not only in their home states, but anywhere they travel where carry concealed carry is legal.

Contrary to the false claims of some, these bills would not create federal gun registration or gun owner licensing, nor would they allow any federal agency to establish a federal standard for a carry permit or impose gun control restrictions of any kind.

These bills would have no effect on permitless carry laws, currently on the books in Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont, that allow concealed carry without a permit. In addition, Vermont residents would be able to take advantage of S. 2188 and H.R. 822 by obtaining a permit from one of the many states that offer non-resident permits.

Please contact your U.S. Senators today and urge them to cosponsor S. 2188. You can call your U.S. Senators at 202-224-3121 or send them an email by clicking here

Fixed the link

Neither the weak bill by the donkeys or the better bill by the Republicans address states like NJ that are "won't issue" states. It's some irony that if my friends from Ohio visit, they can carry here on a Florida permit but I can't carry on the same permit.

If it passes, it will likely either force NJ to issue permits or we will go the way of IL and become NO issue. I would not be surprised if it were the latter. The likelihood of it passing though are probably slim considering Obama won't sign it and I don't know if there's enough backing to get 2/3 in Congress, though it was close in the House already.

Neither the weak bill by the donkeys or the better bill by the Republicans address states like NJ that are "won't issue" states. It's some irony that if my friends from Ohio visit, they can carry here on a Florida permit but I can't carry on the same permit.

Why would they be able to carry on a non-resident permit but not us? Does it only apply while you are out of your home state?

Why would they be able to carry on a non-resident permit but not us? Does it only apply while you are out of your home state?

To be valid you need to have a carry license in your state of residency. So while I may have a Utah CCL, it would not count towards this bill because I do not have a NJ carry license...

To be valid you need to have a carry license in your state of residency. So while I may have a Utah CCL, it would not count towards this bill because I do not have a NJ carry license...

I'll have to reread it but I thought 2188 eliminated that need, I thought that was just for HR822..

I'm going to be really pissed when residents of other states can carry here and we can't. I smell lawsuit on that one.

In a way NJ screwed itself accidently by allowing carry with a permit. Yes they only give the permits to a small amount of people, but if we were a no-carry state this new law wouldn't apply here.

NJ would have to reverse itself to a no-carry state to get around this. Say buh bye to all the BS permits given to the priveledged. I'm sure they would carve out an exemption for retired and off duty leo though, probably security companies too.

I believe that we won't ever be allowed to carry here, and if we do they will handcuff us with so many confusing laws that trick you that it might not be worth it. I'm sure that would be just up their alley

NJ would have to reverse itself to a no-carry state to get around this. Say buh bye to all the BS permits given to the priveledged. I'm sure they would carve out an exemption for retired and off duty leo though, probably security companies too.

I thought LEOSA covered carry by LEOs? Also, if permits are given for security companies, doesn't that constitute a permit system?

I thought LEOSA covered carry by LEOs? Also, if permits are given for security companies, doesn't that constituate a permit system?

You've seen the BS Chicago and DC have pulled on simple ownership of handguns.

NJ can ban carry permits entirely and legislatively carve out permission for the people they want. LEO can already carry in NJ without any permit and without the assistance of LEOSA. Believe it or not, cops carry guns in Il as well.

Say if NJ went to a no carry permit, how would it work? We need to look to Illinois and see how it is done there. As I understand it, while there is no carry permit for armed guards there. There is a "PERC", "FAC", along with the the FOID card for armed guards. Its like a certification and the guards are restricted to on the job carry. If you are on call 24/7, you may carry 24/7 . The "Firearms Authorization Card" is required from your employer. The PERC is a certification for an armed guard.

http://www.chicagola...-class-faq.html

http://www.thehighro.../t-290525.html\

http://www.ilga.gov/...400F05300R.html

I believe all LEO's, judges, city alderman and possibly other officials are exempt from the Illinois no carry rule.

Here are the Illinois laws if anyone is interested for comparison to New Jersey's laws.

http://www.isp.state...docs/ptfire.pdf

The Illinois FOID (Firearm Owners ID) card became law in 1968.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

I'll have to reread it but I thought 2188 eliminated that need, I thought that was just for HR822..

Neither 822 nor 2188 "require" you to have a home state permit. You would only need a home state permit to carry IN your home state. A NJ resident with a AZ/FL/UT permit but no NJ permit would still be able to carry in the other states..except IL, DC and NJ

By having non-residents carrying in NJ while residents cannot, puts pressure on NJ and make us look ridiculous. The bill still helps us.

or hurts us

They may go the Illinois route and just vote for "no carry"

• Like 1

The fact that under this bill I will be able to carry in NYC with my Florida CCW but not in my home state of NJ is beyond ridiculous. A federal CCW permit valid in 50 states, with a background check and training requirement, would have made a lot more sense and been much simpler and could have left all the current state laws in place as well. Oh well. If it passes this bill will be better than nothing and will certainly bring pressure on NJ. Between the Md District court ruling in the Woollard decision, vastly increased grass roots activisim in this state, and national reciprocity, I really don't think all the pessimism is warranted.

I had a conversation with a friend who ran for office here and is connected with the Democratic party. His view was that a change to NJ CCW law is inevtiable.