mx597turbo

Hi all. New to firearms in general.

Hi everybody. I'm getting into firearms as my brother-in-law is a CO and always invites me to go shooting with him. I'm currently working on getting my FID and handgun permits.

Right now, the only gun I know I'm getting for sure is a Glock 21. This will be my main range weapon. I was initially considering a 17, but the price difference between 9 and 45 ammo is very small, and everyone I talked to recommends 45.

I'm also looking for a rifle, and would appreciate suggestions here: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/33941-i-need-some-suggestions-for-a-nj-legal-semi-auto-rifle/

Right now, the only gun I know I'm getting for sure is a Glock 21. This will be my main range weapon. I was initially considering a 17, but the price difference between 9 and 45 ammo is very small, and everyone I talked to recommends 45

Welcome to the forum. While I won't fault you on your choice of guns (it is purely subjective), I will tell you that if you intend to do much shooting, the difference in cost between 9 mm and .45 ACP will become readily apparent. Just ordered a thousand rounds of each and the .45 ACP ran 50% more than the 9 mm ($214 vs $320). The cost of ammo, for those that don't reload, is one of the most compelling reasons to choose 9 mm over the .45 ACP. Go 9 - your wallet will thank you.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Edit: Bob beat me to the punch as usual. I disagree about price difference between 9mm and 45ACP. 9mm is about $11 per box for practice ammo. 45ACP is at least $5-$6 more than that. You can practice a good deal more for the same money with 9mm. If you were to reload, then the difference does become less.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

3rd on the ammo $$ thing. I have a .45 ..hubby has a 9mm and a .40 cal ..guess who never hears the end about their ammo costing double ? lol Well , he is right. I picked up the .45 because it was an estate and it was a really nice 1911 ..more something you would take out once in a while. It is also good for HD ..but as far as throwing 200 rounds a week down the range practicing? Eh , it costs much more and I don't really want a lot of wear and tear on that particular piece anyway .

Enjoy and welcome ! Make sure to post pics when you get your new gun , otherwise the guys here will eat you alive :)

3rd on the ammo $$ thing. I have a .45 ..hubby has a 9mm and a .40 cal ..guess who never hears the end about their ammo costing double ? lol Well , he is right. I picked up the .45 because it was an estate and it was a really nice 1911 ..more something you would take out once in a while. It is also good for HD ..but as far as throwing 200 rounds a week down the range practicing? Eh , it costs much more and I don't really want a lot of wear and tear on that particular piece anyway .

Enjoy and welcome ! Make sure to post pics when you get your new gun , otherwise the guys here will eat you alive :)

Whoops! ^ that was me..posted as my husband again. Sorry!

Welome man!, Glad you like glocks. They're great guns and if only they didn't feel terrible in my hands I would love to own several.

Whoops! ^ that was me..posted as my husband again. Sorry!

Is it funny that I find it funny that you have over 3x more posts then he does? haha

Welome man!, Glad you like glocks. They're great guns and if only they didn't feel terrible in my hands I would love to own several.

Is it funny that I find it funny that you have over 3x more posts then he does? haha

He is very need to know cut and dry when it comes to online communication. Not a social network person at all. He is much more fun in person , get him in a pub and he's a rip :)

Welcome.

Good choice. Can't go wrong with a Glock. I have several and they are my favorite plastic pistol. The .45 Glock 21 is also a great choice, I own one. Only advice I give is get the Gen4 Glock 21. I sold my Gen3 G21Sf for the Gen4 G21 and couldn't be happier.

Another on the ammo thing, .45 is generally about 25-30$ per box as to where I've seen 9mm go for 11 lol. Unless you're going to buy online, ammo prices are way higher for .45. But I love my .45 so I don't really have a problem spending money on good ammo for it.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice. I've decided on 3 firearms:

Glock 21 Gen 4. I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ for the .45 ammo. HD is worth it.

Saiga 7.62. This is the best SA rifle I can have for the money in NJ. I realized I'll probably wind up shooting this way more than the Glock. Rifle target practice just seems more fun.

Maverick 88. I never even considered a shotgun. A couple vids on youtube changed my mind in a big way. You get mossberg quality for less than half the price.