Sign in to follow this  
Cam'mown

Barska Biometric Safe

I have one. It's not that large - It'll fit a few handguns and some ammo but that's it. It also beeps and I'm not sure if it's possible to turn that off.

It should be bolted down as well, otherwise you can pick it up and run with it.

I found this review krdshrk about turning off the sound:

For all the complaints I read about the beeping sound (lack of stealth), I wanted to point out that you can turn the sound OFF. Here's what the instructions say:

To Turn On Beep Sound

With the door open press & hold initialization button until 2 lights

flash followed by 1 long beep, release initialization button.

To Turn Off Beep Sound

flash and release initialization button.

Hope that helps

I found this review krdshrk about turning off the sound:

For all the complaints I read about the beeping sound (lack of stealth), I wanted to point out that you can turn the sound OFF. Here's what the instructions say:

To Turn On Beep Sound

flash followed by 1 long beep, release initialization button.

To Turn Off Beep Sound

flash and release initialization button.

Hope that helps

Much appreciated - I'll try it tonight!

I have a mid size Barska. That's great to hear about the beeps! It has a shelf and is good for 2-3 handguns not in their cases and a few hundred rounds of ammo. I only bothered programming one thumbprint in and it's worked every time but one when I didn't have my finger lined up. It's good for the purpose of keeping kids or quick thieves away but is not likely to stand up to a crow bar or sledge.

I got this one off of amazon last year. It's great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AQ0PFW/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details

Just program a bunch of different fingers from you and your wife. Bolt it to a stud or floor and you're good to go.

That's the one I'm looking at. I am getting my first 2 permits tomorrow and my wife will add a pistol once her permit comes in.

Can it handle 3 pistols and some ammo?

That's the one I'm looking at. I am getting my first 2 permits tomorrow and my wife will add a pistol once her permit comes in.

Can it handle 3 pistols and some ammo?

It should. I've had my 1911, sig 2022, walther p22 and Ruger MKIII hunter stuffed in there. Not with the hard cases that usually come with a new pistol, but with those cheap midway usa soft cases. No problem...

Very timely thread (not the first time a forum member has been inside my head) as I was researching biometric safes this week. I was considering the gunvault version that my friend has but there are do many negative reviews online about failure to close and failure to open. The reviews for this one seem much more comforting. Price is good as well. Definitely a contender.

I have one of the larger ones with two shelves -model number AX11650 for $279 including shipping from NewEgg (actually sold by Barska through the NewEgg website.

I went for this specific model as I had specific dimensions it needed to fit within and it also holds many more fingerprints for the Biometric scanner. I think it holds 120 different prints.

Size wise it works out well for holding multiple firearms, ammunition, flashlight etc.

It does beep, however I'll try the instructions in an earlier post to see if that stops the beeping.

Overall am pleased with the purchase.

TheWombat

Sweet! Picking up my permits tomorrow so I just pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on:

Barska AX11224 Biometric Safe

Uplula Mag loader

Baby Upula mag loader

Otis deluxe gun cleaning kit

Straycat Shooting Glasses

Allen Rangemaster Bag

9mm A-Zoom Snap Caps

.22lr A-Zoom Snap Caps

Total with tax & shipping = $366

Sweet! Picking up my permits tomorrow so I just pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on:

Barska AX11224 Biometric Safe

Uplula Mag loader

Baby Upula mag loader

Otis deluxe gun cleaning kit

Straycat Shooting Glasses

Allen Rangemaster Bag

9mm A-Zoom Snap Caps

.22lr A-Zoom Snap Caps

Total with tax & shipping = $366

you might not need the baby uplula mag loader for the hypothetical SR22. The magazines have a thumb follower on the side which make it very easy/quickly/painlessly to load the 22lr by pressing down on the follower.

you might not need the baby uplula mag loader for the hypothetical SR22. The magazines have a thumb follower on the side which make it very easy/quickly/painlessly to load the 22lr by pressing down on the follower.

I actually went with an M&P 22.. Had to shave it down a bit to fit the SaW mags. Mags aren't that stiff but man does that thing make it easy

Curious.. has anyone tried running their fingers through it with dirty hands? What happens if you literally have blood on your hands, a lot of sweat? Will it register and open? I wouldn't want to take that chance..

Curious.. has anyone tried running their fingers through it with dirty hands? What happens if you literally have blood on your hands, a lot of sweat? Will it register and open? I wouldn't want to take that chance..

Some things I've found from my Barska.

After scanning your finger to open the safe it is best to slide your finger downwards as you remove it from the scanner. This will smudge any residue finger prints. I have actually had the safe unlock twice without placing my finger on the scanner (but pressing the button) based on a 'residue fingerprint'. Very odd, it rarely happens and may be dependent upon how naturally greasy your fingers are.

I've fitted grip tape to my Walther PPS on Saturday, and in so doing scratched up the skin on about 6 of my finger tips as I was rubbing the sand paper surface of the grip tape to get it to adhere to the PPS properly. I then went to open the safe and the 6 fingers did not successfully open the safe. Even today (Monday) those fingers are still not opening the safe due to 'scratching damage' to my finger tips.

I'm not going to try it with blood, however I believe it would interfere to some degree, this is one of the reasons I went for a Biometric safe that can store > 20 prints. I have scanned all my fingers and toes just in case.

TheWombat

Hate to dig up an old thread but barska compact safe for $143.99 + free shipping with code "stowid20"

http://www.zoostores...-safe-safe.html

Features

• 2 solid steel locking bolts
  • Operates on 4-AA batteries
  • CA DOJ Approved
  • Includes protective floor mat ensuring that items are not scratched, set of emergency back-up keys and mounting hardware

Included Safe Brand Barska Mounting Location Freestanding Your Valuables Money/Valuables Lock Type Fingerprint Scan Browse Depth 12-18" Safe Type Gun Safe, Home Safe

In addition to scanning multiple fingers, you should also scan your primary fingers multiple times each so the reader can allow for variability in your finger pressure.

I scanned both my index fingers 5-6 times each... rolled slightly to the left, slightly right, forward, backward, pressing very hard, pressing very light, smushing it up against the reader to get as much skin as possible in contact, etc. If I ever need to open it in a panic, there's a much lower likelihood of FTO (failure to open lol) because I'm pressing my finger differently than I normally do when calm.

Barska safes are nice. I've had mine for over a year to secure (I have kids in the house) my "go to" pistol in the bedroom. What I like is that I have it secured out of sight and I can acquire my pistol in complete darkness without having to look at it.