johnp

My friend wants to buy a revolver

I finally convinced my friend to put the paperwork in for his FID and some permits. And he told me he wants a revolver for his first gun. I'm not a revolver guy, so I have no advice to offer him. He doesn't really know what he wants, I've suggested we go to gun shop and he gets a feel for the different types out there.

From what I've gathered he's looking to spend less then $500, and from a few links he sent me he seems to like the short barreled(snub nose type?)

I figured I would ask if any of you guys had any suggestions. :)

S&W 686 .357/.38

Ruger GP100 .357/.38

Both revolvers are able to handle .357 Magnum or .38 Specials for less recoil or .38 wadcutters for plinking.. .. and he can select from different barrel lengths, whichever he prefers...

i'm personally looking for both of them in 4" or 6" ..

IMO the snub is a poor first choice, the .22 a good first choice. Snubbies are kool looking but not a practical range gun unless just blasting away and may lead to disappointment as far as accuracy. OK for carry tho not likely or maybe a bedside gun but not in .22 Get a decent(used/) 4-6" 22 and he'll have that one a long time and still have some $ left over towards a bigger gun later

$500 or less. I suggest getting two revolvers...first get a .22 LR with 6" barrel. They cost much less to shoot, usually are less expensive to buy. Then for the other revolver, get a .357/.38 with a 4" barrel unless you are going to conceal carry somewhere and then get snub nose.

IMHO, a .38 with a 4" barrel is probably the best gun to get if you don't plan on shooting much. You can use it for target shooting and practice and still use it for home defense if you ever had to.

If he absolutely wants a snub nose, I would suggest that he look at one of the Charter Snubbies that is DAO - you can't screw that up and they are cheap.

If he wants a 4" model (which I would suggest), get a Taurus Model 82.

Now I know I'm violating one of the holy grails here: you always suggest the SP101, but NIB they are too expensive. If your friend is just going to shoot once while, or throw it in a dresser and hopefully never shoot it at all, a Charter or Taurus will work just fine.

Best of luck.

How much trigger time has he had? I assume you convinced him by letting him shoot a lot of your handguns. How often will he go to the range after getting his new gun?

If he's a fairly new shooter, then .22LR long barreled would be best. If he's more experienced, then step up to a .357/.38 long-barreled, but if he intends to shoot a lot, ammo cost is going to to be somewhat prohibitive. Though I love my semi's, I do regret not starting out with a revolver as my first handgun, but I reload for all my calibers so ammo costs aren't so bad.

Check GunBroker, and this and other forums for good deals; would advise against buying new.

He has put hundreds of rounds through my firearms. 9mm, 5.56. He is not so much a firearms noivce, just a new gun owner. Well I agree that a .22 is a good gun to learn the fundamentals and won't hurt your wallet plinking. I'll run the idea of a .22 by him see what he thinks. I honestly don't see him going to the range by himself. It took me 4 years to convince him just to get his FID.

I think the reason he wants a revolver is because he comes from a long line of cops, and I'm pretty sure every leo family member was big into revolvers.

Sooner or later he will want the option of shooting 357 through his revolver. I would suggest a S&W Model 19. IMO, it is one of the finest revolvers ever made.

this, or even a ruger or taurus much more affordable and made very well, go 38/357 you will be glad you did.

A 4" S&W, Ruger, or Taurus 357 is about the best do it all handgun. Learn to use a DA revolver and everything else is easy.

Avoid snub guns or any small gun for a first handgun. You would only complicate the learning curve.

S&W 686 .357/.38

Ruger GP100 .357/.38

Both revolvers are able to handle .357 Magnum or .38 Specials for less recoil or .38 wadcutters for plinking.. .. and he can select from different barrel lengths, whichever he prefers...

i'm personally looking for both of them in 4" or 6" ..

This in a 4" barrel is a great revolver or the S&W 19 as suggested. I would skip the .22. He will get bored with it and want a .38/357Mag.