Mikeythumbs

New Purchase

Hey got my first permit used tiday bought a springfield 1911 A-1 rang officer Model. Ran 50 rounds through it at SS (also where it was purchased). I like it. It also came with a holster 2 Mags and a magzine puch so all set for some idpa or steel matches. I will post pics as soon as I can

Mikeythumbs

LOVE mine. I never shot .45 when i picked up my range officer, and damn am i addicted now. I just cant afford to shoot it as much as i would like. I love how it ejects the brass strait over your head. normally i'm looking down to pick up the brass, but the casings were a couple feet behind me. My friend was standing back there trying to catch them for me. haha. Just so you know, if you ever want to change out the rear sight, you need to use a LPA cut sight.

Congratulations on the new gun, pic's as requested already. Also if you plan on shooting steel and other action matches, get at least another 3 mags at a minimum.

So 3 mags are not enough wowo didnt relize that a stage could use that many so do i need a mag pouch that holds 4 or 5 mags

So 3 mags are not enough wowo didnt relize that a stage could use that many so do i need a mag pouch that holds 4 or 5 mags

Don't know about IDPA, but in USPSA, you would be best to run 4 or 5 mags, for Static Steel, it's 5 strings of 5 targets so while you can get away with using a 15 rounds mag for 2 strings, why limit or chance it if you don't have to. Now knockdown, different story, you can only have 10 rounds per mag and some stages have over 30 targets so either don't miss or have plenty of loaded mags.

Beautiful gun, congrats! How much did that set you back for the whole thing?

I recently purchased my first hadgun a while back (a new G19 Gen4) and have had my eye on 1911's for a while, however, needed to save up for the 1911 and went for the glock first b/c it was only $600.

I really like the Springfield and have also looked at Kimer, S&W ones - does anyone have a suggestion on a quality, reliable 1911 that's below $900.

Three mags are fine for IDPA. You are only allowed two on your belt and the one in the gun. However - you will find that most people that shoot CDP division (which is for .45 ACP 1911's) will use 8-round mags. Not a biggie, just means you will reload at a different point. Maximum round count for any course of fire is 18, so you are GTG.

Having one more mag makes it easier to load your gun to full capacity (1 in the chamber + a full mag). We call that a "Barney" mag. Insert in gun, rack a round into the chamber. Engage the safety, remove and pocket the barney mag and insert a full mag. Easier than having a loose round in your pocket and topping off your mag after chambering a round - but that works fine.

The Somerset IDPA match on 5/20 still has available slots (limited to 30 shooters), you can register here...

http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches/

This is a very newbie-friendly match.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Beautiful gun, congrats! How much did that set you back for the whole thing?

I recently purchased my first hadgun a while back (a new G19 Gen4) and have had my eye on 1911's for a while, however, needed to save up for the 1911 and went for the glock first b/c it was only $600.

I really like the Springfield and have also looked at Kimer, S&W ones - does anyone have a suggestion on a quality, reliable 1911 that's below $900.

It was 899 on the nose with an extra mag i purchased. The mag was 28. The sticker on the gun was 825

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Need to get to the range next week and put some seriours rounds through it and shake it out.

Any idea if SS has another in stock? NJGF price request for this turned up zilch for me.

I dont think they had another one but when I was there yesterday they were putting in an order to springfield i think for XDm's so you cna give them a call and see if they have one or are going to get one in soon.