Sign in to follow this  
Celraysoda

Mystery dark brown droplets in house?

So I have been living in my new house for slightly over a year and just started to notice a few spots in the house that has one to 5 little dark brown droplets. They look like blood but wipe completely clean with a little water. I have found one place on top of the base board heater and another few on a ledge in the downstairs family room which is about waist height all around the room.

I took a pic on my iPad but don't know how to post the picture...

Mouse with diarrhea? I have seen a mouse or two in the garage but not since last year when I baited them. Nothing is above the spots leading to say something is dripping and by my CSI skills, they looks like they have dropped from a height of 1-3 inches. All spots are on flat surfaces and both upstairs and downstairs. I can text anyone a pic if they think they know what this could be.

*****picture posted below*****

-Thanks

Interesting. Could be some kind of bug, or leftovers of a bug killing another bug. I know house centipedes are common in NJ. They come out at night to hunt other bugs. They exclusively eat other bugs, and in their own way are beneficial I guess.... like spiders. Perhaps the drops are whats left of them feasting on some other bug.

Interesting. Could be some kind of bug, or leftovers of a bug killing another bug. I know house centipedes are common in NJ. They come out at night to hunt other bugs. They exclusively eat other bugs, and in their own way are beneficial I guess.... like spiders. Perhaps the drops are whats left of them feasting on some other bug.

Centpedes are nasty. I hated them things before I read Papillon.

I'd be that these occur only when it rains for a couple days.

I'd bet that you've got a small roof leak that dribbles through an mold-soaked area. Water likes to ride from the point of entry to a joint, then down the walls to baseboards or ceilings.

I'd hate to say, but you've probably got a roof leak and a mold issue.

I see splatter. Therefore, the drops are falling from a height. See BRaptor's post above.

Yup. Splatter. But nothing above. Ceiling perfect, drywall perfect. No stains, cracks, tears, rifts, black holes, tunnels or crevasses.

In my line of work, I see a lot of leaks and mold...almost on a daily basis. No leaks coming from the ceiling. I am about taste it if nobody recognizes it.

The ceiling and drywall are all perfect above the spots. I highly doubt a roof leak. Breathing in all that lead dust while at the Bullet Hole affected your reasoning..... ;)

Nope, physics is still physics, even when clouded by the slight retardation caused by lead dust! :D

Those droplets came from directly above, no trajectory beyond straight down. So, either something was hovering while it dropped a liquid, or it came from a source directly above the point in the picture.

I've got experience with small water leaks in the ceiling causing funny brown water droplets. If I'm right, at first, there's no evidence of the leaks, but eventually the paint above the droplets will bubble. If I'm wrong, the paint will never bubble, and the droplets came from something other than the roof.

Ugh. Just tasted it...blood.

Probably a bird or bat. Come to think of it, our motion sensor went off last week when we were out. The actual sensor is above and about a foot to the right of the spot in the picture. It won't go off for the dogs but I bet if something flew right up on it, it would go off.

Will look for dead things tomorrow!

Bed bugs. Check nooks and crannies such as behind pictures, or any furniture pushed up close to the wall in nearby areas. They leave blood spots behind. I'd research it tonight, and if the signs are there, call an exterminator as soon as possible. Those things reproduce like crazy.

Bed bugs. Check nooks and crannies such as behind pictures, or any furniture pushed up close to the wall in nearby areas. They leave blood spots behind. I'd research it tonight, and if the signs are there, call an exterminator as soon as possible. Those things reproduce like crazy.

I'm a hotel manager and know bed bugs. Luckily this is not them. Their blood marks can look like black pepper in the piping around a mattress. Usually the marks left are their excrement. And yes, they produce quickly if not treated.

Ugh. Just tasted it...blood.

Probably a bird or bat. Come to think of it, our motion sensor went off last week when we were out. The actual sensor is above and about a foot to the right of the spot in the picture. It won't go off for the dogs but I bet if something flew right up on it, it would go off.

Will look for dead things tomorrow!

rabies FTL...