I've seen and love this film. Naturally, this is all true what you've said. However, I'm self-employed and I have three small children at home. I lose a day's wages to appear, but if on a trial the financial impact on my family is great. Let this not be overlooked if we're going to accuse someone of shirking. Everyone has their own lives. It is impossible to expect every jury pool to have a Henry Fonda in it.

See, I really don't consider it to be shirking your duty if your family will starve as a result. That would be pretty extreme if you had to serve with that being the outcome.

If only every jury had a Henry Fonda, the U.S. would be that much better.

See, I really don't consider it to be shirking your duty if your family will starve as a result. That would be pretty extreme if you had to serve with that being the outcome.

If only every jury had a Henry Fonda, the U.S. would be that much better.

Starve!? Unlikely. Miss a mortgage payment? Likely.

My point, really, is that we are each te center of our own universe. Each of us has lives and responsibilities that do not go on hold during jury service. I shudder at the thought that 12 of 12 people presiding wish they were someplace else.

Haha guess what? I just got a jury summons notice for the local courthouse. Grand juror notice, can take up to 14 weeks it says.

Welp, I've talked the talk, time to walk the walk!

I'll probably get dismissed anyways, but I wouldn't mind seeing a real trial. My schedule is actually pretty open.

Haha guess what? I just got a jury summons notice for the local courthouse. Grand juror notice, can take up to 14 weeks it says.

I'll probably get dismissed anyways, but I wouldn't mind seeing a real trial. My schedule is actually pretty open.

By day three you'll want to stick your genitals into mouse trap because you'll go insane from boredom.

Grand jury doesn't do trials. If you get selected you get to hear the prosecutor say why he/she is a horrible person and all the evidence against them and then you get to decide if he/she should be indicted or not.

Grand jury doesn't do trials. If you get selected you get to hear the prosecutor say why he/she is a horrible person and all the evidence against them and then you get to decide if he/she should be indicted or not.

Oh! Well that's a bit different.

This will sound stupid but it's a serious question. Do they enforce some kind of dress code when you report for jury duty? If you showed up in jeans and t-shirt would that be a problem?

This will sound stupid but it's a serious question. Do they enforce some kind of dress code when you report for jury duty? If you showed up in jeans and t-shirt would that be a problem?

Not by me..I swear a couple people were homeless

As BLF already kind of indicated, there doesn't seem to be for the jury duty itself. That said, if you actually get called to a coutroom or assigned to a case, you may get a judge that chooses to enforce a dress code in their own courtrooms.

I had the wonderful opportunity to do grand jury service a few years ago in Middlesex county. I have a full-time job, and I enjoy doing jury duty. I've been on three juries in the last ten years, and I've had good experiences each time. I look forward to doing it again.

As indicated above, grand juries do not hear cases - they listen to the prosecutor's evidence on how and why the defendant was charged, and must then vote on whether or not this is sufficient to continue prosecution (pass an indictment). What typically happens is that you serve for X weeks (I did 18) on the same day of the week (so I had 18 Fridays in a row). Each day, you can hear evidence on between 10 and 20 cases. Most of the cases are kind of dull - I'd say at least 50% were "possession with intent to distribute" - i.e. drug dealing. But some of the others were super-interesting - fraud, assault, murder, and so on. The evidence is way better than what you get on Cops on TV. :) There was security-camera footage of a stabbing at a gas station, in-car video of a high-speed chase on the turnpike (the perp even managed to disabled the cop car by ramming it, and then got away!). So, really cool stuff. And every day you get witnesses - sometimes police, sometimes not - who will offer their verbal testimony that they will produce in court, should the case go to trial. So there's a very personal connection. Also, I now know exactly what every single narc in Middlesex county looks like, which could be useful. :D

So I say go for it. It's an exciting opportunity. I wish I could sign up for jury duty more often.

As BLF already kind of indicated, there doesn't seem to be for the jury duty itself. That said, if you actually get called to a coutroom or assigned to a case, you may get a judge that chooses to enforce a dress code in their own courtrooms.

Definitely this. They are pretty lax for the most part. I showed up with my extra long mohawk in a ponytail, wearing a jacket with a bunch of art painted/stenciled on it way back when. I didn't get hassled. The guy with the F the police shirt however almost wound up getting himself in contempt of court.

Grand Jury just runs longer..IIRC it's one day a week or something like that....If you get selected, so us (Police) a Favor, and pay attention and ask INTELLIGENT, RELEVANT Questions...for every useful GJ question i've been asked, there have been 5 assinine ones...including a couple where the Prosecutor and i just looked at each other in confusion

Got notice once, called the day before and was told I was excused. Have never been called since, and am actually interested in serving on a jury.

i've been in Monmouth for 10 years now, registered to vote and changed my DL within a week, and haven't been called for Jury Duty yet..OTOH one of our bosses was on a Civil case that ran for almost 6 months out of Ocean county.

I just got a notice last week. Was wondering if wearing a pro-gun shirt or my NRA Declaration of Independence shirt would get me tossed.

I wore a field jacket and a "dont tread on my shirt", didnt matter, I was out, as soon as I said i was an attorney.

Just got picked for a two week criminal case in New Brunswick. I also got to witness the whole Ravi sentencing media frenzy this morning. I'm pretty sure I'll be on news 12 and Ch 7 new tonight.

So what did Ravi get?

30 days in jail,three years of probation, perform 300 hours of community service, undergo counseling and pay a $10,000 fine that will go to an organization providing assistance to victims of bias crimes.

I KNOW A FAMOUS GUY AND HE IS YOU! LOL!

So what did Ravi get?

He got 30 days in jail, a few fines and 3 years probation.

The whole downtown was crawling with news people and camera. It was quite the freak show.

Seems a little light to me considering that a life was lost, but he didn't actually take it, so maybe it's right? I wouldn't want to be this Judge, that's for sure!

Actually it's kind of heavy IMO.... the fact that they supressed the test of the suicide note, and wouldnt allow it to be read to the Jury told me all I needed to know....while Ravi may have set things in motion, the kid killed himself as a direct result of his mother's reaction, and what she said.

Actually it's kind of heavy IMO.... the fact that they supressed the test of the suicide note, and wouldnt allow it to be read to the Jury told me all I needed to know....while Ravi may have set things in motion, the kid killed himself as a direct result of his mother's reaction, and what she said.

yup, agreed 100%