gunnarsport

Trying to undstand NJ knife laws

Hi,

I am having a hard time interpreting our knife laws. I do not see anywhere in the current NJ law, any length restrictions,

only the type of knifes that are illegal.

Yet I also read that ALL knifes over 3" blade are illegal and even if they are in your home as a collector, its still illegal?

So if one's home is ever entered and searched by the police, or any reason, and they find your knife collection, that is illegal

and you can be arrested?

How is it that Harrys in Robbinsville, with their HUGE knife selection, can sell all the knifes legally to customers?

Can someone clear this up for me?

For any everyday carry pocket knife, illegal?

Perfectly legal...

Depends on the totality of the circumstances...12 inch hunting knife and your out in the woods hunting, your good...12 inch hunting knife at 3 am and your lurking in the bushes near somone's home, probably getting charged with it..

For any everyday carry pocket knife, illegal?

All good advice, I just want to add: if for some reason a leo questions you about your knife and asks why you have it, do NOT say self-defense. For opening boxes at work, for cutting seatbelts, for opening mail.

So if I'm hiking with a 6" fixed blade, its legal because you're in the wilderness. Question is, does it have to be kept in sight or can it be in a backpack? I ask because I can see some yuppies freaking out on the trail if they saw a "WEAPON!!!"

So if I'm hiking with a 6" fixed blade, its legal because you're in the wilderness. Question is, does it have to be kept in sight or can it be in a backpack? I ask because I can see some yuppies freaking out on the trail if they saw a "WEAPON!!!"

Whenever someone gives me a look at work for pulling out my knife I take the time to explain to them that knives are tools, not weapons.

Whenever someone gives me a look at work for pulling out my knife I take the time to explain to them that knives are tools, not weapons.

I work in an office. There was one guy that always had a knife and was eager to use it. It was never the best tool for the job. Every job was better done with a box cutter or scissors instead of his 5 inch lock back.

Usually at work it's someone that came over to borrow my leatherman that asks "why do you have a knife?" I think the obvious answer to them is "you're using it, why don't you have one?"

We ran across this issue when I served on the grand jury. Basially, If you're walking around three in the morning carrying a large steak knife, you'd better be a chef.

...and even then...When I was in school I got stopped at the Holland Tunnel and spot checked, My knife roll was a major source of contention even after showing my school ID and still wearing my kitchen whites.

i wouldnt go walking down main street with a ninja sword now...Also there are certain knives that are listed under prohibited weapons in NJ. (switch blades,gravity knives a few others also.)

Per the law, if you have an explainable lawful purpose for possessing ANY knife, ALL are legal.

Justjules,

As PK90 said, ALL knives are legal if you have an explainable lawful purpose.

2C:39-3 Prohibited Weapons and Devices...

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his

possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger,

dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub,

slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with

metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic

knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty

of a crime of the fourth degree.

How you explain what lawful purpose you have for possession is left up to you...

This gets asked over and over again. All you need is an articulable reason for having it. Its not rocket science. You cant get a definitive answer because there isnt one. NJ laws are based on case law so this leaves an answer open ended and open to interpretation. If i stop you and you have a knife and give me a good reason then you go on your way. I have also charged unlawful possession for having razor blades based on the circumstances so let that tell you something.

From my friend an LEO, NJ has no length rules, but there are 2 main rules to be aware of.

1. Officer Discretion: As in BlueLineFish's example, you should have a reason for that machete strapped to your leg, as in "just clearing brush", or that box cutter "just got out of work at UPS". Not the worst law I suppose but would rather have none.

2. Concealed Carry: That is one a lot of folks forget. Most folders now have pocket clips. Clip it with the knife in the pocket .. concealed ... clipped with knife outside .. legal. Machete on your leg doable, in your pants not.

Add rule 1 with rule 2 and anything is possible.

NYC has actively been looking for clips BTW, and snagging lots of knives, usually with just the lose of the knife for the tourist. So don't go to NYC with your $400 Sebanza in your pocket.

BTW, I own no knives, only tools ;)