Sign in to follow this  
Adam

Hypothetical question..

If one were to move from a Free State, say VT to NJ.

How would they legally go about transporting roughly 150-200 various (verified by FFL) NJ legal firearms and countless rounds of ammunition (well into the 1000's).

Mostly "Black Gun" Long guns, various "tactical" accessories, and quiet a few pistols fitting the same descriptions..

One trip? Multiple trips?

Legally you could haul it in one trip. Of course the firearms must be NJ compliant and nothing else that's banned by NJ statutes.

There is nothing to be done if you owned them in VT and now have a residence in NJ. There is no mandatory registration of firearms in NJ.

As far as practice goes...the least amount of time you spend in NY, the better. Plan your route through Mass/Conn and cross NY with pistols quickly, do not speed, no stops. You don't want to fall victim of NY gotcha laws.

The other practical issue is the "cache". That's media speak for cops showing off what someone has collected, even if they are 100% legal. Certain jurisdictions just get into an orgasmic jerk session when they find someone with more than one gun. If you do haul it all in one, make sure they're all locked up and buried under other stuff. Fill up in VT before you leave, drive straight through, don't go over 5 mph above the speed limit. Do it in the middle of the afternoon.

What's the issue with NY and handguns assuming the magazines were only 10 round capacity?

Rich

As a non NY resident, you cannot have a handgun in your possession in NY. There are two exceptions: Olympic trainee or NRA event in which you are enrolled and have the program materials. In ALL other instances, having a handgun in your possession is a FELONY. You can't take one to the range or gunshop, or any other reason. You cannot handle a friend's gun at the range, you cannot pick one up to look at it in a gun store. There is no legal way for you to have a gun outside of the two instances above. While FOPA should protect you if you are passing through NY state, prosecutors have been ignoring the federal laws and charging residents REGULARLY. I posted an article here recently about someone snared at one of the airports. It is ongoing.

If one were to move from a Free State, say VT to NJ.

How would they legally go about transporting roughly 150-200 various (verified by FFL) NJ legal firearms and countless rounds of ammunition (well into the 1000's).

Mostly "Black Gun" Long guns, various "tactical" accessories, and quiet a few pistols fitting the same descriptions..

One trip? Multiple trips?

First, if 'one' were to move from VT to NJ with 150-200 firearms, 'one' should verify oneself that they are NJ legal first. I wouldn't rely just on the word of an FFL for that. Especially if most of them are 'black guns'.

If they are all indeed legal, then take one trip, two trips, or as many trips as you like to move them. Abide by FOPA transportation laws, and don't get pulled over in the process. Move them directly from one home to the other. Once they are at the new home in NJ, then congratulations, 'one' is now a legal owner of firearms in NJ. No other steps are necessary for 'one' to have them at their home. The legality of other usage may vary.

Airports are different. I am very familiar with that case. Driving through NY shouldn't be an issue. It's the NYC part that is sketchy. Technically FOPA covers you.

There were cases of people getting nailed for it on the NY thruway not that long ago and I agree, FOPA should cover you, the issue is that it's only an affirmative defense. You can be arrested and processed before getting in front of a sane judge.

As for the airport cases, they are ongoing. The arrests are regular and continuing. NYC has turned it into a revenue generator. The airline alerts the police, the traveler is detained, misses his travel and sits in the tombs until a judge sets his fine and the prosecutor arranges the plea deal. It all goes away with the 10-15k fine and surrender of your firearm.

Here's a recent article on the subject: http://www.examiner.com/article/nyc-courts-continue-to-shake-down-legal-gun-owners-at-airports

I was at a different airport so I am not familiar with procedures at the NY airports. Best bet is to fly to Newark and don't bring a gun to NYC. sucks but that is how it is now. Everybody should know that NYC is a no gun zone especially with all the press as of late.

Well this is crazy. I was thinking about a trip up to Sig in NH. Avoiding NY would be a chore.

Rich

Just be sane about it and minimize your time in NY with a handgun. Store it in a locked container, ammo separate. Keep it out of sight and don't mention it if pulled over. Don't consent to any searches.

You'll be fine. Thousands of guns are crossing NY right now, it's very common, just make sure you don't get on the police radar, figuratively and literally.

Well this is crazy. I was thinking about a trip up to Sig in NH. Avoiding NY would be a chore.

Rich

I drive to NH through NYC (George Washington Bridge) from NJ with pistols regularly. God forbid you get into an accident, you don't have anything to worry about.

As a non NY resident, you cannot have a handgun in your possession in NY. There are two exceptions: Olympic trainee or NRA event in which you are enrolled and have the program materials. In ALL other instances, having a handgun in your possession is a FELONY. You can't take one to the range or gunshop, or any other reason. You cannot handle a friend's gun at the range, you cannot pick one up to look at it in a gun store. There is no legal way for you to have a gun outside of the two instances above. While FOPA should protect you if you are passing through NY state, prosecutors have been ignoring the federal laws and charging residents REGULARLY. I posted an article here recently about someone snared at one of the airports. It is ongoing.

Interesting as I heard of someone who knows someone who does that every now & then with the NJ disclosure. I guess either the gun store doesnt give a crap or doesnt know the law. Or maybe the store doesnt care because they wont get in trouble vs the out of state guy but I find it hard to believe the store wont get in serious trouble too.

Interesting as I heard of someone who knows someone who does that every now & then with the NJ disclosure. I guess either the gun store doesnt give a crap or doesnt know the law. Or maybe the store doesnt care because they wont get in trouble vs the out of state guy but I find it hard to believe the store wont get in serious trouble too.

Well, it's a silly law, so the sane gun store just lets you look at them so you could potentially buy it. They won't let you walk out of the store with it, that's for sure but they'll gladly send it to your FFL back home. The letter of the law allows no exceptions for non special people. Special people, like mr. Wavy above :) who are LEOs and FFLs don't have the same restrictions.

Rich

You don't have to avoid NY. Since your journey begins and ends in NJ and VT, you are protected by FOPA in any other state you pass through as long as you follow the FOPA transportation requirements.

Thanks all..

One would hypothetically be moving due to a job transfer. Nothing in stone yet, they are working out details on salary, home & property purchases etc.. It may fall through, but I was asked and didn't know the answer..

You don't have to avoid NY. Since your journey begins and ends in NJ and VT, you are protected by FOPA in any other state you pass through as long as you follow the FOPA transportation requirements.

I agree with that but it sounds like you could fall victim to an overzealous leo that doesn't know FOPA or doesn't care. FOPA is an affirmative defense as stated above but not one I would like to have to raise. Stay under radar is best advice with FOPA as your ace in the hole.

Rich

I was at a different airport so I am not familiar with procedures at the NY airports. Best bet is to fly to Newark and don't bring a gun to NYC. sucks but that is how it is now. Everybody should know that NYC is a no gun zone especially with all the press as of late.

Joe,

The NY State "Sullivan Law" outlaws any hand gun within the 5 Boroughs of NYC, unless you're a NY Resident with a permit. FOPA be damned! Most "Old" guys like me make sure that we don't go over the GWB to get to VT. Instead we go over the Tappan Zee Bridge and re-connect with Rt. 95 several miles North of NYC to get to the free States like Vermont!

And we don't fly out of JFK with a hand gun unless it's the ONLY way, as is the case with some International Shoots. In lieu of the recent Airport arrests, I wouldn't chance JFK at this point. I'd mail my hand gun to a FFL and pay whatever handling fees would apply............but I'm just a wise "Old Fud"!