tony357

GE Moving to china..

Interesting how people now blame the Republican House for Jobs and Obamas new Ad on outsourcing vs. insourcing. I guess Obama's job czar thinks elimination does not count. Let’s not forget the $140 Billion bailout.

GE Moving

GE is moving from Wisconsin. Keep your eye on Waukesha, Wisconsin......Their biggest employer just moved out. General Electric is planning to move its 115-year-old X-ray division from Waukesha, Wis., to Beijing. In addition to moving the headquarters, the company will invest $2 billion in China and train more than 65 engineers and create six research centers.

This is the same GE that made $5.1 billion in the United States last year, but paid no taxes - the same company that employs more people overseas than it does in the United States. So let me get this straight. President Obama appointed GE Chairman Jeff Immelt to head his commission on job creation (job czar). Immelt is supposed to help create jobs. I guess the President forgot to tell him in which country he was supposed to be creating those jobs.

Thanks Jeff, you're a "real" American....give Barrack our Best! If this doesn't show you the total lack of leadership of this President, I don't know what does. Please pass this information to others and think about it before you buy a GE product.

For Snopes verification of this information, go to:http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/ge.asp

-PAXP-deijE.gif

snopes.com: General Electric China Movewww.snopes.com

General Electric is moving its x-ray division from Wisconsin to China?

Thats crazy, I thought GE was a big american company, I would have even gone so far as to say they are one of the blocks to the foundation of our countries industrial side,I guess it turns out your local deli is more of an american business then GE.

Politicians and their agenda's, its never about the country and the people.

GE WAS a great American Company. They abandoned their commitment to the US years ago.

Shareholders should dump their stock in GE asap to send a message. Don't let the door hit you in your Arse. We are losing jobs and the income tax from the workers. We aren't losing any money from the Executives or corporate taxes however.

Bub-bye.

And the reason I bought GE appliances for my house was because they were American. Oh well.

Me too, another reason i was buying GE the MRI and Catscan machines were GE.

At penn last week I did get an MRI from a siemens machine will have to look them up and see if it is the same co, that makes relays that johnson ( omc) use to use..

A couple of months ago, I was driving an executive to JFK who helped to broker / export / relocate companies. He told me for the last few years all of his NJ work was getting out of the state and nothing coming in. The companies in the Mid-Atlantic / New England area are all moving operations overseas or much further south. So many NJ/NY'ers have moved south, it is easy to find 'us' who work with a sense of urgency instead of 'southern time'.

Shareholders should dump their stock in GE asap to send a message. Don't let the door hit you in your Arse. We are losing jobs and the income tax from the workers. We aren't losing any money from the Executives or corporate taxes however.

Selling GE stock has little effect on the corporation. If you want to do something, buy the stock, or keep the stock you have, and exercise your rights as an OWNER to vote, pursue owner (shareholder) actions and attend owner's meetings and make your voice heard.

Every corporation has primary responsibility to benefit its owners, usually that means maximizing profits. I do not blame GE for minimizing its taxes--I'd do the same thing; and if I could legally pay zero, I would. It is the government's fault for allowing it. I strongly believe that if our national policy allows and promotes truly free trade, lower taxes (why do you think corporations are relocating south) and immigration that is more in line with historical immigration policies; AND less redistribution and hand-outs, our industry and economy would flourish.

"Hatchet" Jack Welch (wonder how he acquired that nickname?) of GE fame began moving his back-office operations to India in the 1990's. He found it so profitable he built whole companies there to do the work. This is nothing new. GE has their John F. Welch Technology Center (Global R&D) which is located in Bangalore. It's not just low-cost back-office operations that they do there any more. It's everything. http://www.ge.com/in.../locations.html

AmEx moved their back-office operations to India in the 1980's. Nobody complained then, just the poor folks in those collection call support centers who lost their jobs. Again, this is not a new phenomenon. Folks in this country just haven't been paying much attention. It's only the shareholders who are are giddy with delight.

China is the new standard for manufacturing, and so goes the rush to build infrastructure there. When China becomes too expensive, Thailand and Vietnam are next. There's quite a few call-centers in the Philippines now too. They speak English very well and are more attuned to American slang than their Indian rivals. And they're cheaper!

this just in....the only REAL American religion has finally been determined! Greed...we all subscribe to it and all bow down to our lord and master, the almight himself.....the dollar.

that is why GE is moving, that is why investers will cheer when they do and why we are doomed as a nation.

It's called capitalism. Companies don't move because they are anti-American or anti-NJ. They move because they can make more money by moving operations/jobs elsewhere.

Other nations see this and adjusted their education system in response. China and India teach all their kids to learn English. It's not for some cultural reason; it's so they can communicate with America and take our jobs. China and India teaches the job skills American companies want.

I don't know what doomed as a nation means. If it means that America will not be head and shoulders above the rest of the world, that is probably true. Our standard of living will lower itself while other countries increase theirs.

"Hatchet" Jack Welch (wonder how he acquired that nickname?) of GE fame began moving his back-office operations to India in the 1990's. He found it so profitable he built whole companies there to do the work. This is nothing new. GE has their John F. Welch Technology Center (Global R&D) which is located in Bangalore. It's not just low-cost back-office operations that they do there any more. It's everything. http://www.ge.com/in.../locations.html

AmEx moved their back-office operations to India in the 1980's. Nobody complained then, just the poor folks in those collection call support centers who lost their jobs. Again, this is not a new phenomenon. Folks in this country just haven't been paying much attention. It's only the shareholders who are are giddy with delight.

China is the new standard for manufacturing, and so goes the rush to build infrastructure there. When China becomes too expensive, Thailand and Vietnam are next. There's quite a few call-centers in the Philippines now too. They speak English very well and are more attuned to American slang than their Indian rivals. And they're cheaper!

I didn't know about the Philippines call centers but it just goes to show you how focused these countries are on meeting a demand in the job sector.

Me too, another reason i was buying GE the MRI and Catscan machines were GE.

At penn last week I did get an MRI from a siemens machine will have to look them up and see if it is the same co, that makes relays that johnson ( omc) use to use..

Siemens is an enormous German company that's on the size magnitude of GE. They compete with GE on many product lines. The motor relays were probably made by the very same Siemens as the MRI machine.

I didn't know about the Philippines call centers but it just goes to show you how focused these countries are on meeting a demand in the job sector.

Exactly. They are focused and hungry at the same time.

My buddy sells software that manages wide area networks and VoIP phone systems here in the U.S. and England. Their call center is based in Manila City. They sell a lot of their products to U.S. and London hospitals. Phone extensions, voice mail, etc. are all set up remotely and managed by an agent in the Philippines via a phone call or an email. Across the street from the call center offices are new living quarters for the Philippine people who work there. Very convenient.

http://en.wikipedia....the_Philippines

It's called capitalism. Companies don't move because they are anti-American or anti-NJ. They move because they can make more money by moving operations/jobs elsewhere.

Other nations see this and adjusted their education system in response. China and India teach all their kids to learn English. It's not for some cultural reason; it's so they can communicate with America and take our jobs. China and India teaches the job skills American companies want.

I don't know what doomed as a nation means. If it means that America will not be head and shoulders above the rest of the world, that is probably true. Our standard of living will lower itself while other countries increase theirs.

I was merely commenting on American in general...we only care about "what's in it for me". Yes our standard of living is certainly head and shoulders above others...But in a nutshell, we have a walmart mentality in the economy., those that work in service industries; and those who can afford service industries. Those that work for as living, and those that benefit from that work.

an economy where the rich get richer, and the poor get everything free...so much so that they are "defacto rich" and people like me work to support them all.

politically? I think that if a company makes $ here...they pay tax here. No dodges, no sham companies, no loopholes. if you export a job, you pay tax on that job whether it's here in the USA or otherwise. outsource? yep....with a payroll tax on it; they should pay tax on sales, NOT profit. Companies like GE and Exxon pay NO tax....in fact we pay them with subsidies and other methods.

it's like the pharicueticals, they develop a product here, sell it to the Northern Ireland or swiss subsidary at a huge loss after we helped pay for it, who then liscenses the production here at such a cost that they lose $ there too...all while making a killing on the product on US consumers. Then to add insult to injury, they sell a $100 pill in the USA to canadians/mexican/europeans for $.30 each. It PISSES me off that this happens...and then we give FREE healthcare to illegals and other sob stories from other countries all the while when kids like my neice would die if we didn't pony up the $10000 for a med that they are GIVING some kid from a third world free?

Yea...i have strong feelings on that

i have had no less than 3 jobs exported out from under me...and for shawnmoore, union greatness did not help, they did nothing except take my $ and leave us high and dry when the company made the choice....when we offered a pay cut, the union refused ..company closed 600 people out of work. yea unions work too.

I am sick of corporate welfare, social welfare, liberal welfare, union welfare....Make them all pay, make them work for their freebies, make them pay if they export our manufacturing, tariff the crap out of the imports of companies that outsource the jobs...

There is no god but the almighty dollar, there is no goverment by the people or for the people...rather its for the company and freeloading poor heaped upon the backs of the middle class working people like you and me.

sorry about the rant...i will get off my soapbox.

I feel much better

look at the money they will save on toxic waste disposal, they can go back to there old ways and just dump chemicals into the nearest river. and when the workers start dying they can replace them at no extra cost. maybe they will try and top union carbides record.

Since Ft. Monmouth closed in 2011, there are no more tech & engineering jobs in Monmouth/Ocean,as AT&T/Alcatel-Lucent/Avaya have scaled back significantly. There are at *least* 1000 people (including myself) that commute from NJ to Aberdeen, MD a few days a week. Some go every day. Some have rented apts or trailers or whatever in the Aberdeen area. The jobs are NOT coming back. I pass by Eaglepoint on 295 on my MD commute, that place will never be open again. I am actively looking to get out of NJ to Texas/SC/NC.

A couple of months ago, I was driving an executive to JFK who helped to broker / export / relocate companies. He told me for the last few years all of his NJ work was getting out of the state and nothing coming in. The companies in the Mid-Atlantic / New England area are all moving operations overseas or much further south. So many NJ/NY'ers have moved south, it is easy to find 'us' who work with a sense of urgency instead of 'southern time'.

Just one example of what happens when jobs leave America from what was once a booming industrial/manufacturing town. The subsequent fall-out and repercussions are numbing:

Great Vid I posted it to my facebook page..

Dump a stock that is paying 3.4% dividend. Yea right keep dreaming. GE is just like every other US company trying to maximize profits.

GE WAS a great American Company. They abandoned their commitment to the US years ago.

Bub-bye.

This is actually not true... here are the stories not being talked about...

Airbus... yes Airbus, the French/German airplane manufacturer is building a plant in the United States.

HP is moving more stuff back here.

Siemens is moving here.

Guys, lets be honest... globalization is here to stay and business will move from where it is less efficient to produce to where it is more efficient to produce.

If a company is producing rubber dog crap... why pay someone here $20 an hour when you can pay someone 1/4 of that wage overseas? Then you save a butt load on taxes that the employers face. And guess what... prices go up if we produce all the stuff here.

Why are gas prices so much higher now than in the years past? Because feel good legislation passes that says that we need to subsidize our farms so we have ethanol from Corn.... at a much higher price, to be put into gas. US farmers are setting aside crops for gas, instead of growing crops for food consumption because the taxpayers are bailing them out.... meanwhile... a more effective ethanol production platform exists in Brazil, at a far lower cost.

As a GE shareholder... I would be happy with the move.

Whats more american? A Chrysler assembled in Canada, with an engine from Mexico, or a Ford Fusion from Mexico?

or a Toyota Camry made in the United States with 80% American made parts?

How about a BMW x3 and x5 made in South Carolina?

The fact is... companies will always move operations in order to maximize efficiency, increase profits, and reduce costs for everyone.

Being "protectionist" with policies will only work in the short term, but over time... the protectionist countries will fall out of sync, and where the people will get hurt is going outside the country.

Don't get me wrong, if all the borders were shut, no one was let in or out, no products were imported.... sure it may work... but in reality... with commerce, it is a losing proposition.

globalization is here to stay and business will move from where it is less efficient to produce to where it is more efficient to produce.

^ This

There is nothing anti-American about it at all. Companies are in business for one reason and one reason only: TO MAKE MONEY. Not to employ people, not to support unions, not to be patriotic, not to save the world, etc.

This is the Invisible Hand in operation and I'm all for it.