Phillies

Did you know that buying 6,000 rounds of ammo is abnormal behavior?

Or atleast that's what our fine Senator Lautenberg said. Not sure if anyone caught this quote from him but he said this.... lol

Holmes purchased 6,000 rounds of ammunition online "like you might order shoes or food," Lautenberg said. "He didn't have to interact with another human being who could have noticed his abnormal behavior."

I think if many of us had 6,000 rounds we would say we are dangerously low on ammo! :)

Or atleast that's what our fine Senator Lautenberg said. Not sure if anyone caught this quote from him but he said this.... lol

Holmes purchased 6,000 rounds of ammunition online "like you might order shoes or food," Lautenberg said. "He didn't have to interact with another human being who could have noticed his abnormal behavior."

I think if many of us had 6,000 rounds we would say we are dangerously low on ammo! :)

Let's be realistic about the criticism. Lautenberg's point is not that the ammo buy was the abnormal behavior. But rather, by not having to procure his ammo from a warm body he didn't have to interact with anyone who would clearly seen that he was NUCKING FUTS!!!!

This is ridiculous on it's face to suggest that any retailer is the last line of defense as to who's crazy and who's not. The guy has parents. He had a girlfriend. He had classmates, and he had a University Psychiatrist whose care he was under. But it's the ammo retailer's fault.

As to the OP, I think it's more beneficial to point out the actual absurdity of Lautenberg's point than to conflate it to fit our narrative.

My girlfriend brought up the shooting the other day, and was like the guy was crazy, he had 6000 rounds, no one needs that much. I then responded by explaining how I have about 10k and sometimes the best deals you get for ammo is when you buy bulk amounts.Also how easy it is to shoot through thousands of rounds when you do target shooting and take up firearm collecting as a hobby and its even more so with you do competitive shooting. I explained to her the amount me and my brother go through when we visit the range and we try to go once or twice a week. She kind of gave me the raised eye brow then thought about it and sort of understood.

Like adam said if you arent into firearms you can have a hard time understanding,everything people see the media can really trick them into agreeing with some of these retarded politicians. Firearm education to society as a whole is key to calming the general public in freak situations like the theater shooting, people fear what they dont understand.

I think 1,000 rounds per purchase is completely normal. And then for shooters with multiple weapons and who shoot often and are trying to save a buck that 5,000-6,000 isn't that far from normal. Granted I think we can mostly all agree we don't go out every weekend buying this much ammo. But many of us have fore sure made a purchase this large at least once for initial stockpiles. And then for our re-occurring weekly or monthly purchases are doing them around the 1,000 round mark. Just think if they offered quantity discounts for buying gasoline... people would not only be filling their tanks every purchase but filling 20 gas cans a time. There are far more important factors that should be discussed as to how the situation could be avoided in the future. Ammunition quantity purchase has maybe only 1 time EVER been a factor in gun violence in America in the last 20 years. And for that I would say the North Hollywood shootout where about 2,000 rounds were fired but that was also calculating the rounds the police fired as well. This kid could have bought 50,000,000 rounds and it wouldn't have contributed anymore to this shooting or 99% of shootings across this country. I would take a good guess that less 50-100 rounds are fired at the majority of every scene of extreme gun violence in the country. So ammo should just not even be a topic, a human being can only carry so much ammunition, use so much ammunition, and reload so much ammunition... if politicians are going to talk on the subject i just wish they used valid points of discussion and not talk out there a**. frustrates me!

My girlfriend brought up the shooting the other day, and was like the guy was crazy, he had 6000 rounds, no one needs that much. I then responded by explaining how I have about 10k and sometimes the best deals you get for ammo is when you buy bulk amounts.Also how easy it is to shoot through thousands of rounds when you do target shooting and take up firearm collecting as a hobby and its even more so with you do competitive shooting. I explained to her the amount me and my brother go through when we visit the range and we try to go once or twice a week. She kind of gave me the raised eye brow then thought about it and sort of understood.

Like adam said if you arent into firearms you can have a hard time understanding,everything people see the media can really trick them into agreeing with some of these retarded politicians. Firearm education to society as a whole is key to calming the general public in freak situations like the theater shooting, people fear what they dont understand.

Wise words Anthony! I agree very much, its a danger really for them to get up on these open media forums and speak without much knowledge and influence opinions on serious matters so strongly. I never see our side preached or educated on ever tho, its frustrating that nobody wants to take a stand to just explain. Not even argue or debate, just explain and educate on the other side of things so those uneducated may be properly informed and misconceptions could lessen

Let's be realistic about the criticism. Lautenberg's point is not that the ammo buy was the abnormal behavior. But rather, by not having to procure his ammo from a warm body he didn't have to interact with anyone who would clearly seen that he was NUCKING FUTS!!!!

So Lautenberg believes the ammo seller would have noticed something was amiss... Something that the FFL(s) didn't notice when he purchased all 4 guns. I guess he thinks ammo retailers are better at psychiatric evaluation than gun dealers.

This is ridiculous on it's face to suggest that any retailer is the last line of defense as to who's crazy and who's not. The guy has parents. He had a girlfriend. He had classmates, and he had a University Psychiatrist whose care he was under. But it's the ammo retailer's fault.

As to the OP, I think it's more beneficial to point out the actual absurdity of Lautenberg's point than to conflate it to fit our narrative.

This is the same way I read it. I don't know if his parents, girlfriend, classmates or psychiatrist knew that Holmes had firearms.

So Lautenberg believes the ammo seller would have noticed something was amiss... Something that the FFL(s) didn't notice when he purchased all 4 guns. I guess he thinks ammo retailers are better at psychiatric evaluation than gun dealers.

Good point.

Many people buy firearms for protection. If the SHTF there would most likely be no way to buy ammo. Therefore stocking up is the common sense thing to do. Guns are nothing more than paperweights or hammers without ammo. Ammo would also be a great commodity to trade if things went bad. It's not like we are stockpiling coffins, the govt has that covered.

This is my point exactly. That lautenbergs argument is patently absurd. The mere notion that limiting ammo sales or prohibiting online ammo sales would have mitigated this murder at all is devoid of logic. Plus, give Lautenberg more credit. He doesn't actually believe this because it makes no sense. This is just the argument he sets up to enact tha overall ban on ammo sales that he wants. He is twisting the facts up to fit his narrative. Don't be shocked. Every side does it.

Interesting though. On the one hand it is very important to have face to face contact and interaction to see what's what with a person if you are truly to see a mental state, but to think anything could be learned in the course of a retail sale by retail clerks is just absurd.

It's like a wolf in sheeps clothing - or something.

My girlfriend brought up the shooting the other day, and was like the guy was crazy, he had 6000 rounds, no one needs that much. I then responded by explaining how I have about 10k and sometimes the best deals you get for ammo is when you buy bulk amounts.

I tell those that ask that it is the same reason people go to COSTCO - to save money.

Playing Devil's Advocate, I don't think the number of rounds total has been raised by most people. The thing that most people are saying is "This guy got 90 deliveries of ammo over under 60 days". The UPS man was delivering ammo to this guy, in a suburban area, once or twice each day every day. And they are not saying that the ammo retailer should be psychic, but if that unusual purchase pattern had sent up a red flag, perhaps warranted a 'closer look', be it an at home visit or intense background check, then maybe this could have be prevented. Would any of you guys really be against an at home visit for ammo purchases that sent up 'red flags' for one reason or another? I am not saying police searching your home, but someone knocks on your door, sits down for twenty minutes and asks some questions to make sure you are not insane. Would this stop every tragedy? Of course not. But I for one don't find a very minor inconvenience (That does not violate my constitutional rights) if it could stop one or two of these situations even. As for the few people who do hear '6000 rounds' and say "That's awful!" They are either ignorant or just have never been around firearms. The media (those from both political ideologies) likes to use big numbers to scare people in all sorts of situations. One of the reasons this country has polarized itself into deadlock. But that is a rant for another day.

The UPS man was delivering ammo to this guy, in a suburban area, once or twice each day every day. And they are not saying that the ammo retailer should be psychic, but if that unusual purchase pattern had sent up a red flag, perhaps warranted a 'closer look', be it an at home visit or intense background check, then maybe this could have be prevented. Would any of you guys really be against an at home visit for ammo purchases that sent up 'red flags' for one reason or another? I am not saying police searching your home, but someone knocks on your door, sits down for twenty minutes and asks some questions to make sure you are not insane.

Hell yea I would have a problem with that. First of all because there is already a mental health practitioner in the story, she thought he was a danger and nothing happened.

Considering in another thread a 15 year old's visit to a hospital mote than a decade ago got him flagged applying for a FID,I find that appalling.

There already are laws in place against the mentally ill having firearms, the trouble is that part of the health care system is completely underfunded. Underfunded to the point where they don't have enough people to go making house calls on people because they are buying ammunition.

And what UPS driver makes two stops a day to a location when they can make just one? That sounds a little like bs to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing Devil's Advocate, I don't think the number of rounds total has been raised by most people. The thing that most people are saying is "This guy got 90 deliveries of ammo over under 60 days". The UPS man was delivering ammo to this guy, in a suburban area, once or twice each day every day. And they are not saying that the ammo retailer should be psychic, but if that unusual purchase pattern had sent up a red flag, perhaps warranted a 'closer look', be it an at home visit or intense background check, then maybe this could have be prevented. Would any of you guys really be against an at home visit for ammo purchases that sent up 'red flags' for one reason or another? I am not saying police searching your home, but someone knocks on your door, sits down for twenty minutes and asks some questions to make sure you are not insane. Would this stop every tragedy? Of course not. But I for one don't find a very minor inconvenience (That does not violate my constitutional rights) if it could stop one or two of these situations even. As for the few people who do hear '6000 rounds' and say "That's awful!" They are either ignorant or just have never been around firearms. The media (those from both political ideologies) likes to use big numbers to scare people in all sorts of situations. One of the reasons this country has polarized itself into deadlock. But that is a rant for another day.

I understand your point however I disagree with being ok for a visit by an agency due to my purchase habits. Who's to say what "abnormal" is? If you were to buy 6k rounds in 5 days from 6 different retailers because each had a sale or free shipping offer, who catches that? The shipping company does not know what's in the boxes. Just because it says Federal or Winchester on the box does not mean its ammo. How about companies that repack or double box? Will every shipment from Midway or Sportsman's Guide raise a flag?

I understand your point however I disagree with being ok for a visit by an agency due to my purchase habits. Who's to say what "abnormal" is? If you were to buy 6k rounds in 5 days from 6 different retailers because each had a sale or free shipping offer, who catches that? The shipping company does not know what's in the boxes. Just because it says Federal or Winchester on the box does not mean its ammo. How about companies that repack or double box? Will every shipment from Midway or Sportsman's Guide raise a flag?

+1. The problem with the whole thing is, it is ALWAYS a slippery slope. The potential for abuse is there, and giving that power to people who may use it in the future to harass people in the name of "public safety" is something that cannot be allowed.

Some people shoot a lot. Some people are wackos that hoard ammo. Maybe 1 or 2 people are truly crazy and stocking up for some mass murder thing. Even so, Holmes didn't bring 6000 rounds with him to the theater.

Even if I started to stockpile a boatload of ammo, what exactly would the "authorities" say to me? What objective criteria would they evaluate me on? They'd need a warrant to even talk to me. I plead the 5th and then what?