destro23

Who can build the cheapest AR?!

Hey guys been reading through Vlads threads on building his AR... i'm going to have about an $800-900 budget on mine WHEN i get one... maybe for xmas 2012 ;) with flat top for optics later on..

So i was just wondering as a challenge.... what is the cheapest you can build/buy an AR for?

list the price/place that has the part... you can do stripped lower and parts kit/complete upper... surplus stuff... (i'm gonna exclude bending metal lol) Also has to be NJ legal of course!! And can also be Cheapest YOUR willing to spend (because buying a surplus upper thats bent like a banana is just to "cheap")

Spikes current que for lowers = 40,000 !!! lol

let the fun begin... i'll add some links to surplus places soon: or i'll update this top one as you also list your secret sites!

http://www.aimsurplus.com

http://www.jsesurplus.com/

Let the fun begin!!

I think that by the time it was all said and done for me, I spent just over $700. I'd have spent less, but I had bought some of the wrong parts and couldn't sell them for what I paid.

Here is the link I am sure he meant, http://akpartskits.com/index.html I have no experience with this company, others will chime in if they want.

As you know know "cheap" and "quality" often do not go hand and hand. Therefore I would state the main intended use of the AR you want to build and then members can advise you from there.

Big difference between a SHTF build (which seems to be getting more popular) verses a target/plinking fun gun. IMHO of course.

PSA MOE Lower Build Kit - $140 + $6 shipping

Surplus Arms Stripped lower $60 + $25 FFL + $15 NICS + $16 shipping ($116)

JSE Surplus Upper (plus YHM Phantom muzzle brake) - $390 - Note - Needs Brake pinned ($50'ish?)

http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hbarmidlength1x9flattopuppercompletestandard-2-1-1-2.aspx

Magpul MBUS Rear sight - $55 (Shipping included from PSA)

Total: $757

PSA MOE Lower Build Kit - $140 + $6 shipping

Surplus Arms Stripped lower $60 + $25 FFL + $15 NICS + $16 shipping ($116)

JSE Surplus Upper (plus YHM Phantom muzzle brake) - $390 - Note - Needs Brake pinned ($50'ish?)

http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hbarmidlength1x9flattopuppercompletestandard-2-1-1-2.aspx

Magpul MBUS Rear sight - $55 (Shipping included from PSA)

Total: $757

Where are you getting an ffl transfer for $25?

get a polymer stripped lower. get a used brand upper or no name new upper. used stock with parts. no name lpk ... and so on >> $500 .. $550 if u go fancy. it will shoot. it will hit.

the $ number just for the parts themselves. shipping always adds on Unfortunatly

Why would you want the cheapest AR? Do you want the cheapest car, cheapest house, cheapest food, cheapest heart transplant, cheapest fire extinguisher, cheapest antibiotics?

Look at it this way, firearms are investments, specially good ones. With a bit of care they will last you a lifetime. The difference between the cheapest and darn good is only $200-$400 depending on what sales you are getting and how patient you are. Buy quality parts as they go on sale, not only does it let you reduce the cost but by stretching the period over which you purchase it you can also extend your budget.

I've just gone through through a rifle build where I was trying to end up with a GOOD rifle that wasn't expensive, and while I don't have the math handy I think it broke down like this:

Spikes lower $80

Palmento MOE lower complition kit $145

BCM "scratch" upper $80

BCM bolt group $150

Spikes Barrel $160 (as far as I can tell they are made by same people who make BCM barrels)

MOE sight $70 (whatever it costs, I actually had them around)

Gas block $50 (this is specific to my build, you can go with a front sight/gas block combo and maybe save some money)

Spikes Dynacomp $90 (it is VERY nice, I love it)

Troy/Vtac handguard $130 (bought the older model on sale)

Gas tube+charging handle+small parts $45 (you can add another $20 if you want to splurge on a BCM charging handle)

This is exactly $1000 to which you can add another $100 to $150 for shipping, transfers, pinning, etc but at the end of the day you have very solid rifle, instead of the cheapest rifle you can build.

Spikes Dynacomp $90 (it is VERY nice, I love it)

Woohoo!

Just finished building my Spikes 14.5" with the Dynacomp pin/welded on.

Can't wait to try it out.

But Vlad, some people don't have $1000+, they have $600-700.. and that's stretching it.

Maybe they go cheap now, and then go all out later on.

An AR can always be sold to recoup some of the cost, and put towards a better build.

Personally, I spent around $700 because I wasn't sure if I'd like the AR platform as a civilian rifle.

My frankenmutt AR has been reliable, fun, and cheap.

I learned a ton about mods, parts quality, gas systems, bolt carriers, cleaning, ammunition, optics, etc. during the process.

'Don't regret a dollar spent on it.

When I want to shoot bulk Russian ammo with my friends... out comes frankenmutt.

For myself, 3-gun matches, etc... the Spikes.

Woohoo!

Just finished building my Spikes 14.5" with the Dynacomp pin/welded on.

Can't wait to try it out.

Youll love it, Ive had my 14.5" w dynacomp since last May its definately my fav upper so far.

BTW Mine makes nice fireballs at night with xm193 too (the first 3 are Silver bear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZQtWpzy7VI

My build as of right now is over around $300 dollars over budget of ($800) without optics ($200). But it is exactly what I want or even better than what I planned. It's also my first build(lower) so it adds sentimental value which is priceless in my opinion.

I was actually thinkin of going cheap also like a m&p 15 sport, but decided to build because VLADTEPES talked me into it, with a very valid reasons to build.