Jon

IDPA Somerset 8/19

Is this event open to spectators? Do you have to be a club member to watch?

Yes it is open to spectators - but experience has shown us that most people that come to watch, regret not participating. Somerset is very newb friendly and a great way to get your feet wet in competitive shooting. Google IDPA rules and make sure you have compliant equipment. Read any stickies here on the board and come on out and shoot.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sweet. I think I'm in for watching the first time and then trying it out.

NO PRESSURE, but Bob is right. And just a tip: I'd get there early enough to attend the mandatory Newbie Training prior to the Match, so this way you won't have any impediment holding you back when you want to SHOOT, be it the next Match OR THAT DAY! Either way, you'll have gone through the Training and therefore are allowed to register........

The round counts are comparitively low and they only shoot four Stages and then have pizza, so I'd bring my gun and a box & 1/2 of ammo JUST IN CASE I decided to change my mind.......

Dave

NJSig, bring your gun, holster, 3 mags, and 150rds of ammo, and definitely show up early. Go through the new shooter training and you have the option to stay and shoot. You will know by the time the training session is over if you will be comfortable shooting or not.

Dang - Now i'm going to HAVE to try to make it if Rosie is shooting :D

Maybe you can show me some of those Ninja moves, so I can get my fat a$$ down on the floor easier....or bring a Yale Crane to get me back UP, lol!

or bring a Yale Crane to get me back UP, lol!

You too? I just make sure that the RO yells "TIMBER" whenever I have to get down. See you there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm in for a first time IDPA experience. I've done one USPSA event before so the concepts of the 180 line, finger, and muzzle discipline make sense. One question I have is about tactical reloads. Are magazines expected to be replaced into carriers/dump pouch during a cof or is it permissable to eject them onto the floor and retieve after the range is safe?

There is no 180 degree rule at Somerset IDPA - the limits are the sides of the backstop.

In IDPA, you are only allowed to drop mags if the gun is empty. The mag may be empty but if there's still a bullet in the chamber, you will get a procedural. If you are doing a reload with a partially full mag, you are allowed to do a reload with retention (stow the partially full mag in a pouch or in a pocket).

Usually it's much quicker to take that 1 extra shot so you can do a regular reload.

I'm in for a first time IDPA experience. I've done one USPSA event before so the concepts of the 180 line, finger, and muzzle discipline make sense. One question I have is about tactical reloads. Are magazines expected to be replaced into carriers/dump pouch during a cof or is it permissable to eject them onto the floor and retieve after the range is safe?

I'm in for my first action pistol match ever - at least you have experience. My worst fear right now is having crazy nerves and not even hitting the paper.

Blargh. The one time that Maks and Rosie shoot IDPA and I have to miss it.... Will be working Sunday for sure :(

Sorry to hear that Nick! I feel your pain, for I've been there plenty of times myself!

I'm going to Old Bridge first thing in the morning to shoot in the Shotgun League's Clay Bird Shoot, then hitting the road to get to SCF&GPA for the IDPA Match. The "Shootist" in me just can't resist those darn movin' clay birds, lol! And I'm givin'-up Black Powder League Shoot to do it.......so many guns, so little time, lol!

We'll shoot again with you soon, don't worry!

Rosie