Scott204

In the market for a work knife

I am very tough on knives that I use for work. I am a full time leo and I am looking for a cheap folding knife. I know when you say cheap you get cheap, but like I said I am rough on these things. I have spent over $100 for a nice gerber folder years ago and it broke pretty quick. I want a decent folder in the $50 range because they are used and abused and sometimes lost in when I use it double duty in the woods.

I've used a Kershaw 1550 for years. Blade tip broke once and they replaced no questions asked. I love this knife and use it every day. Assisted opening is something you never go back from too.

I now alternate between the Kershaw 1970 Burst and the 1830 Oso Sweet ,both excellent knives, ever since they discontinued the 1730's Zing models.

I paid $19.95 each with the shipping,they are sharp,strong and reliable, at less than 20 bucks a piece I'm not overly put out if I should lose or break them as I'm in the habit of doing.

Exactly. The 1550 still goes for around $40, but even there I'm comfortable with it, because of their awesome warranty. I think anything under $100 should be considered disposable as a work knife. I'm pretty good about not losing my knives though. I feel naked without one in my pocket.

I recently picked up the Buck Vantage Avid off of Amazon. For a $37 knife, this this is great! Smooth opening, great steel (Sandvick 13c27), really nice pocket clip and handle material, and made in the USA. Add that to Buck's Forever Warranty, it's one of the best bangs for your buck out there. Their warranty is excellent and used it on my Buck Ranger 112 when the tip broke. I sent them the knife and they replaced the blade, buffed the handle and it came back looking like new - all for free!

If you're knives are used and abused, the warranty will definitely come in handy for you. My vote is definitely a Buck!

Anything from the Kershaw line is fantastic - blur, oso sweet, blackout, leek, etc.

I've also had some great offerings from Spyderco. The few knives they make with full serrated blades are some of the sharpest knives I've ever used before.

During this summer, I purchased two knives for work. One of those utility razor-blade knives and a Kershaw Blur. I used the Blur a lot more since it was more fun to use and was easier to deploy. Damn that thing was sweet...super sharp, kept a nice blade even though I beat it up doing electrical/plumbing/masonry, and was such a sexy knife nonetheless. The utility was good for uses like cutting carpet, ceiling tiles, etc and they are sharp, but a folder has a 'fun' aspect of it that a utility knife doesn't.

Another vote for the Spyderco Byrd line. Try and get the flat grind models. Also take a look at Sanrenmu. They are not easy to find but you find some on Ebay and there are few U.S. distributors. It's Chinese brand but the quality is very good.

The secret is leaking out :) For adult sizes and quality look at the enlan EL-01. Boker now put their stamp on it and are selling around $40 .... $10 plus shipping from exduct .. shhhh.

For an everyday workhorse, my go to is:

http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B001CZDNVU

Spyderco Endura in PE. I've got Enduras that are 20 years old and going strong. Long blade, not too tall, thick spine, solid lockup, great ergos, clip mounts at all 4 points for any carry, edge shape is great for all sorts of tasks, FRN handle is tuff as nails, and VG-10 keeps an edge ... just stay on top of it with some stropping and you got your best friend.

C10BK_L.jpg