Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

TSA/Portable type Mini Gun Safe purchase /comparison

I purchased two mini Gun Safes from Ramsey Outdoors and was surprised regarding quality differences

Safe A - GunVault model NV300 Key Lock $29.99

Safe B - LockDown model 222133 Combination Lock $19.00

The key vs combo lock mechanism were both the same price in there respective brand. GunVault key and combo both $29.99. LockDown key and combo both &19.99.

So if you are in the market for one of these Travel Safes I would recommend the LockDown Brand hands down over the GunVault Brand. If they were both the same quality the LockDown brand is 1/3 less money so that alone would rate a strong recommend.

The LockDown brand has the following advantages.

1)The foam padding is about twice as firm and will retain support for much longer.

2) The cable lock has a steel washer to help resist pulling through.

4) The four pre drilled holes have an extra reinforcing plate across the bottom of the case mailing it twice as think across bottom.

5) Four matched size wood screws are included.

6) The lockup is much tighter when closed with no flex in the lid.

7) The vertical tab that the latch engages into is part of the bottom plate bent 90 degrees, not spot welded.

8) The mat black finish has a texture non slip grip.

When flying/driving out of state out of state my 3 Carry gun options I'll have with me.

Glock 27 .40SW

Ruger LCP .380ACP

NAA Mini .22WMR

They should all fit nicely in one safe. The mags/Ammon

Lockdown brand has the guns in it

a6895893-0b7a-f820.jpg

Lockdown brand is the key lock

a6895893-0bb6-8a53.jpg

post-5151-134499799897_thumb.jpg

post-5151-134499806047_thumb.jpg

FWIW the TSA has on its website ammo must be "in factory or sturdy container" or something like that. They always used to be okay with loaded magazines as long as the top (feeding end of mag where ammo is exposed) was covered. I have a trip coming up and am booked on American so I checked their website. American specifically said "no loaded clips (sic)" and said factory or sturdy box.

Something to keep in mind. I'll be taking my ammo in boxes from now on.

I have the lock down type with a combo lock (actually I have two of them) They travel every where. TSA is fine with them and when in NJ they work fine in the luggage compartment of the car,

As far as ammo TSA says you can harry up to #11 lbs. I carry ammo in the original boxes or the plastic reloading boxes.

Two things In the Lock Down box I can actually lock the slide back on a G19 and expose the chamber, Makes the TSA boys comfy. And #2 I had to break open one of those boxes one and it's not that easy.

I like them and they're cheap.

Not to drag this out. Can I travel with the 20 round powerball .45 in its original box without placing it a locked container? Basically, if I bought a box prior to heading to airport and placed it in my checked baggage, is this ok? I always been a little confused so I would buy ammo when I got to my destination...:blink:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Not to drag this out. Can I travel with the 20 round powerball .45 in its original box without placing it a locked container? Basically, if I bought a box prior to heading to airport and placed it in my checked baggage, is this ok? I always been a little confused so I would buy ammo when I got to my destination... :blink:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

usually they specify either Factory packaging, or something like the MTM boxes, you just cant have them loose in a box or a baggie. I'm flying next week and i'll be carrying Federal Guard Dog in a plastic case..those 20 round boxes suck frankly.

I am thinking about going light for my upcoming flight to the mid-west. I picked up one of these little Lockable cases. It will snuggly hold one Ruger LCP or similar size gun.

It is a hard plastic case and I plan on using a TSA combination lock...Does anyone think this is a bad move and I should stick with the Metal "Gun-Vault" type Safe in the first post.

post-5151-134702747683_thumb.jpgpost-5151-134702749346_thumb.jpgpost-5151-134702750547_thumb.jpg

I am thinking about going light for my upcoming flight to the mid-west. I picked up one of these little Lockable cases. It will snuggly hold one Ruger LCP or similar size gun.

It is a hard plastic case and I plan on using a TSA combination lock...Does anyone think this is a bad move and I should stick with the Metal "Gun-Vault" type Safe in the first post.

I wouldn't use the TSA lock. I think they specifically say not too, but I forget.

YOu want to use your own lock, combo or key, you keep the key. If they want to open to see it, they will ask you to open it.