Kingsoverqueens

List of equipment needed to reload

Help a noob out as he starts the research necessary for reloading?

If you all could help me compile a shopping list of sorts for what I'm going to need, I'd appreicate it.

I'm told that a Dillon progressive reloader press is the shiznit. That's about all I know. :lol:

I do not reload, although I know a few people who do.

I have read books about reloading. Even if you don't reload, you can learn a lot about shooting from a reloading manual.

I would say that the 2 most important things for a reloader is:

#1. "The ABCs of Reloading"

#2. A very good digital scale.

One day you are doing to accidentally double-charge a cartridge. Your digital scale will tell you which cartridge you screwed up so you don't have to throw the entire lot out.

Thanks Nick, I certainly appreicate that offer. Our geographics present a challange, but I'll keep it in mind.

I was all set to order another 1,000 rounds and cancelled the order when I realized it was $210 bucks I could put towards reloading equipment. So I guess my mind is made up.

Thanks Nick, I certainly appreicate that offer. Our geographics present a challange, but I'll keep it in mind.

I was all set to order another 1,000 rounds and cancelled the order when I realized it was $210 bucks I could put towards reloading equipment. So I guess my mind is made up.

Its going to cost you more than $210 to start reloading. I'm just starting out as well and here is my breakdown so far.

ROCK CHUCKR SUPRM MASTER REL KIT $289.95

M2 TUMBLER 110 VOLT $64.99

LEE 4 DIE SET 40 S&W/10MM CARBID $36.99

RC ADVANCED POWDER MEASURE STAND $20.65

ROTARY CASE/MEDIA SEPARATOR $29.95

I still need a caliper. (Thought I bought one with the order above, apparently I didn't)

Also need to build a table.

1 pound of powder of your choice $15-$20/pound

1k of primers $30 ish

1k of bullets $115

So as you can see, it will cost you more than $210, but still worth it in my opinion.

Oh, I knew the initial investment would be over $210.00. I've been told it could run as much as $700 to $800 bucks, natually, depending on the type of equipment I bought.

It just seemed to make more sense to take the $210 I was going to spend on 1,000 rounds of ammo and put it towards the initial investment necessary for the reloading equipment. I've already got 7 or 8 hundred rounds of brass on hand, so why not, right? At the same time, I'm going to have to start reloading once I run out of ammo, which I think is down to around 800 rounds. One of my many issues is that I tend to procrastinate. lol This will force me.

Oh, I knew the initial investment would be over $210.00. I've been told it could run as much as $700 to $800 bucks, natually, depending on the type of equipment I bought.

It just seemed to make more sense to take the $210 I was going to spend on 1,000 rounds of ammo and put it towards the initial investment necessary for the reloading equipment. I've already got 7 or 8 hundred rounds of brass on hand, so why not, right? At the same time, I'm going to have to start reloading once I run out of ammo, which I think is down to around 800 rounds. One of my many issues is that I tend to procrastinate. lol This will force me.

Oh I see what you mean. I think it'll be worth it. I'll let ya know in about a month once I get my first batches fired. :) What press are you looking at?

If you are starting out with 9mm, you won't really NEED all the stuff posted above. I have a Lyman Turret press that I got used, a 25 dollar digital scale and a balance beam that I was given. I was also given a powder measure. I use my (really nice) digital calipers from my garage and I purchased a hand primer for 35 bux or so. You can save on some of what I mentioned by purchasing on line. I choose to purchase at a brick and mortar.

I clean my rounds before I punch out the primer in an old milk jug with hot water, a little dish detergent, and some vinegar. Soak them for an hour or two and rinse them well. No real need for a tumbler for pistol. I set them in front of a fan and the next day they're clean. Punch them, prime them, load them and cap'em. I use the balance for the initial setting of the powder measure, double check it with the digital, and check every 10-15 with the digital. I check every 20 or so for length on the caliper. Voila, loaded ammo.

Good luck.

C

I see your from the CJ area. Your more than welcome to come over and check my set ups out. I have a few presses. I am going to sell my Lee Classic Turret. It's nice for the beginner and you can easily crank out a minimum of 150 rounds an hour. It has die's for 9mm, 40 and 45acp. I might even have a new set for 38/357mag. Lemme know if you wanna check it out.

Thanks Max.

This is one purchase I'm hoping to get mostly right the first time out.

From what little I've seen (and learned so far) is that I don't want a single stage setup.

Hopefully we can talk in greater detail on Sunday. I'm sure there is a lot you can teach me, and that I would very much appreciate.

Regardless of the loading setup you go with, you'll want to have Wilson or Dillon Max Cartridge gages for EVERY caliber you load.

It's the last step in the production process - QUALITY CONTROL

Better you discover your ammo issues at the bench rather than at the range or in the field.

Regardless of the loading setup you go with, you'll want to have Wilson or Dillon Max Cartridge gages for EVERY caliber you load.

It's the last step in the production process - QUALITY CONTROL

Better you discover your ammo issues at the bench rather than at the range or in the field.

For rifle yes, either. For pistol, the dillons I have used have absolutely sucked. It was like they picked the nearest sized drill bit and said screw it. My .40 one I picked up because I was having ammo issues with a particular barrel passed literally everything. Got a Wilson, it was tight and short, and wouldn't gauge loaded ammo unless it was WELL under saami max.

Went with an egw multi caliber, it worked well. Wife got me the 50 hole gauge as a Christmas present. Totally awesome for qc.

The sloppy dillon pistol gauges I ran into in multiple calibers, and I've had a few people confirm they had similar issues. The dillon rifle gauges are good to go though.

Does anyone use something like this?

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/RCBS-Chargemaster-Combo-ScaleDisp-98923_p_17890.html

I was using the cylinder powder measure, and cant get a consistent powder flow, so I"m looking into this. Any comments on it? Anyone have one they want to sell?

Does anyone use something like this?

http://www.bigsupply...23_p_17890.html

I was using the cylinder powder measure, and cant get a consistent powder flow, so I"m looking into this. Any comments on it? Anyone have one they want to sell?

Personally i wouldn't bother with one of those.... I would get a high quality scale(if you dont have one) and a Hornady power measure or something similar. Not sure which powder measure your using but typically its the type of powder that creates inconsistency if everything is properly clean, usually stick or flake powder, and certain powder measure's handle it better/worse. What powder are you using? I also fear scales and trickling and the drift effect, if your going to trickle on a scale you better make damn sure it can handle it. Not to mention these scale can take a while to actually measure out. I use a gempro to calibrate my hornady powder drop, and it throws very accurately. I never trickle on it although it can, i always re-set the stage when i add weight. First things first, make sure that powder drop is dry! I've herd people with similar issues getting powder stuck in the drop tube which leads to throwing a light load and then a heavy load. The measuring insert can be a hassle too if its the wrong size. Too big and you maximize the surface area contact of the powder and cylinder wall, which can cut the powder inconstantly. So use the smallest insert possible.

"Do not focus so much on parts as you need to focus more on basic knowledge....prior to starting....."

+1

You shouldn't even be thinking about buying equipment until you have a thorough understanding of the process.... We can talk brand names and quality and gear all day. Don't make a list just yet, get some good re-loading literature, figure out what you want to get out of your custom cartridges. Do you plan on doing pistol and rifle? The more you know about reloading the more focused your list of equipment becomes, and you want something that will serve as an investment. You can always use a single stage press, even if you upgrade down the road to a progressive you will probably still end up using it from time to time, especially if you load rifle.

I'm not sure why people are overly concerned with starting off with a progressive press for reloading pistol rounds. A single stage or turret press may be better for high accuracy rifle rounds but can be time consuming for cranking out pistol rounds . If you shoot a reasonable amount, you'll probably end up with a progressive press at some point anyway. If new to reloading, you can start off by putting only one shellcase on the shellplate and monitor each stage until you're comfortable with each function and confirm that everything is calibrated properly. The most important stage is the powder drop. You want to pay very close attention so you don't double charge (kaboom) or under charge (squib), especially if you have to stop and restart the process if an issue pops up. You can also get a 'powder cop' type die to monitor powder drops if the press can support it. Primers can be a pain sometimes but you'll learn to 'feel' when a primer isn't seated properly and stop before you drop the powder and make a mess.

"Do not focus so much on parts as you need to focus more on basic knowledge....prior to starting....."

+1

You shouldn't even be thinking about buying equipment until you have a thorough understanding of the process.... We can talk brand names and quality and gear all day. Don't make a list just yet, get some good re-loading literature, figure out what you want to get out of your custom cartridges. Do you plan on doing pistol and rifle? The more you know about reloading the more focused your list of equipment becomes, and you want something that will serve as an investment. You can always use a single stage press, even if you upgrade down the road to a progressive you will probably still end up using it from time to time, especially if you load rifle.

What makes you think I don't understand the process? I've spent the past 6 months researching. I've gone with a RCBS single stage press b/c quality is more important to me than quantity. (Not saying you cant get quality out of progressive presses) But I'd rather start with a single stage so that I can concentrate on each task. I thought I'd be happy with the powder flow, but I find it throws inconsistent loads. I'm no pro, AT ALL, (I'm just starting out), but I'm not going to spend all this money without doing my research first. ;)

+1

1) I want to lower the cost of my ammunition, my time not being factored into the equation. I'm simply looking for less expensive target ammo. I understand it will take some time, quite a bit of time in fact, to amortize the cost of the equipment.

2) I'm only intending to do 9mm for at least 2 years. I don't envision buying any other caliber in the near future.

3) I only intend to do pistol ammo, no rifle (I don't own any) and no shotgun.