O-gre

iPhone 5

Honestly, I have been an iPhone user since the first one. I never in my life lined up for anything (except for black friday deals). I'm gonna wait until October until this iPhone madness dies down and get mine the regular way with NO LINES.

I am also a complete apple user since early 2000's and almost every release after the first iPhone there has been lines for the release of new product. I remember when best buy started carrying apple products and all the iPods flew off the shelves for almost $300 a piece(I have one of those relics).

OK I get it, apple is cool and it's always has new innovating features, but for me to line up for apple products there better be a BUY ONE GET ONE DEAL. Of course that will never happen.

I'm an apple user for life.

I was looking at the reviews and people were complaining that you can't use the nfc technology? The tap creditt card stuff with your phone. I wouldn't want that. I also don't want to tap my phone to other to share data. I just send emails. It may be great if your a kid.

I wouldn't stand on the line either. I woulda just preordered. I think Alec was smart in selling his preorder.

At least as well as android can.

Lol. I'm still rockin an iphone 3gs, but I think once this thing breaks, or I move to America, I am going back to an old school flip phone. I don't like being tracked.

I'm a Apple hater. I do not use a single Apple product (including iTunes), and likely never will. The iPhone 5 is simply playing catch-up. The screen is a bit bigger, but by no means large (nor is it the best resolution among competitors). Faster processor was expected and is now on par with competitors. They now use another proprietary charging cable, rendering all the old ones you have useless without and adapter, which Apple has offered at the gouged price of $30 each. Still no SD slot support (seriously!?).

I'm far more excited for phones like the Nokia Lumia 920. Awesome camera, smooth operating system, stock wireless charging, and plenty of room to grow. Don't get me wrong, I think Apple products are good, but more of a status symbol or a fashion accessory than serious computing tool. For the money of a MacBook, I can have a laptop built from parts which will be just as good, if not better performing than the Mac with some money still left over. Combine that with Apple's disgraceful business ethics and I see no reason to do business with them.

I'm a Apple hater. I do not use a single Apple product (including iTunes), and likely never will. The iPhone 5 is simply playing catch-up. The screen is a bit bigger, but by no means large (nor is it the best resolution among competitors). Faster processor was expected and is now on par with competitors. They now use another proprietary charging cable, rendering all the old ones you have useless without and adapter, which Apple has offered at the gouged price of $30 each. Still no SD slot support (seriously!?).

I'm far more excited for phones like the Nokia Lumia 920. Awesome camera, smooth operating system, stock wireless charging, and plenty of room to grow. Don't get me wrong, I think Apple products are good, but more of a status symbol or a fashion accessory than serious computing tool. For the money of a MacBook, I can have a laptop built from parts which will be just as good, if not better performing than the Mac with some money still left over. Combine that with Apple's disgraceful business ethics and I see no reason to do business with them.

I agree, I've played with a couple iPhones, but I'll stick with my Android phone (only 45 a month for unlimited everything), or my slide phone. Most of the iPhones features have been inspired by phones previous but rolled into one over priced, proprietary package.

I honestly see Apple trying to become a Monopoly and take over every aspect of the electronics industry, which would suck. Because Macs are a pain in the wobbly bits to upgrade, or even find compatible parts for.

Where does one get $45 a month for unlimited everything?

Wal*Mart

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/Start.do?action=view&zip=08069&locale=en&siteType=&market=GSM4SPRCO&gotoPhonelist=true

Most of the phones can only be purchased online, but you can get a couple different varieties in store. I've been using them for over two years now, and I can't complain about the service for the price.

What I find interesting about some of the points people make about Apple also apply moreso to Google. Every website you visit, every search you make, every email you send, is stored/scanned/archived/sold by Google.

I have both Windows and OSX at home, and for maintenance the Apples have been completely hands off over the years. Windows gets wiped and reinstalled at least once per year. If it was my own machine, I would not mind the Windows overhead. But factor in 3 kids, 2 sets of inlaws, and assorted other relatives, and the informal IT support shop has been in overtime. Once I switched everyone over to Apple, I may get a call once or twice per year. The Apples just work. I have been with PCs since the DOS days, the Apples just work. My mom can crash the microwave, the Apple just keeps on working.

Aaahh Walmart...a place I will never shop at. I despise that place

So do I. I just do everything over the 'net to avoid the store, since the one down here in Pennsville never has anything and their card scanners never work. It is probably one of only three stores I hate.

Wal*Mart

http://www.shopstrai...oPhonelist=true

Most of the phones can only be purchased online, but you can get a couple different varieties in store. I've been using them for over two years now, and I can't complain about the service for the price.

Thanks, did some reading. Straight Talk for Android is a non-starter for me - CDMA phones on Straight Talk uses Sprint as the carrier. Sprint's coverage for high-speed data sucks in the areas that I use my phone most. Apparently they advertise "unlimited data" but throttle/warn after 2GB/month. Contract specifies no streaming media. No picture messaging or group messaging. Also - no tethering, and I tether daily.

Nail hit on head. I present the same argument to any Apple fanboy I meet.

Apple products are a status symbol/fashion statement. Period.

From a technology standpoint, they are always inferior and obsolete to the competition.

The only thing that Steve Jobs "revolutionized" was using lawyers to create a monopoly and destroy capitalism.

Not only is ridiculous $30 adapter proprietary... everything associated with an Apple device is proprietary, and costly to it's end-user.

I feel sad for the morons who wait on line for 3 days to pay $400 for a shitty phone every 6 months.

you are funny, iPhone as a fashion accessory. I guess android people buy phones, I buy information models.

I have it for the ecosystem it gives. Its the seamless interconnectivity between the mac, ipad, and iphone where the value is. For example, my son gets a school assignment, he begins typing it on his iphone on the school bus, he comes home and continues where he left off, he then goes to a friends house and continues on the iPad. On the way home he drops the ipad, smashing it to peices, he lost nothing as he picks up where they left off back on the mac. Its the same for all our other data, text messages, documents, calendar, all shared seamlessly between all the devices.

Today only Apple gives me this. Tomorrow, if Microsoft and Google team up and offer this, I am in. Microsoft may have this on their own with Win8, I will be spending research time on this, they get it. I suppose if I was only a gamer concerned with my first person shooters, then I would care about hardware stats. Ghz on a phone does not mean anything if I can't get the connectivity I need.

Apple provides that at the cost of product diversity. There are so many different Android products out there built for different purposes and at different price points for people who want some features and don't want to have to pay for ones they won't use. Same goes for Windows. Windows offers a diversity of variations to meet different purposes, especially in the business world, while remaining cost effective. It should also be noted that iOS 9 was a disaster and Apple had to resort to a modified Unix operating system to attain some level of reliability.

Again, Apple is good. They offer products that are decent and work well together. But they abhor the idea of competition and will make sure that you stick with them by making their products proprietary and suing competition for ideas they themselves stole. Even if there was clear and diffinitive proof that their products were the be all end all, I still wouldn't buy from them because of their disgraceful business ethics/practices.

I agree with your points, a great discussion topic. One is not forced to buy Apple or Microsoft. In my case I have to support many family members, and Apple simplifies this for me. To some extent is why I try not to use Google products due to their business practices. This is why I am very interested in what Microsoft is doing with version 8.

A certain amount of revisionist history going on here. When Apple first came out with the iPhone.. and especially the 3G version it was way ahead of it's time. Look at the market at the time: Blackberry, and Windows mobile were it. You certainly can't say "From a technology standpoint, they are always inferior and obsolete to the competition." At that time Apple was revolutionary with the iPhone. The market place is much more competitive now, mainly due to Android.. but lets give credit where it's due.

Note: I'm an iPhone user.. have had a 3G and 4. I'm hardly a Fanboi.. I want android and the other hardware vendors to succeed since I believe competition drives innovation. As for the iPhone 5.. I may upgrade, I may not. I certainly won't be waiting in a line just to get the one first. Absolutely no desire.

I agree with your points, a great discussion topic. One is not forced to buy Apple or Microsoft. In my case I have to support many family members, and Apple simplifies this for me. To some extent is why I try not to use Google products due to their business practices. This is why I am very interested in what Microsoft is doing with version 8.

So wait.. you won't use Google because of their business practices but you can't wait to see what Microsoft is doing??? I think my head just exploded.

Thanks, did some reading. Straight Talk for Android is a non-starter for me - CDMA phones on Straight Talk uses Sprint as the carrier. Sprint's coverage for high-speed data sucks in the areas that I use my phone most. Apparently they advertise "unlimited data" but throttle/warn after 2GB/month. Contract specifies no streaming media. No picture messaging or group messaging. Also - no tethering, and I tether daily.

I racked up well over 2GB one month, and was never throttled. Speed stayed the same throughout the month. No idea what tethering is, so I can't speak on that, but I did picture messaging on the regular and never got a message saying I couldn't do it. And I would send out a weekly group message for airsoft never had a problem everyone got the message.

I can actually tell you streaming is going to end for Android, at least until they gain HTML 5 compatibility, but I don't know when thats going to happen. I know youtube worked for me, as well as several, uh, other streaming websites.