acuevo

NJGF music thread

saw the car thread and thought, why not? i'm a mechanic and have since fallen out of love with cars.

i realize a list of everyones favorite bands may get rather long so lets keep it to top 5 favorite bands and why. doesn't have to be in any order. also if your a musician, share that with us too.

me i play guitar, drumset, bass, a little bit of keyboard/piano and years ago i played alto sax in middle school. i also pretend that i can sing.

Rush - listened to them a lot while learning guitar. they have a new sound every album, but still their own. theyre also coming up on 40 years without a line up change

Pain of Salvation - great prog metal band from sweeden. their writing is simply genious, if your a musician and like dark beautiful melodies check them out. they are an aquired taste but it is worth it

Tool - more writing genious. their music is always surreal and textural. also dark which i love.

Coheed and Cambria - a modern band that breaks away from the cookie cutter rock bands of today. they have prog elements but still keep things farily simple. awesome live band too.

Dream Theater - i have a love/hate relationship with them. i played them WAY to much when i was younger, but there is a reason i did that. they are very good :D

I feel your pain, started working in the car business in 1975 cause I loved cars, still in the business (doing something I never imagined I would be doing) and I hate cars more today then yesterday :-)

So............Lately I've been listening to Outlaw Country on the satellite radio.

Found some groups I hadn't heard in a while and connected with some newer groups.

The Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash. Gotta love the name and it's good old fashion rock a billy.

Joey & Rory. Just fun old school country(?)

Rockpile (Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe) British '80s Rock a Billy at it's finest.

Shooter Jennings. Just wants makes me want to grab a beer.

Saved my newest favorite for last,

Aaron Lewis. I know country music isn't everyone's cup of tea but you've got to check out Country Boy,

(it pretty much sums me up)

Ive been thinking about this for a while now, and still cant really narrow it down to only 5 bands, so Im gonna cheat allitle and group bands with some of the same members together.

Opeth - Prob my favorite band, dont even know how to describe them, progressive death metal I guess. The vocal capabilities of the singer, the changes in the music, going from soft acoustics to really heavy and back again all in the same song.

Black Label Society - Another great guitarist/vocalist/pianist (Zakk Wylde) If you havent listened to them before your missing out.

Tool & A Perfect Circle - Really needs no explaination

Pantera & Down - Grew up listening to them, I love Phils vocal style, and Pantera had one of the greatest guitarists of all time (RIP Dime)

Children of Bodom - Just some great Finnish melodeath

I play a little guitar so I have a tendency to favor heavily guitar infused music, so here goes:

Tony MacAlpine: A great neo classical rock guitarist (and classical pianist). I especially like his earliest work in Edge of Insanity and Maximum Security.

Rush: Definitely a great band. I like most of their music, but I prefer their earliest work though, up to and including their "Hemispheres" album.

Dokken: Probably my favorite 80's hair band overall. Since I'm a big George Lynch fan, that probably has a lot to do with it. I didn't think that they had gotten the musical recognition that they deserved compared to others of that era (cough, poison, skid row, etc. cough).

RATT: Another of my fav's from the 80's. Not crazy about Pearcy's singing skill, but loved the guitar work by DeMartini and Crosby.

Fifth Angel: Mostly unheard of, especially when compared to the "well known" groups of the 80's but blew most of them away, IMO. They were way WAY under the musical recognition radar. Anyone who likes 80's hard rock type music needs to hear these guys.

Man, way to make this a tough one. Ugh... I'll give it a shot.

Cro-Mags - This is the band that made American hardcore what it is today. They're the ones that took the punk rock roots and addedsome metal flavorings. Amazing band if you like good old school hardcore.

Gaelic Storm - Irish rock band. Fun to listen to when you're down the pub.

Toots and the Maytals - Fun old school Reggae

Rancid - Quintessential Punk Rock band

Digable Planets - Awesome hip hop group from the early/mid 90's.

I'm a musician (guitarist), ao I listen to EVERYTHING.... except 99% of rap, and about 90% of hip-hop. Music is like food to me, I just keep on ingesting it.

Rock-Blues-Country-Jazz-Swing-Classical.... you name it, it's probably on my ipod.

And not just modern- everything from 20's Louisiana Jazz to Foo Fighters.

I do have a special nostalgia for the 80's hair band/metal scene, because I was IN it...back when I had a hell of alot more hair. Some great guitar playing came out of that era.

This list should make some people jump to conclusions about me...

Rammstein - Great mostly german heavy metal

Ministry - Great Industrial political metal

Pantera - Just great, I also liked Damageplan wich is uncomon among Pantera fans

Pink Floyd - Each and every song

Clutch - Great jam band, I prefer to see them live. They plat the starland quite often.

Ken

I think The Stones are my only real favorite "band" I like too many stuff from too many different genres to answer easily. My music collection contains everything from The Stones and Beatles to Metallica , to Ella Fitzgerald , to Ziggy Marley and everything in between.

Steely Dan. Just about the best mix of jazz and lyrics about illicit drugs and alcohol. The music of my youth.

The Clash.Waking up in the MUDD club's unisex restroom with "Rock the Casbah" ringing in your ears sorta stays with you.

Fishbone. Love me my Ska.

Coltrane. Lush life...Listen to it twice and you'll get it.

Pat Metheny. Any more chill and you would be deceased.

Coheed and Cambria - Their new album The Afterman: Asscension is awesome. And IMO everything they've done so far has been solid work (yes I even like Year of the Black Rainbow).

Rush - Seen 'em twice. Love Hemispheres, Counter Parts, Snakes and Arrows and Clock Work Angels.

Shearwater - Don't really know how to describe these guys. They're good.

Queensryche - First concert. Grew up listening to Rage for Order, Operation Mindcrime, and Empire.

Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer - Yup.

It's impossible to pick 5 favorite, However these are 5 bands I was listening to quite a bit while on vacation last weekend

#1 August Burns Red (great driving fast music...which is what i did all weekend)

#2 Killswitch Engauge

#3 I Set my Friends On Fire (soo damn catchy)

#4. Parkway Drive

#5 Chromeo (yea thats right.seeing them live for the 3rd time later this month too)

Man, way to make this a tough one. Ugh... I'll give it a shot.

Cro-Mags - This is the band that made American hardcore what it is today. They're the ones that took the punk rock roots and addedsome metal flavorings. Amazing band if you like good old school hardcore.

Gaelic Storm - Irish rock band. Fun to listen to when you're down the pub.

Toots and the Maytals - Fun old school Reggae

Rancid - Quintessential Punk Rock band

Digable Planets - Awesome hip hop group from the early/mid 90's.

We're gonna get along just fine...

Misfits-horror punk from NJ (Danzig was their original singer for those not familiar with them)

The Clash-the only band that matters

Hank 3-son of JR, grandson of SR...does honky tonk, punk rock, & metal

Portishead-only their album "Dummy"...great trip-hop

Ghost-newer old-style metal band from Sweeden...like Blue Oyster Cult meets Black Sabbath meets Mercyful Fate

I went to college on a classical piano scholarship, while playing metal/punk guitar throughout high school, now playing in a Muse-like band. My taste ranges from Slayer to Mozart. Weird.

Rush - Seen 'em twice. Love Hemispheres, Counter Parts, Snakes and Arrows and Clock Work Angels.

dude what years did you see rush? i saw them in 2004 and 2010 both at the tweeter center (or whatever they're calling it now). unfortunately won't be able to see them there this friday :(

have you seen coheed live yet? i have 3 times and met them back in 09. they signed my les paul... but i was so awkward i couldn't even speak lol! we should hit one of their shows next time they come around. and props on digging year of the black rainbow.. there are some solid songs on there... but then others that are just bleh. have yet to get the new one, just came out like today didn't it? or last week, i dunno but the two songs i've heard from it are great.

dude what years did you see rush? i saw them in 2004 and 2010 both at the tweeter center (or whatever they're calling it now). unfortunately won't be able to see them there this friday :(

have you seen coheed live yet? i have 3 times and met them back in 09. they signed my les paul... but i was so awkward i couldn't even speak lol! we should hit one of their shows next time they come around. and props on digging year of the black rainbow.. there are some solid songs on there... but then others that are just bleh. have yet to get the new one, just came out like today didn't it? or last week, i dunno but the two songs i've heard from it are great.

07 and 09 for Rush. Still have the tour shirt from the S Center (back when it was the Tweeter Center) and I have the tour book from 09 from the Wachovia around here some where with the ticket still in the cover. I just hope it didn't get lost when we moved a couple years ago. Haven't seen Coheed yet, I wanted to see them open for Maiden, but ended up going to the S Center and seeing Maiden and Cooper. I'd definitely be up to seeing Coheed and Cambria live. Now that I'm making money, I can acutally do fun stuff again.

The afterman: Ascension is solid. Sentry Defiant isn't on there though. Thats going to be on the next album in February. But the entire album is solid. My favorite songs so far on the Album are The Hollow, Domino the Destitute, The Afterman and Entity Key Extraction II: Vic the Butcher.

Creepy, awesome song.

This list should make some people jump to conclusions about me...

Rammstein - Great mostly german heavy metal

Ministry - Great Industrial political metal

Pantera - Just great, I also liked Damageplan wich is uncomon among Pantera fans

Pink Floyd - Each and every song

Clutch - Great jam band, I prefer to see them live. They plat the starland quite often.

Ken

I think we would get along fine.

I've been lucky too have seen these bands at least twice. In the case of Clutch and Ministry, double digits.

This is a topic that for me, I always find impossible to do because I have an eclectic taste in music. But here it goes;(of course it can and will change with the weather)

Led Zep- no explanation needed

Metallica- and others of the same genre from the early '80's defined thrash metal

Nine Inch Nails- My favorite band lucky to have 1st seen them in '91 at Lollapalooza and 18 times from '05-'09

Public Enemy- at their prime the best (IMHO) rap band around

Tori Amos-allowed me to listen to and enjoy music that was not "normal" for me at the time

All of these artists have one way or another helped branch out my taste in music/

Whitechapel, Between the Buried and Me - both good for general listening. Whitechapel is just heavy while BTBAM is more interesting and progressive. They knocked Opeth out of my heavy rotatation.

Lamb of God, Chimaira, As I Lay Dying - good workout music. They're all mid-tempo, heavy stuff.

I like the August Burns Red mentioned earlier...they just don't have enough variation in their songs to make my top five (EDIT: same for Parkway Drive). And Dillinger Escape Plan and Strapping Young Lad make honorable mention if I'm looking for something off-beat.

Wow i like a lot of different music... Here are a few artists on my ipod playlist... (as you can tell i love 90s rock/alt)

No particular order...

Nirvana

Tool

Incubus

Foo Fighters

FIlter

Better than Ezra

Sound Garden

Stabbing Westward

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Metalica

Nine inch Nails

Offspring

Pear Jam

Seven Dust

Silverchair

Green Day

Deftones

Bush

Alice in Chains

Korn

Limp B

Some punk/ska too (from my skater days lol)

Goldfinger

Pennywise

Catch22

NoFX

Lagwagen

Rancid

Less than Jake

i know im missing some...

Also like some rap, but rarely listen anymore..

Mostly older stuff like Jay Z/Biggie

Top 5 is really hard for me. I guess:

Obviously Pantera is my favorite hence the name. This is the band that got me into metal and I havent looked back.

Lamb of God- The greatest metal band out right now. Ranks up there with pantera and slayer all time.

Machinehead- probally the most underrated metal band out there and that makes me like them even more. If you havent head the blackening, your seriously missing out.

BLS- Zakk Wylde- This dude serioulsy has more talent in his left nut than 99% of the musicians out there and I love his take no shit attitude!

Throwdown- I just cant get enough of these guys. They started out sounding like hatebreed but have progressed into metal and now REALLY reming me of pantera which is great in my book.

Honorable mention would be:

5 finger death punch

All that remains

hatebreed

trivium

chimaira

killswitch engage etc etc

Steely Dan. Just about the best mix of jazz and lyrics about illicit drugs and alcohol. The music of my youth.

Pat Metheny. Any more chill and you would be deceased.

Amen to Steely Dan

And check out Pat here with the Goddess, live in 1975 from "Shadows and Light"