Handyman

EFGA or Cherry Ridge?

Easton. Cherry Ridge might have a 200 and 300 yard range, but I don't like having to wait to change targets, especially when changing between pistol and rifle ranges (which ends up being an hour because you have to wait to get your target frame, and then go to the pistol range and wait to set up your target frame). I don't like having to bring target frames in the first place. In Easton you can set up targets at 25, 50 and 100 yards all at once, Cherry Ridge you can't do that. Cherry Ridge doesn't have a freestyle range which is much more fun to shoot pistol. People just seem more relaxed in Easton.

Not sure how much Cherry Ridge costs but EFGA is a $30 one time initiation fee and $30 for the whole year. You can also purchase a guest pass for $30 that is good for the whole year as well. I believe the membership runs Januray 1 to December 31 so you may just want to wait until January to join.

i thought easton membership went to 65 initial and 35 renewal.. I was a member for a year there , just a little to far from me.The training range is great there . i like being able to do holster work and closer to real life shooting for SD . I may have to join again hmmm

Cherry ridge is i believe 240 initial and 200 renewal. Way to many competitions there ,weekends are crowded, plus the comps closing down ranges to the majority of the members ,except those that may be in the comp.

Not sure how much Cherry Ridge costs but EFGA is a $30 one time initiation fee and $30 for the whole year. You can also purchase a guest pass for $30 that is good for the whole year as well. I believe the membership runs Januray 1 to December 31 so you may just want to wait until January to join.

Cherry ridge is pricey but they have longer rifle range and more ports. I'm not a member at cherry ridge, but I am a member at EFGA. I can't complain about EFGA since both are about the same distance to me. I payed of total for this year is $90 for my membership and a guest pass and I brought 7people as of this month. Now if I did that at cherry ridge that 7 times $25 per guest and $260 for the wife and I plus $25 each guest?...

I'm sure I will be a member at cherry ridge as well when I get that hard urge to shoot at longer distances.

Looks like I might lean toward EFGA. Not only can't I shoot 300 yards, I'm not sure I can see that far!

What do I need to bring for targets? Do they have frames or do you build your own? If they have frames, what do you bring? Staple gun, cardboard and targets?

At the Pistol range or Rifle range? Just bring stapler and your own paper targets. You can bring metal targets but I was told it has to be at the 100 yards distance. You can't bring any exploding targets or targets that break into pieces.

Thanks Clintoon, that sounds pretty good.

I see that they often don't have a range officer - any concerns with safety?

Your are welcome.

I only have seen range officers on the weekends, usually everybody communicates at the range when to go cold or go hot. We never had a miscommunication, rule of thumb is whoever gets to the range first becomes the RO, and it just gets passed down.

Visit EFGA.net

Thanks Clintoon, that sounds pretty good.

I see that they often don't have a range officer - any concerns with safety?

The shooter that was first acts as a range officer as per rules if no RO is present.

A lot of people volunteer to be an RO for a day but in general the members police themselves.

You should check the place out first to see if you like it. Watch the speed limit getting there . if it says 25 it means 25mph.

Watch the speed limit getting there . if it says 25 it means 25mph.

Ummmm DamjanBlues, did the PO-PO catch you speeding? I actually saw a cop at the cornfield right after the last underpass before you get to the range, he was well hidden too. I just had a gut feeling that day. Last Thursday I saw another cop coming up that same stretch of road. I'm really surprised that they would be around that area.

Ummmm DamjanBlues, did the PO-PO catch you speeding? I actually saw a cop at the cornfield right after the last underpass before you get to the range, he was well hidden too. I just had a gut feeling that day. Last Thursday I saw another cop coming up that same stretch of road. I'm really surprised that they would be around that area.

The large number of Jersey plates coming and going from EFGA represents a tempting target for revenue.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

When i was wrapping up pistol , i think 2-3 saturdays ago , may have been the same day you were there local cop cruised around EFGA and then went ahead of me speeding. Waited or me at the corn field near the underpass and then followed me for 2 miles waiting for me to speed u or make a mistake before he have up.

Key is to do 25mph and stop before every stop sign there.

Lot of NJ plates=$$$$$$ as NJ Scott outlines above

... have been the same day you were there local cop cruised around EFGA and then went ahead of me speeding. Waited or me at the corn field near the underpass and then followed me for 2 miles .

Side question. Have you heard of/tried Waze (www.waze.com)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at pics on EFGA's website. It looks like a lot of the targets are solid sheets of plywood? They must get shot to pieces. Do you just bring targets and a staple gun?

They are usually good with switching out the ply wood, I never had problems and they always have tons of card boards to post up your targets at the pistol range.

Easton has too many people,  sometimes must wait hours to shoot.

Ha, ha, ha.....I don't think I've ever waited for a port at the pistol range.  Few times it has been nearly deserted.   Maybe at the rifle range you may have to wait but I don't have a rife (yet).  I've only been a member for a little less than a year but I enjoy it there.  Nice people....despite all of us "Jerseyeans'.....As a matter of fact, I don't think I've met anyone who lives in PA there!  LOL.

But really, for the price you can't do wrong.  I've never been to Cherry Ridge though so I can't compare.

The difference in membership fee is quite large. CR is a bit kooky about family memberships as well. For example, it doesn't cover my 22-year-old daughter. Obamacare covers her until she's 26 :) Maybe the Prez should open a range. 

From the photos EFGA seems like a nice place, but CR is as beautiful as you'll get in NJ. Wide open, lots of places to shoot. Two weeks ago I was not happy with two individuals on the pistol range, so I went over to the .22 range. 

I've never had a problem with an RO at Cherry Ridge, either. Not all are as friendly as Ed and Earl, but nobody's ever busted my balls either.