RedRiverII

Clay semi auto

Red I wish you would have shot my m2, but I believe you did shoulder it; I use it specifically for hunting. It's light and quick to point as you held it. For trap and sporting clays I use my 30" cordoba friggin love this gun, next shot shoot I'm going to bring the m2 and cordoba! I personally would recommend a benelli or the beretta, benellis are machines I own 5 so far.... Good luck with knee surgery!Rob

I never thought I would be interested in shooting clays, but having tried it a couple of times at Thunder Mountain, I can understand the attraction. Both times I was there, I used their guns, which they provide at no extra charge with the purchase of a box of ammo. Thinking it might be more fun to have my own gun, I bought a 28" barrel for my Mossberg 500, but it turned out it would not fit with my 7 round mag tube. So I inquired of Mossberg, and was told I would need to switch out the mag tube as well. At that point I thought it would be easier to just get a new gun and return the barrel.

I've read that semiautos are not looked upon favorably at some ranges, because they eject the shells into the other shooters. And there's no way I'm spending the two grand plus for an O/U. So I bought another Mossberg 500, this one with a 28" barrel. It should be OK for trap and skeet, but could be tough if I ever get around to trying doubles. It only cost around $300, so I'm trying to decide if I made a prudent purchase, or if I'm just a big loser.

BTW, I've been looking for a reason to buy a semi, but I just did not realize they were acceptable for shooting clays. So much to learn, so little time. :)

I never thought I would be interested in shooting clays, but having tried it a couple of times at Thunder Mountain, I can understand the attraction. Both times I was there, I used their guns, which they provide at no extra charge with the purchase of a box of ammo. Thinking it might be more fun to have my own gun, I bought a 28" barrel for my Mossberg 500, but it turned out it would not fit with my 7 round mag tube. So I inquired of Mossberg, and was told I would need to switch out the mag tube as well. At that point I thought it would be easier to just get a new gun and return the barrel.

I've read that semiautos are not looked upon favorably at some ranges, because they eject the shells into the other shooters. And there's no way I'm spending the two grand plus for an O/U. So I bought another Mossberg 500, this one with a 28" barrel. It should be OK for trap and skeet, but could be tough if I ever get around to trying doubles. It only cost around $300, so I'm trying to decide if I made a prudent purchase, or if I'm just a big loser.

BTW, I've been looking for a reason to buy a semi, but I just did not realize they were acceptable for shooting clays. So much to learn, so little time. :)

That is simply an urban legend, I suspect spawned and fueled by internet forums. It is usually the careless attitude of the shooter that draws stares or frowns, not the long arm that is brought to the range. I've never seen anyone turn their nose up on someone who has something "different." Most trap shooters are more perturbed when their cadence is upset by a newbie on the line who doesn't know how to load his gun.

I shoot skeet at Thunder Mountain, once or twice in pre-season I'll shoot trap, and my guess is O/U's account for 50% of the shooters, semi-auto's account for 40%, and the remainder are the serious single-barrel trap fellows. I see lots of pump-actions on the trap field, but a few hardcore shooters with a pump on the skeet field who can actually shoot competitively. Occasionally one or two shooters show up with a S/S.

The Remington Mod. 11 (Browning A5 in disguise) won a lot of national championships on the skeet field in the pre-war days. When it was followed by the softer shooting gas-operated 1100's in the 60's, these became the hot guns for skeet and trap on the shooting circuit for quite a while. I don't think anyone was complaining about getting hit by empties back then.

A true ATA layout for trap has each shooter spaced 3 yds. apart behind the trap house when shooting at 16 yds. Getting hit with an empty thrown from a semi-auto is an uncommon occurrence at that distance. Sometimes it's the fault of the range you are shooting at. It's not uncommon to go to ranges and see them cheat the distance on their layout when space is at a premium.

Could also be that they don't pick up their hulls afterwards.

At cj, the I maybe 5% unsingle barrel guys as yet are not the best. Usually the only time the really good guys bring the single barrel out is for skap. Skap is a mi of sleet an trap. Has some really long shots.

In trap, you can easily rock a pump. I've used a pump shooting sporting clays. It can b so e but its a little harder to focus in the second shot as your eyes come off the clay when pumping.

I will be honest assay that I prefer a o/u but that is me. It's simple and I like simple. The semi I tried didn't work out buy I was jut getting into clays and didn't know much.

As I get better, I will venture back to try one. For now, I stick with what I working for me.

On the flip side, I think I woul prefer a pump in trap over a semi. You can control the shell coming out of the gun and the pump is cheaper.

if I had a $ 2000 budget id go o/u.you can get a 1100 for under $1000 what game are you going to shoot. trap shooters dont like autos when people dont use shell catchers ,nobody likes the distraction of being pelted with empties while on the line.the only advantage to the 1187 is the ability to use 3'' shells for hunting

Could also be that they don't pick up their hulls afterwards.

There are some clubs that deter you from picking up your empties, as it distracts from the tempo. And some people don't pick them up anyway.

I went down this road less than a year ago. Now I have both a semi and an O/U and each has their advantages. My son uses the semi.

My first clay gun was a beretta 391. Is cheaper, has much less recoil and is more versatile than an O/U. Save the money until you are sure you are really into this sport.

There are a couple of things to note about clay guns. these days 30 inch are longer are the norm for trap and sporting clays. Skeet is shorter but 30 inch is the typical length.

A field gun will work, not it is not the same as a clay gun. a clay gun has changeable chokes and is heavier and has a midbead - all important for clays

there are some people who get irrated by the flying shells coming out of a semi at trap. Therefore if you are going to get a semi, geet one that has a t and s shell catcher available

http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/

they work great

if I had a $ 2000 budget id go o/u.you can get a 1100 for under $1000 what game are you going to shoot. trap shooters dont like autos when people dont use shell catchers ,nobody likes the distraction of being pelted with empties while on the line.the only advantage to the 1187 is the ability to use 3'' shells for hunting

Well, I've shot skeet and trap since I was fifteen, so that's 42 years ago, and I've yet to be hit by an empty thrown from a semi-auto. I must duck well. Been hit be a few incoming clay bits though. They're harder to see.

The 1187 offers some advantages. It has a more forgiving gas system, a stainless steel magazine tube, and an extractor that's 30% larger than a standard 2 3/4" 1100. (3" 1100's do have the larger extractor.)

There may also be some secret satisfaction in shooting trap better with a $300 Remington pump than some guy with a $10000 Krieghoff. :)

Rudy Etchen used one (870) for years. Probably the greatest trapshooter in his day. He was the first to break 100 straight in DOUBLES at the Grand American Handicap. Some background on Rudy: http://www.joeletchenguns.com/pump.htm

There may also be some secret satisfaction in shooting trap better with a $300 Remington pump than some guy with a $10000 Krieghoff. :)

Certain guns were made for certain things. A HD shotty could work for clays, but its not the best tool for the job. Just like a hunting shotty could work for HD but again, its not the best tool for the job. A good shooter will out perform a poor shooter no matter the equipment. So my best advice is to buy the correct tool and practice. You dont have to spend $10000 to get the right tool. And sometimes the cheap stuff works better. I think most of the people that were at the meetup would agree that I don't have the most expensive shotgun, but I can sure as hell knock some clays out of the sky. O/U, semis, pump, they all do the same thing. Pick one that is comfortable to you and practice with it.

Certain guns were made for certain things. A HD shotty could work for clays, but its not the best tool for the job. Just like a hunting shotty could work for HD but again, its not the best tool for the job. A good shooter will out perform a poor shooter no matter the equipment. So my best advice is to buy the correct tool and practice. You dont have to spend $10000 to get the right tool. And sometimes the cheap stuff works better. I think most of the people that were at the meetup would agree that I don't have the most expensive shotgun, but I can sure as hell knock some clays out of the sky. O/U, semis, pump, they all do the same thing. Pick one that is comfortable to you and practice with it.

Agreed. If you already have a home defense gun though, buying the right barrel for it is a cheaper entry into trap. If you have a Remington 870 Express, Remmy makes the 870 Wingmaster Trap. You can simply buy the high rib barrel and effectively have two guns in one without having spent more than $200.

Rudy Etchen used one (870) for years. Probably the greatest trapshooter in his day. He was the first to break 100 straight in DOUBLES at the Grand American Handicap. Some background on Rudy: http://www.joeletchenguns.com/pump.htm

Another great article. Thanks Kevin.

There are some clubs that deter you from picking up your empties, as it distracts from the tempo. And some people don't pick them up anyway.

As you rack the slide open, it's easy to take the shell out then have it extract. Also, not shooters will pick them up after the round if the extract.

I have one fly by me every now as then. It happens.

I couldn't help myself. I bought a humpback. 3" magnun and just went to CJRPC. I had to fart around with it for a while but I got it to cycle 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz shells. Of course I shot a load of 3" mags as well.
post a pic red!

I have a CZ 712 I got new for around $450 with 5 choke tubes. It fed target loads perfectly right out of the box and I've had a lot of fun with it so far.

One thing to keep in mind is that there aren't many aftermarket add-ons for CZ, if you're into that sort of thing.

my friend got hit 6 times in one round tonight from a berretta auto a simple shell catcher would have prevented it

Tell your friend next time to stand next to the guy with the factory 1100 trap gun if it's a semi-auto. They're set up to not throw empties nine feet into the adjacent shooter, but dump them lazily to the right and slightly behind the shooter.

PS - ATA rules state that "all guns used by contestants must be equipped, fitted and utilized so as not to eject empty shells in a manner that substantially disturbs or interferes with other contestants." Clubs enforce them in league play, while some don't during regular practice sessions.

I shoot clays with an M500 sometimes. IMHO, if you take the money you would spend on a new gun, and use it to buy shells to practice with your 590, you will get better than you ever will with a semi-auto.

I was able to blast the hell out of some clays with a Remington 870 Express Mag, but couldn't hit crap with a semi-auto. Personally I think that with NJ's restrictions on shell capacity, a semi auto may be a little tough to use for clays. I assume the only time you would really need rapid fire would be if you're trying to hit a lot of shells all at one time. Otherwise I would think a pump, or even a double barrel would suffice. Last time I went some guys were shooting clays with a double barrel, they were good as hell, a few times they shot 3 clays out of the air.

I crack plenty of clay with my workhorse Browning Silver. You can crack as many clays with a $500-$1000 gun as you can a $100k gun. That said, figure out which shoulders well for you and get that. I find the beretta a little slimmer and the browning a little fatter in the grip. I like the action on the Browning over the Beretta.

Either way, get a 28 or 20 inch barrel for clay and a few chokes. Also, a shell catcher will help you remain friends with people at the trap range. I pelted a kid in the head with my brass last time, now I have a catcher!

I don't really shoot the fancy trap or skeet or any of that stuff, I shoot clays at a WMA range and go to Lehigh Valley Clays once a year.

With that said, it's mostly the shooter, NOT the gun...as per RobertJames and pbKid stating this earlier in this thread (and thank you for the compliments!) There are guys with $3k shotguns and can't shoot 3 clays in a row, while you have other people who murder a full day of clays with a regular pump gun.

And I will tell you one thing, the huge smile I get when outshooting guys at Lehigh Valley Clays with those couple thousand dollar shotguns and my $219 Maverick 88 pump is priceless.