RoxyTJ

Hello! Total Newbie here.

Hi Everyone! I am totally new to guns and shooting. I shot a shotgun for the first time in my life last month at Colliers Mills during the Wild Outdoor Expo and that was it - I was hooked! Since then I've shot an air rifle a couple of times and it seems that I'm pretty good. So now I'm trying to learn what ever I can.

I am thinking about going to Shore Shot Friday evening to check it out. Do they mind if I just show up to see what it is all about? I am so new to this that I don't really know what I want to shoot - handgun or shotgun or both. Any advice?

I have submitted my paperwork and got fingerprinted for my FID card in Jackson and the woman told me yesterday that everything was good to go but now my folder had to "go upstairs" and wait for signature. What ever that means. So we'll see how long this takes.

In the meantime, I would like to learn about the different types and disciplines.

Welcome to the sport! I don't see why they would mind if you came down, but I would recommend you taking an NRA Basic Pistol or Shotgun class first. Most of them go over a bit of range etiquette, safe handling and live fire portions, to get you acclimated to a new experience.

As for types and disciplines, do you have any specific questions in mind?

Absolutely head to Shore Shot. Good people on the counter, and there are 2 instructors/range officers working in the range on Friday should you decide to shoot. Try and remember that Friday night is one of their busiest nights. There is a lull around dinner time (6-7:30) and wait time will be a lot less than say 8:00.

Welcome!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. I plan on taking a beginner course. That is one reason I was thinking of going down to Shore Shot to check it out and ask about their course(s).

I've been reading through this site and boy, have I learned a lot! Thanks everyone!!!!

Welcome.

1. Please join the NRA. NJ2AS. When and if you can. If you already have congratulations. Check out the Events section, we had a great time recently with shotguns. Basic NRA courses are plentiful and a great way to become serious and safe. Safety is first. Then you will need a safe after you realize what you got yourself into.

Hey welcome from another jacksonite. The police were backed up or so they say so it might take a while to get your Id. Did you apply for pistol permits also if you didn't see if you can add a few to your application they are only 2 dollars a peice and are good for 180 days ( 90 plus a 90 day extension) I would get at least two that way if you want to buy a pistol you will have the permit unstead of having to reapply for them

I've heard that Jackson is way behind on the ID's. I know someone who has been waiting 7 MONTHS now for his card (address change) from Jackson. I sure hope it doesn't take that long but it doesn't look good. Anyway, yes, I did put in for one pistol permit as well.