Josh S

When's a good time to start?

My daughter is gonna be 5 soon, and I want to start her early with firearms. I have what I think is a pretty good way to introduce her to them. A plan to make sure she knows how to be safe, respect, properly handal, and understand that what they are is a tool; and not a toy. I was just interested on how most of you started your children, or was introduced yourself? As of right now she don't even know I own any.

It's never too early to teach the Eddie Eagle program. My boys (8, 5, and almost 2) love the video, and once they are old enough to recite those 4 things back (Stop. Don't touch. Leave the area. Tell an adult.), then it's time to move onto Cooper's 4 rules of gun safety. As for introducing them to the actual firearms, I started with a gas airsoft gun first and once I felt comfortable that they were listening to instructions well enough, I let them handle the real things (unloaded, of course).

My 8 year old still hasn't gone shooting yet, because he doesn't follow directions to my satisfaction. He's getting better though, so I imagine I'll take him soon.

Every kid is different, so like this_is_nascar said, only you will know for sure when she's ready.

My father started me when I was 8 with a bolt-action, single-shot .22.

I started my youngest at 5 with a bolt-action Savage Arms .22. Now he's six. He's safe, but a horrible shot. We're working on it.

I started my oldest when he was 6 on a bolt-action, single shot Davy Cricket. He's 9 years old now and shooting a Full-Sized .45 Caliber 1911. We are not talking teacup-sized groups here, but he's in the Q. We will work on combat reloads and shooting from barriers next. It took 3 years to get him to this point.

As for "How" you teach them... well first off, wait until spring and go to an outdoor range. Go through the drive-though at McDonald's afterwards. You want their first experience to be a positive one, and what can be better than a few hours in the outdoors alone with dad and some Chicken Nuggets afterwards. Bring snacks and water or juice boxes with you.

Indoor ranges are too loud and they don't have the right sized booths for little shooters. Outdoor ranges are perfect for starting them in the sitting position or prone.

I would also suggest stressing safety first. Once they can memorize the 4 rules, then they are ready.

Watch them like hawks. You don't get to shoot unless somebody else is standing over them. Don't have another adult around? Then you don't get to shoot.

Get them their own rifle case, range bag and cleaning kit. They shot it. They clean it.

I also don't let my kids play with toy guns, not even at someone else's house. They know not to point a gun at somebody else, toy or not, ever.

If you are interested in having her try out a .22 to see if she likes it, you are more than willing to come as guests up to Ft. Dix with my son and I when we go. PM me if you are interested. But like I said, wait for a warm day. You want it to be a positive experience.

The NRA and doctors say do not let then shoot centerfire until at least 8 years old when the ears are fully developed. Have her start now with a 22 rifle and wear two sets of hearing protection, Foam plugs and muffs. Her head is much smaller so invest in a set of peltor youth muffs and youth safety glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Junior-Earmuff-Blue/dp/B0015UX2EK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351784928&sr=8-1&keywords=youth+ear+muffs

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-T-10-Shooting-Glasses-Clear/dp/B000F7T554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351784972&sr=8-1&keywords=youth+safety+glasses

This is how we do it at the school and how I started my kids.

Ant

Thanks for the great advice gentlemen.

She might be getting a Daisy for Christmas if mom permits it. She's afraid I might make her a tomboy lol but she's def a daddy's girl

Great, teach her now that whenever she picks up that Daisy the safety glasses go on.

My dad started by showing us his rifles when he would clean them...He would show us how to disassemble, clean oil and let us help him all while talking about safety. This way we would handle them and get that part out of our system. I think he started us at the range when we were about 10 or so...I don't remember shooting the pistols till I was very comfortable with the rifles...

For me it was 4 years old. My dad held the bore/front stock from behind me. And also taught his version of the rules at the time. All guns are always loaded, more people are killed by unloaded guns, never let the barrel point at anything you don't want to destroy, don't touch them without my permission, and never pull a gun or a knife unless you intend to use it, never use it unless you intend to kill.

Not exactly Jeff Cooper, and I don't teach the rules the same way today LOL, but it was the 70s in Jersey so not that bad of a start for a 4-year old.

I got started ad 5 with a singel shot air rifle, once I learned the fundamentals well I graduated to a .22 at 7. By 10 I was shooting the .22 in our backyard range unsupervised and was shooting .410s at the clay range. At 12 i got my hunting licenses and mowed all my neighbors lawns to get enough cash to give to my dad to buy me (straw purchase i know lol) a 20 gauge. By 13 i had saved enough for a 12 gauge as well. I dont think its ever to young to start to teach them the basic fundamentals of shooting its a great sport for kids to learn it teaches them discipline. I really wish more parents taught their kids to shoot and to respect firearms at a young age it may have prevented some shootings or accidental discharges later on in life when they find dads shoty under the bed when looking for presents or something.