With all the reports coming in about criminals actually traveling to get to nice neighborhoods to do their deeds, it seems to me that home carry is prudent in the same manner of wearing your seatbelt. You dont plan on getting into an accident but it could happen, even if the chance is remote.

The beauty of CONCEALED carry is no one should see it. And yes, fully legal to CCW while on your own property, though I would be mindful of Twp Easements(IE, your property does not extend all the way to the curb).

I don't believe the town "owns" the easement. There is only an agreement with how that land will be used. 1/4 of my property is an easement.

Don't forget most towns have a no discharge ordinance. You could be legally carrying in your yard, but if the weapon is fired, you can be charged with a misdemeanor.

A violation of a town ordinance is a crime in NJ?

Don't forget most towns have a no discharge ordinance. You could be legally carrying in your yard, but if the weapon is fired, you can be charged with a misdemeanor.

Would that pertain to defending oneself? I think "no discharge" is more to do with practice shooting, etc? Anyway, in NJ I would carry when cutting the grass or sitting on our deck. Lived in a fairly safe neighborhood, but it only takes a second to have a life long regret. I carry all the time around the house because we have quit a bit of deer, racoons and other wildlife roaming around. Plus, I need the practice of carrying as it forces me to practicing drawing my weapon.

The entire time my power was out I carried... Felt like a movie around here how quiet it was.. Def and uneasy feeling...

My cousin went from "I don't need a gun" to realizing that if someone broke in he would literally be defenseless. We are now in the process of getting him a firearm. I did the same thing... I slept with my gun, well, not really. But it was ready for very quick access at any whimper or bark from our dog.

My cousin went from "I don't need a gun" to realizing that if someone broke in he would literally be defenseless. We are now in the process of getting him a firearm. I did the same thing... I slept with my gun, well, not really. But it was ready for very quick access at any whimper or bark from our dog.

That's my house 24/7. Well, at least the bedroom. Loaded and chambered weapon accessible in 1 second. Literally.

P229 1 in chamber, hammer down. OC'd while the power was out

Shield 1 in chamber, safety on. This is my CCW, but i just got it and my holster isnt here yet, so that stayed in the safe.

Full size M&P .40 in the bed room ready to go, one in chamber, in a bed-side locked box.

12GA Pump downstairs Full tube of 00 buck, slugs & buck in shell carrier.

AR in the safe with loaded mags ready to go if needed.

I dont usually carry around the house on a normal day, but with the power out and genny's running all over the place, i figured it wasnt a bad idea...

Wouldnt mind carrying all the time but it a PIA since i can only carry at home and usually wear sweats or PJs at night if i dont plan on leaving again. Not easy to carry in those types of clothes and i have a 5 year old so i can just "keep one close" all the time...

If I expected criminals were coming to my neighborhood to assault me or mine, I wouldn't be carrying a handgun. Just like I wouldn't be carrying a smoke alarm if I expected my stove to catch on fire.

Handguns are for when you are not expecting trouble.

Based on what? They are there for show?

If I was expecting trouble I'd be carrying a carbine or a shotgun. I carry handguns when I am not expecting trouble because they are made to be worn and are not considered offensive weapons by the public.

Actually, handguns are considered WORSE than long guns by the public, these days. (discounting the "evil assault weapons" of course). Their reasoning is "80% of the people who are killed with guns are killed with handguns"... you watch: handguns will become the next "evil", because they are so easily concealed.

Actually, handguns are considered WORSE than long guns by the public, these days. (discounting the "evil assault weapons" of course).  Their reasoning is "80% of the people who are killed with guns are killed with handguns"...  you watch: handguns will become the next "evil", because they are so easily concealed.

In public, nobody cares about handguns. In public, people take notice of rifles. Rifles are generally either for hunting or for offensive purposes and not things people normally carry around for no reason. If you see somebody wearing a handgun, you figure they are wearing a handgun for defense or security. If you see somebody carrying toolbox, you figure they plan to do something with it. They plan to fix something. If you see somebody carrying a rifle, you figure they plan to do something with it, they plan to shoot something.

In public, nobody cares about handguns. In public, people take notice of rifles. Rifles are generally either for hunting or for offensive purposes and not things people normally carry around for no reason. If you see somebody wearing a handgun, you figure they are wearing a handgun for defense or security. If you see somebody carrying toolbox, you figure they plan to do something with it. They plan to fix something. If you see somebody carrying a rifle, you figure they plan to do something with it, they plan to shoot something.

I don't think we disagree, but I think you'll find the populace (the anti-gun-owning public) at large has a much bigger problem with handguns than long guns... with the exception of the so-called "assault weapons." These days, handguns kill most people (military and terrorists excluded), and they know that.

But I get what you're saying- the VISUAL of a rifle is more scary to them than ten people carrying CCW around them. I contend if they knew those people were CCW, they would have as big, if not a bigger, a problem as they do with the long gun.

Besides, all you'd have to is put on camo AND A SAFETY ORANGE HAT, and they'd mistake you for a hunter... wouldn't give the rifle a second thought. But then that's the clueless public for you.

In public, nobody cares about handguns. If you see somebody wearing a handgun, you figure they are wearing a handgun for defense or security.

Well that is what we figure. As ruger9 said, there are a TON of people who are completely ignorant about firearms, and when THEY see someone carrying a handgun, they think either "must be a cop" or "OH MY GOD HE IS GOING TO KILL EVERYONE!!!"

:)

For what it's worth, I am always either armed or with immediate access to loaded firearms at home, and I always carry in the 2 states I frequent that I am allowed to.

Carrying is one thing, where would you cock the hammer while holstered? A cartridge in the chamber and condition-1? What about mag pouch(s)?

I am not sure I understand this question? Where you carry does not have too much effect on how you carry. Certainly condition 1.

I have 3 1911's staged in the house and they are all at condition 1. Extra mags? That is up to the individual. I feel 7+1 is plenty, unless there is riotting in the streets.

I live in Northampton County and I carry a handgun openly, in public, EVERY day of the year, except when covered by a coat. Often at stores that have dozens (10%+) of their license plates from jersey and NY. There are no more than 2 days per month I am not in public at some point.

Over the past 6 years, nobody every ran out of a grocery store, shopping mall, convenience store, or Bed Bath and Beyond with their hair on fire. You guys are way overestimating the reaction to somebody seeing the carry of a handgun in public.

I do agree with Ruger9m, that a very significant minority of the population demonizes handguns. I think those two points by him and me have been fully explored.

I get you. And you are right. I wasn't referring to everybody. I probably generalized a bit too much. My point was, there are people (particularly in places like NJ), that do freak out over the sight of a firearm. I was joking about the particular reaction, but I've witnessed someone pull an about face and scurry off at the sight of a pistol!